Nowadays we can easily see peoples selling Okonomiyaki in pasar malam (night market) , but I hope after this post, they are going to sell this Hashimaki or Okonomiyaki on chopsticks ^_^.
According to here, Hashimaki is a typical festival snack from the Kansai region, it is similar to Okonomiyaki. Therefore, it will also often called Okonomiyaki on chopsticks. Translated mean "hashi" = chopsticks and "maki" role or something rolled.
Before I can prepare the Hashimaki, i have to collect enough of the disposable chopsticks. So every time I went to tapau (pack foods from outside) , I insist the seller to give me chopsticks, earlier I always refused for disposable chopsticks.
Prepare the batter first..
preparing the Hashimaki..
I bought this brush from Osaka the other day, found it is so easy to lightly brush oil on the pan..
Hashimaki / Okonomiyaki on Chopsticks, so handy and cute !!
Hashimaki / Okonomiyaki on Chopsticks / 箸巻き2 eggs (large)200g water120g cabbage, shredded finely1 spring onion, chopped4 crabsticks, sliced2tsp dashi powder1/2tsp salt8 pair of disposable chopsticksOkonomiyaki sauceJapanese mayonnaiseKatsuobushi (bonita flakes)Furikake or Aonori (green laver)
- Mix the cabbage, carrot, egg, flour, dashi powder and water in a large bowl, combine well till no lumps.
- Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat and spread one ladle of batter on top part of the pan in oval shape.
- When the edges begin to dry, place a pair of chopsticks and roll the okonomiyaki, set aside and make the rest.
- Put them back in the pan, cover and cook under low fire until done, then cook the other side until golden brown.
- Top with Okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, bonita flakes and Furikake or Aonori.