Instead of using cream of Tartar, usually i try to replace with lemon juices
Since this cake bake using a normal round cake pan, thus you have to beat the meringue close to peak, a small curve at the tip.
Every oven is difference ! i find my new oven's temp is slightly on high side, so i placed four corners with empty baking pan to reduce the temperature inside the oven.
So i would able to get a no crack and steady cake! This was baked using 8" cake pan, so it look short.
I brought this matcha cake to my friend's potluck gathering, served with homemade red bean paste and cream, it was good !
As for my daughter's Birthday cake, i baked a 7" cake..
I sandwich the cake with white chocolate mousse and red bean cream , and decorated naked way just with white chocolate and matcha powder.
The cross section of this Birthday cake
Matcha Sponge Cake 抹茶海绵蛋糕4 egg yolks (A size)15g caster sugar60g corn oil or sunflower oil60g fresh milk80g cake flour10g Matcha powder4 egg white (A size)70g caster sugar1tsp lemon juicesMethod1. Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar. Add in corn oil, stir to mix well.2. Add in milk, mix well. Sift cake flour and matcha powder together . Add in cake flour and matcha powder three batches, mix well, set aside.3. Add lemon juices into egg white, beat till foamy.4. Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks or close to stiff peak.5. Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.6. Fold the balance of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture, combine well.7. Pour batter into the pan (with a removable bottom cake pan, Not a non-stick round pan, line baking paper at the bottom) , bake at pre-heated oven at 140c for 25-30mins (at lower rack), then increase to 170C and continue to bake for 30mins. (If you find your oven temp is on high side, you can place few empty baking at the sides to lower down the temp inside the oven.8. Remove cake pan from the oven, cool 1-2 mins on a wire rack. If you see the cake leave the sides of the pan, immediately remove the cake and baking paper. Continue to cool on wire rack. If not, use a think and sharp spatula, run the sides of the cake pan, remove the cake.To decorate, optionalTo make white chocolate mousse100g UHT whipping cream50g white chocolate25g UHT whipping cream1tsp gelatine powder1tbsp waterMethod
- Beat 100g dairy whipping cream over a bowl of iced cold water till soft peak, keep in the refrigerator.
- Microwave white chocolate with 25g dairy whipping cream for 30sec, stir to mix well.
- While microwave the white chocolate, melt gelatine powder with water over a bowl of simmering water.
- Immediately add into white chocolate mixture, stir to well combine.
- Soon the white chocolate mixture has cooled down (don’t need to wait completely cool down), bring whipped cream out from refrigerator, immediately add in white chocolate mixture and stir to combine well.
- Pour white chocolate mousse into the cake ring or cake pan, smooth the top. Keep in the refrigerator for overnight. Decorate as desired.To make red bean cream170g red bean paste, I used homemade100g UHT whipping creamMethod
- Beat whipping cream over a bowl of iced water till soft peak.
- Fold in red bean paste, mix well.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover