If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Copycat KXC fried chicken (Original) 山寨版肯记炸雞


Both my son Desmond and hubby also said that this Copycat KXC fried chicken tasted like the real KXC fried chicken original flavours ^_^.

updated on 26 Jul 2013-i made changes to the title due to the fried chicken name is a registered trademark.



KFC1 copy

 
The other day I accidently found this video of double breading of fried chicken technique. It was shared by 月儿妈妈It is a way to get crispy chicken by double breading the chicken and immersion frying (dip chicken in water). I was curious this new method and quickly try out this method and am so happy with the result. The chicken stayed crisps for at least an hour.
Understand the famous KXC fried chicken is made with several herbs and spices, so I also mix and match with difference herbs and spices, and surprisingly my copycat KXC fried chicken taste very close to the original flavours of real KXC ^_^.
 

KFC3

 Lets see how 月儿妈妈 's method
First toss chicken pieces with flour and press firmly and hard on the chicken as to let more flour stick on chicken pieces
KFC8

Place floured chicken pieces in the colander

KFC5

 
    put the colander in the water and immediately lift it up, remove excess water.

KFC6

Place wet chicken pieces back to the flour
KFC7

again toss the chicken with flour and press firmly and hard on the chicken as to let more flour stick on chicken pieces
KFC8

 
Then deep fry the chicken (check below recipes on the tips of deep frying method)
KFC9

 
This is the mixed herbs (contains several type of herbs)  that I use, bought it from Switzerland last time. If you can't find this, just simply replace with Italian mixed herbs.
 
















This is the Paprika that I used

I hope you can try this out at home, so you can impress your kids ^_^
KFC2 copy

And trust me you just need to use normal plain flour (don't need to add rice flour, corn flour or potato flour, I tried, the crust turn a bit hard), you can have the crispy fried chicken. Next time I going to try with cake flour, I suspect it will get better result!
And maybe try with Third breading?
Or use pressure cooker to fry? Like how KXC did..so many methods to try out again..hehehe..

Copycat KXC fried chicken (Original) 山寨版肯记炸雞
(recipe source: frying chicken method from 月儿妈妈 , marinate and flour recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

1.3kg chicken pieces (I use 6 chicken drumsticks, 2 chicken wings, 2 chicken thighs (halved)

KFC copy
Marinate ingredients
1tbsp oyster sauce
1/2tbsp light soy sauce
2 shallot, grated
½” ginger, grated
2tsp salt
2tsp sugar
White pepper powder

Flour mixture ingredients
300g plain flour 普通面粉
2tsp mixed herbs 混合香草
1tsp cumin powder小茴香粉
1tsp Sweet Hungarian Paprika 红甜椒粉
1/4tsp five-spice powder 五香粉
1tsp salt
Black pepper powder 黑胡椒粉
White pepper powder 白胡椒粉

Method

  1. Marinate chicken pieces with marinate ingredients at least 4 hours.
  2. Mix flour mixture ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
  3. When ready to cook, prepare a basin of clean water and a colander.
  4. Toss chicken pieces with flour and press firmly and hard on the chicken as to let more flour stick on chicken pieces.
  5. Place floured chicken pieces in the colander, put the colander in the water and immediately lift it up, remove excess water.
  6. Place wet chicken pieces back to the flour, again toss the chicken with flour and press firmly and hard on the chicken as to let more flour stick on chicken pieces.
  7. Heat enough cooking oil in a pot over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, reduce heat to Low to medium( I use Low heat), then put in the floured chicken pieces, deep fry for 10mins. Then increase heat to High, continue to deep fry for 2-3mins or until golden brown. (** in order to have crunchy crust, chicken pieces must be fully submerged and covered by hot oil. The last 2-3mins deep fry on High heat is to remove oil and to have less oily fried chicken).
  8. After frying, place chicken on a wire rack to remove excess oil. The fried chicken stayed crisp for at least 1 hour.

67 comments:

Qi Qi in the house said...

山寨版的KFC炸鸡,
依然是好吃到吮手指!
卖相好得实在让人口水大流啦!

Unknown said...

太吸引人了
我也喜欢呢
自家的更香 更好吃

Faeez said...

Wonderful sharing Sonia! I will definitely try this recipe & mtd since my family loves KFC chicken.v Just 1 question, what 'mixed herb' are u referring to?

Little blue said...

不可以让我家的宝贝看到,不然她一定吵个不休!!不过。。。食谱一定要收藏,周末才来慢慢搞!!谢谢咯!!

小雨伞 said...

我来吃肯德“鸡”的,哈哈哈!
顺便带走食谱。。。 :D

Mel said...

Oh, a first time for me to come across of dipping the flour coated chicken into the water. I think alot of us after seeing your post here will try this out soon as almost everyone loves the KFC. We can have our own crisp KFC at home now. And thanks to Sonia!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Faeez, I just uploaded the mixed herbs photo in this post, check it out.

0620 said...

So ngam de
Today lunch i will go for Original KFC haha!!
But yours definitely more healthy lol

TummyDog said...

Wah.. I love kfc.. must try this recipe

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Sonia, this home-cooked KFC chicken is indeed great and tempting. Besides, it's definitely healthier than the original commercial KFC. I always discourage my children to eat KFC. Now I can give them the green light to take home-cooked KFC chicken, hehehe... Thanks so much for sharing, Sonia :)

Karen said...

哇。。卖相好得让我口水大流了,又是午餐时间,肚子在乱打鼓了,哈哈。。这个一定要试做。hehe

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

I like the crumbs! My 1st impression is they look like the real KFC. I haven't checked the recipe but will try to copy your recipe for my next homemade KFC, thanks!

Papa Cooks said...

Hi, Sonia,

The chicken looks devilishly gorgeous! I will have something to try on this the weekend! Thanks for sharing, yah!

Li Shuan said...

哇,真的跟KFC的卖相一模一样叻。。。可能更好都有! 自己家的KFC包是好吃到吮手指啦。。。这个我现在不能吃,等喉咙痛好了才来。现在望梅止渴先

Unknown said...

Wa... this is good le, must try this, thanks.

ann low said...

WOW! I definitely want to try this new method. Really look like KFC :D

PH said...

Wah! I so excited lah! Thanks Sonia, for sharing this secret recipe with us. When I recover from sore throat, I will try it!

mflow said...

Sonia, thanks for sharing this great recipe,yummy yummy...

Ling yuen chin said...

KFC 我也要试,周末去买鸡来炸!!

珊珊 said...

如果我也可以煮出这道kfc fried chicken...我的孩子肯定爱死我了。。。哈哈哈!! 谢谢分享!!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

ok,学会了这个
以后我不要吃正牌的了
哈哈

Angelic Heart~ said...

Impressive! looks exactly same as KFC~

Esther Lau said...

Wow!Figure licking good!!!! This method is very special, I like to try this recipe!!!!! Delicious!!!!!

Jozelyn Ng said...

This is a video post in FB 妈妈们的私房菜 last year and the fried chicken stay crispy for few hours actually.

Yummy Bakes said...

Thanks for sharing. Looks authentic and finger licking!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Curious what is Sweet Hungarian Paprika 红甜椒粉

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

你也太厉害了吧,连这世纪炸鸡都难不倒你,
哈。。。。。。我来吃香香的SFC炸鸡了,
但看卖相,就投你一票了,yeah!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, I really thought these are KFC. Must bookmark this to do for the children.

Victoria Bakes said...

this is so impressive Sonia! you did it again!

Unknown said...

Looks finger licking good!

Winston said...

Wooooooooow I am SO hungry from this recipe it does look exactly like KFC well done!! So happy that you shared the Colonel's secret to the famous fried chicken. Soon, will we see your face in fast food restaurants around the world too?? =D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sharon, I again attached the photo, check it out ^_^

My Little Space said...

Kudos Sonia! Homemade KFC....I think KFC going to kill all of us(the blogger).haha....
Enjoy your weekend.
Kristy

茵茵 said...

Yummy yummy yummy!!! It sure looks like the real KFC and I bet it tastes similar too! Gonna try this one day. Thanks for sharing!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

谢谢分享!
这炸鸡真的太好, 明天去买鸡腿炸给孩子们吃!

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

Such an amazing method of frying, I guess it can also be used on other deep frying recipes. Must give it a try soon!!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

banyak pandai sonia, KFC now have big competitor liao, hahahaha

Anonymous said...

So tempting. I tried adding vodka to get a crispy skin.

Alice said...

it indeed looks like the original version of KFC chicken
I have to try this, my boy LOVES KFC chicken!
thks Sonia for sharing :)

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Wow! I'm no longer a fan of KFC chicken but Mc'D.
But! I have no objections to enjoy your copycat version, dear. This is too good and too crispy! The method of soaking into water is really new to me!!! Thanks for sharing them with us! Love it... ;)

~~louise~~ said...

You sure must have one happy family, Sonia!

Thank you so much for sharing this method with step by step directions. We love KFC around here and I may even be able to actually make this!

Thanks for sharing...

Sissi said...

Sonia, please don't tempt me... Your chicken looks so similar and so luscious! We don't have KFC in Switzerland so I would really be tempted to make it at home and then most probably devour the whole batch on my own ;-) (KFC used to be my favourite fastfood).

Anonymous said...

Sonia,

Replace the water with a beaten eggs. The remaining preparation is the same. The crust will be more crunchy and very golden brown. A method we use a lots in North America!

Stephie

Crystal Loh said...

哇!是真的好像。
美味及了。

哎哟、sonia找天我要行动试试,希望我成功。

Anonymous said...

Blanching the floured chicken piece is really a new mwthod for me,
tepting to try!
thx for sharing this Sonia

Imo Teo said...

好吃到吮手指啊~^^

CQUEK said...

i love drumstick, while watching t.v. yummy!

Unknown said...

我昨天也试炸了,好吃。。。下次是你的flour mix,口感丰富

Chef and Sommelier said...

Chi, you can cook and bake anything, can't you?! :D

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Fried chicken look simply awesome. Wonderfully prepared.
Deepa

divya said...

Thanks for sharing. Looks authentic and finger licking!

Veronica said...

You did it, Sonia! Yours look exactly like KFC, must be fingers licking good. Thanks for sharing. Bet KFC sales will drop, heehee.

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Sonia, this fried chicken is 好吃到吮手指!!! :) must be better than KFC one!

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day Sonia and yum, true!
Have a questions...but placing the chicken in water and then coating it, when it hits the hot oil, it does't get out of control as oil and water don't mix...
Also when I used to have this chicken in the States, I always found after I bought it, I would place it in the oven in a drip pan and more oil came out of the chicken, but not affecting the taste or crunchiness too! Thank
you!
Cheers! Joanne
http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Wow!These look really like the real deal . So crispy & yummy! I must make this ASAP as my family love KFC. And we can get herbs de Provence easily over here ! Thanks for sharing this recipe ; My family will be delighted!

LEY said...

O Ya, I have tried her method before and it is really crispy, but thanks to your sharing here for the marination part, i got to buy both Paprika & cumin powder first :p

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , you are awesome ! I haven't deep-fried chicken for months so this recipe comes at the right time lol Another fantastic recipe to steal ;D

Cecilia Yap said...

Wow ..looked exactly like KFC. I want to be your neighbor so that I can have all this yummy food.

Vi Vian said...

Thanks for the share! Can't wait to try it myself and hopefully turn out as good as yours does!

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, your KFC look awesome, finger licking good.

I'd tried this out last Sunday, it was really good and so easy. My son love it very much. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Have a nice day.

Kelvin said...

Hello NLL,

I love yr receipe and tried this 炸鸡食谱 a few times.
The problem was that the battered skin tasted tough..I wonder is it e deep coating causes this problem?

Anonymous said...

You think it'll work on an airfryer ???? :)

Franchise Fried Chicken said...

Salam Kenal dari Toko Waralaba Fried Chicken

Recipes Online said...

These look delish. I certainly will try making this recipe. Thanks.

faryal naaz said...

It really gives me an insight on this topic.
corporate catering

Unknown said...

hello may i know mean plain flour? is it all purpose flour?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

vivi cutes, yes all purpose flour

Blog Widget by LinkWithin