How to make the salted egg yolks custard filling
I got some with shrunk bao skin. Next time i have to increase the bao dough for each bun.
Liu Sha Bao (Molten Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun) 黃金流沙包Custard filling70 g castor sugar65 custard powder55 milk powder100g butter, room temperature3 salted egg yolk (approx 50 g), steamed2 tbsp evaporated milk
- Mashed the steamed salted egg yolks with a fork.
- Mix castor sugar, custard powder and milk powder in a large mixing bowl and stir well.
- Add in butter and evaporated milk and use a silicone spatula, mix until it becomes a paste.
- Add in mashed salted egg yolks and mix thoroughly. Put filling into fridge or freezer to firm up.
- Use an ice cream scoop, scoop about 20g custard filling each, put back into fridge to harden before wrap with bao dough.Pumpkin bao dough250g Hong Kong Flour or Bao flour (I used bluekey Bao flour)1 and 1/4tsp instant yeast70g pumpkin puree60g caster sugar2tsp vegetable shortening1/2tsp double action baking powder1/8tsp salt55g water or adjust accordinglyMethod1. Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, Bao flour, instant yeast, sugar, double action baking powder and salt, mix well.2. Rub in shortening , add in pumpkin puree, slow add in water (adjust accordingly ), knead became smooth and not sticky dough.Cover with damp cloth and rest for 60mins.5. Knock down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.6. Equally divide into 17 portions, roll into ball, set aside to rest for 10mins.7. Fatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Place custard filling onto the center and pleat up the sides and seal.8. Place the bao (seam side down) onto a piece of greaseproof paper, on the rack for steaming. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise for another 30-45mins.9. Steam the bao over medium low heat for about 10 -15mins.10. Remove from steamer and serve warm.
Filling recipe refer to here, bao dough recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover