The nasi lemak kukus simply lemak and fragrance !
Retain the cooked oil used to deep fry ikan bilis to cook the Sambal ikan bilis, so aromatic!
Toast the belacan still powder form
I love fried peanuts in my nasi lemak !
Must not miss in Nyonya nasi lemak, Sambal belacan, use pestle and mortar sound more authentic !
wrap with homegrown banana leaf, extra fragrance !
Love this sambal ikan bilis !
Nyonya Nasi Lemak 娘惹椰浆饭Nasi Lemak Kukus (steamed coconut rice )3 cups rice (I used Jasmine rice), wash and change water 3 times, soak in water 30mins3 slices ginger, julienned4 blades pandan leaves, knotted2 cups water1 cup coconut milk1tsp salt
- Add 2 cups water with rice, mix with ginger and pandan leaves, steam over medium heat for 20mins.
- Add salt with coconut milk. Add 1/3 of coconut milk into rice, fluff rice with chopsticks. Continue to steam for 5mins.
- Fluff rice with chopsticks, then add in 1/3 of coconut milk and steam for 5mins. Add in the balance coconut milk, continue to steam for 5mins. Remove steamer from heat and set aside to cool.Toasted belacan (shrimps paste) – add two cubes of belacan in a non-stick frying pan, heat up over low flame, stir till dry and become powder form.Deep fried ikan bilis (anchovies ) – Heat up ½ cup cooking oil, deep fry 70g ikan bilis till golden brown, set aside and retain the cooked oil.Fried peanuts – pan fry peanuts (wash and dry it) with little cooking oil till golden brown.Hard boiled eggs and cucumberSambal ikan bilis ( anchovies sambal)160g fresh red chili (15chili)5 small red chili120g shallots, sliced4 lemongrass, sliced2 sprig kaffir lime leaves20g tamarind paste plus 1/4 cup water, remove seeds and retain the water1/2tsp turmeric powder1tbsp roasted belacan powder3tbsp sugarMethod
- Blend fresh red chili , shallots and lemongrass till fine.
- Heat the cooked oil ( oil used to fry ikan bilis), add in blend chili paste and kaffir lime leaves, sauté for 5mins.
- Add in toasted belacan powder and turmeric powder, continue to sauté for 5mins.
- Add in tamarind water and sugar, continue to sauté till thicken.
- Last turn off the heat, add in fried ikan bilis and mix well. Dish out.Sambal Belacan5 fresh red chili2 fresh small red chili2tsp toasted belacan powderMethod
- Use a pestle and mortar, pound chili till fine.
- Add in belacan powder and mix well.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover