If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake 日式草莓蛋糕

The other day, my daughter complaint that I have quite a while did not bake a cake. So I ask her to suggest an easy cake, she suggested Japanese Strawberry Shortcake. Since I have all ingredients on hand , quickly search for a recipe and immediate bake this cake for her. Japanese Strawberry shortcake is a layered sponge cake with strawberry and whipped cream filling and frost with whipped cream, and this cake is very famous in Japan.


ssc2 copy

 
I choose not to frost the whole cake since this cake is not meant for any celebration..
ssc3 copy


ssc5 copy

 
The cake recipe requires only 4 ingredients, simple ingredients but resulted very light and spongy cake.
I always prefer to use Not a non-stick pan to bake sponge cake or chiffon cake. Also I prefer not to line any paper in the cake pan (partly due to I am lazy to do so, hehehe) , as I believe chiffon or sponge cake batter need a wall for them to climb up (since there is no rising agent added).

SSC0.JPG

 
Even this cake look girlish, but my son Lucas finished 4 slices from this small cake !!
ssc1 copy



Japanese Strawberry Shortcake 日式草莓蛋糕
(recipe source: inspired by The Little Teochew, adapted from ochikeron)
*makes a 6” x 2.5” round removable bottom cake pan

 Sponge cake

2 eggs (I used eggs directly from fridge)
60g caster sugar
ssc5 copy 60g Top flour or cake flour
20g melted unsalted butter

 Syrup
10ml hot water
1/2tbsp sugar
1/2tsp rum ( I used homemade vanilla extract)

Cream

150g whipping cream (dairy)
1tbsp caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract ( I used homemade vanilla  extract)

125g fresh strawberries  (half-chopped, half- for decorating on top)

 Method

  1. Add eggs in a mixing bowl, use a hand whisk, lightly stir well the eggs.
  2. Add in sugar, lightly mix well with eggs.
  3. Bring the mixing bowl over a pot of hot simmering water, use the hand whisk, continue to stir till sugar dissolved and until the mixture pleasant to touch.
  4. Remove the mixing bowl, immediately use an electric handheld mixer to beat the mixture until pale to white or ribbon stage (my mixer- 10mins at speed 3, 5mins at speed 1 (to eliminate large bubbles). In fact, you can beat it even longer than 15mins, to have better result).
  5. Sift in flour in 3 stages, cut through the mixture with a wire whisk after each addition.
  6. Sprinkle the cooled melted butter over the batter and fold in using a spatula.
  7. Pour the cake batter into the cake pan, towards the end, pour batter to one side of the pan (to minimize cake from developing a dome).
  8. Lift the tin and drop it gently onto the table top twice to eliminate air bubbles.
  9. Bake the cake at pre-heated oven at 170C for 25mins to 30mins (place at middle rack)
  10. While cake is baking, now prepare the syrup, dissolved sugar with hot water, add rum and mix well. Set aside.
  11. Add sugar, whipping cream and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Place the bowl over another bowl that filled with ice water, beat whipping cream till soft peak. Store in the fridge before decorating the cake.
  12. Once cake is done, cool it upside down onto a cooling wire rack. Once cake is cooled, slice the cake half.
  13. Brush sugar syrup on the first layer, then spread a layer cream on top, sprinkle chopped strawberries.
  14. Brush another layer with sugar syrup, then place it on top of the first layer, spread the remaining cream, then decorate with strawberries on top.
  15. Chill the cake before serve.


ssc14 copy

62 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

好好看的蛋糕
很适合女孩们的下午茶呢:)

Ling yuen chin said...

看起来好好吃哦!

小雨伞 said...

这蛋糕要是我也有份吃那就好了!!T_T

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

beautiful cake,so sweet

Baby Sumo said...

I use this recipe before, but didn't work for me. But your cake is very beautiful. Makes me feel like baking Jap strawberry shortcake again.

0620 said...

简单却不失华丽
有feel,呵呵!!

daphne said...

Your little girl is very lucky! Home made baked cake on request :) This looks so pretty and will make any princess feel special!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

这蛋糕有种甜蜜的感觉!

said...

好漂亮耶^^
吃多一块也不会腻~嘻嘻。。。

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Your girl is very blessed...

Esther Lau said...

Lovely & sweet!!!! I never bake Japanese shortcake,love to try this recipe :)

Crystal Loh said...

简单装饰我最爱。。

Yummy Bakes said...

Very pretty cake and your daughter is so lucky to have a mom who bakes so well like a pro.

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

I want a slice too :D

ice pandora said...

Baking a Japanese shortcake is
on my to-do list c; this version
looks GOOD! Xx

Li Shuan said...

Very beautiful Japanese short cake... Today i also make Japanese cake with strawberries ..hehe..ngam!

Simple and elegant! Lovely!

divya said...

looks simply awesome! Wonderfully prepared.

阿薷 said...

Beautiful cake....
look so yummy... =)

Jozelyn Ng said...

This is so yummy. Looks so nice even without covering the whole cake with cream.

Little Ghost said...

这样简单的装饰最耐看,而且蛋糕体很细幼,果然是nasi lemak lover 的功夫啊~:)

Little blue said...

Nice and taste~

Imo Teo said...

但看外表就delicious了~^^

MiChi said...

It really look tasty!! should try it out this weekend! thanks for sharing!

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hey A-Chi! Why you have never asked me what cake I like? :D

Ha.. I love strawberry shortcake too!

Angie's Recipes said...

Very girly and pretty!

Mel said...

Strawberry shortcake.....my all time favorite cake. Next time make a bigger cake as I know everyone go for seconds.....

PH said...

Sonia, your cake is very pretty and looks very Japanese style! I would love to eat that cake but my family don't like strawberries.

Joceline Lor said...

虽然材料简单,但是味道和口感就不简单了。应该好好吃。小朋友喜欢。

Elaine said...

Good morning Ms Sonia,
Lovely cake and lucky girl.
Same for me when Sarah ask me, I will bake for her too. y!

Sem said...

Very beautiful, I would love to make this one day,but need to pick up the baking mood again maybe due to hot weather.

Gloria Baker said...

Sonia these look beautiful and delicious really pretty:)

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
这样的蛋糕,总让人feel到温暖~~ 窝心~~~

Unknown said...

Sonia,this cake is simple but delicious.

Small Kucing said...

They are so dainty

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! Strawberry shortcake was my favorite childhood dessert, true!
I never knew my fave dessert was popular in Japan too!
Your recipe and photo delight!
Cheers! Joanne

Mich Piece of Cake said...

I love this cake! Looks like the one we buy from Four Leaves bakery, very professionally done.

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

Your cake so beautiful. My mother also said it has been quite a while I did not bake. How I wish I could take your cake and give it to my mother :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Simply beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Would like to ask whereabouts did you get your cake tin from? Is it aluminium?

Unknown said...

Here's another great basic cake recipe from you. Can I double the recipe to make it to 8 inch cake tin?

Unknown said...

Any other fruits I can put besides strawberry? kiwi? I love all your basic cake recipe. Really love it so much. All my birthday cakes always turn out so well. Really appreciate your effort to share the recipe here. Thanks & Muacks!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Anonymous (may I know your name please), this is just a normal aluminium pan.

Angeline, Thanks for your support. Yes, you can make it to 8" size, but beat the egg batter longer, maybe 30mins, and adjust the baking time accordingly. Should be no problem to put other fruits than strawberry, but you can't call this as Japanese strawberry sponge cake if you have replaced with other fruits!

Ana Regalado said...

That is one beautiful cake , Sonia ! Just like the ones they're selling here :D

Unknown said...

Ya understood with that. Japanese strawberry shortcake right? hehehe wish u have a nice weekend.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Your strawberry shortcake looks perfect! My son loves shortcake and have requested it before. Maybe one day I'll give it a try! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia

Could you explain what you meant by "sprinkle oil" . Thanks

Anonymous said...

My favourite strawberry shortcake!
I always have problem making really super moist cake.
Is there any secrets to baking moist cakes even after frosting and gone inti the fridge?
Really need your expert advice as i am going to bake a cake for my mil's birthday this weekend. Thanks Sonia!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Anonymous (may I know your name please)

-Sprinkle oil or melted butter meant not pour melted butter at one go instead sprinkle the melted butter gently into batter as not to deflate the batter.

- this shortcake is slightly on dry side as this is how a sponge cake texture look llike. if you prefer a moist cake, then you may try my pure vanilla sponge cake which using egg separation method.

Unknown said...

can you advice ?? for 2 eggs do we need to beat (+-) 8 - 10 minutes??
Normally i beaten around 4 minutes the batter will become very stiff. Is it over beat?? when i stir in flour with spatula the batter turn to yellowish and a lot of bubble, and my cake got a lot of hole. Can u advice . TQVM

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Apple flower, it is really up to you, you can beat 4mins and you get difference texture.when you add in flour and see a lot of bubbles, that means the batter already deflate, maybe due to under beat and egg batter is not stable .

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for your prompt reply

Unknown said...

for 2 eggs what is the speed and duration to beat the egg batter?

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I use sponge mix flour for the cake?

teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, I will be baking this cake tomorrow morning. May I ask why did you use cold eggs? Can I replace castor sugar (sponge cake and cream) to normal sugar? Does it mean I will get a very flat cake if I line the tray? My tray size is 6"x3". Thanks!

Unknown said...

am i able to make a strawberry shortcake with your golden spongecake recipe? I love the texture and taste of that recipe!

Anson Vo said...

Made this just then! It turned out so perfectly, so moist and fluffy. Thank you for sharing your recipe :)

Anonymous said...

Can we make this cake using your golden sponge cake recipe?

Thanks
Jessica

enen said...

Hi nasilemaklover!

May i know why my cake batter never rise? It cooks and it always soft and light but doesnt rise when its baking hmm

http://dapurresepnusantara.blogspot.com/ said...

That is one beautiful cake

Anonymous said...

Hay guys if you are here for recipes then checkout strawberries Shortcake recipe that I have cooked before. You will surely like, checkout the review people are giving on it. I think I did a great job by posting this recipe.

plasterer bristol said...

This sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Simon

Melissa said...

HI! What's the cake height supposed to be when come out of oven in 6 inch pan using this recipe?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin