I bought this tapioca at very good price, RM 1.50 for a long tapioca.
A bit tedious as you have to steam it for 3 times, but it is worth for the work spent, very natural and fragrance talam...
Kuih Talam Ubi (Tapioca talam)(Recipe source: inspired by a recipe published in Flavours Food magazine, with my own twist)
*makes a 8” round steam tray
Tapioca layer400g tapioca ,grated (processed in a food processor till fine, squeeze off excess liquid from the grated tapioca and become 300g)
200g coconut milk
2tbsp plain flour
135g sweet potato, steamed till soften
Sweet Potato layer
1tbsp rice flour
75g tapioca flour
70g coconut milk
Pandan layer3tbsp plain flour
2tbsp corn flour
1tbsp tapioca flour
2 eggs (large)
125g pandan juices (from blending 10 pandan leaves)
180g coconut milk
- To prepare tapioca layer. Combined grated tapioca, flour, coconut milk, sugar and salt.
- Spread tapioca paste evenly on a greased round tray, steam over high heat for 10mins.
- To prepare sweet potato layer .While steaming tapioca layer, mash the sweet potato and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Set aside.
- Once tapioca is done, slowly pour in sweet potato batter and steam for 15mins.
- To prepare pandan layer. While steaming sweet potato layer, combine all pandan ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well to mix.
- Strain mixture into a bowl and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water to cook, stirring continuously, until custard starts to thicken (able to coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat.
- Once sweet potato layer is done. Pour in pandan custard and steam for a further 15mins. Cool completely before cutting.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my Muslim blogger friends and readers, "Selamat Berbuka Puasa"