Also time to use this baking weights that bought long time ago too..If you don't have this, just replaced with beans or just omit but prick holes on the pastry.
To prepare Pastry Cream or Creme Patissiere
Strawberry Tarts草莓塔*for a 10cm x 25cm rectangular tart pan, and 11.5cm diameter round tart panSweet Pastry Crust85g unsalted butter, cold from fridge50g icing sugarA pinch of salt30g egg20g ground almond150g cake flour or Top flour
- Add cake flour, ground almond and icing sugar in a mixing bowl, rub in unsalted butter till resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add in egg, mix until form dough, use a cling film, place pastry on it, shape it like a disc, wrap and store in fridge for 1 hour.
- Use a rolling pin, roll the pastry into thin sheet, transfer over to prepared tarts pan (with removable bottom), trim off excess dough. Prick dough with a fork, then leave to rest for about 5mins in the freezer for baking.
- Place a sheet of aluminium foil over the pastry, place baking weights into the tart tin. Plae the tart tin in to a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15-20mins.
- Carefully remove weights and aluminium foil, return to bake for another 10mins or until golden brown. Leave to cool on a wire rackPastry Cream or Creme Patissiere200g fresh milk or full cream milk1/2tsp vanilla extract2 egg yolks30g sugar13g plain flour13g corn flourMethod
- Add vanilla extract into milk in a saucepan, bring to a boil over low heat (turn off heat when you see bubbles at the side)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolk and sugar until pale, add flour and corn flour, stir to mix well until no lumps.
- First add in a bit of hot milk, whisk it till well combine. Then slowly pour in hot milk, and whisk all the time till combine well.
- Return mixture into a saucepan, and cook it over low heat, constantly whisk the mixture until thick and smooth. Set aside to coolTo assemble strawberry tart, fill pastry cream in a piping bag, then pipe on the ready tart case, top with fresh strawberry, dusting with icing sugar or you may apply with apricot jelly.
Recipe reference to Sunday Home Baking cookbook, by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover