If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ulu Yam Loh Mee (Braised vinegar noodles soup) 烏魯音卤麵

 
Whenever we came down from Genting highland trip, usually we will detour to Ulu Yam Lama for a good Loh Mee, I think you might also did the same way. Here is a video talk about the origin of Ulu Yam Loh Mee, check it out if you know Chinese. Loh Mee is quite common in Tai Chou (noodles stall) in KL and Selangor, but Ulu Yam Loh Mee has slight difference as they pre-added dark vinegar into the soup.




lm16 copy

 
Understand Ulu Yam Loh Mee is using homemade noodles but not yellow noodles like those Hokkien mee. I bought this noodle from wet market, they called it as Shan Mian 生麵 

lm1

 
This is must have item-dark vinegar Yongchun Laocu 永春老醋
lm3

 
Ingredients used for a good Ulu Yam Loh Mee
lm2


lm16.jpg

 
two ingredients to make it thick soup- Egg and tapioca flour water
lm9


lm10

Ulu Yam Loh Mee, you can add extra dark vinegar if you prefer more sour..
lm15 copy



lm14 copy


Ulu Yam Loh Mee(Braised vinegar noodles soup)烏魯音卤麵
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover) ** serves 5

700g noodles ( Shan Mian ) 生麵 , lightly wash away the starch with tap water ,you may replace with yellow noodles
lm13 copy 120g green mustard ( sayur sawi ), cut into 2” length
100g lean pork slices (add 1tsp tapioca flour and a pinch of salt, mix well)
15pcs medium prawns
1tbsp fried pork lard
3 shallots, sliced
2 garlic, chopped

Seasonings
3tbsp dark caramel soy sauce
1tbsp light soy sauce
2tsp salt or to taste
Pepper

5tbsp dark vinegar Yongchun Laocu 永春老醋

1.7litre chicken stock (hot boiling)

3 eggs, lightly beaten
35g tapioca flour + 1/4cup water, mix well (you might not use all)

Method

  1. Heat oil (with fried pork lard oil) in a wok, sauté shallots and garlic till aroma.
  2. Add in green mustard, then immediately add in hot boiling chicken stock.
  3. Once stock has boiled, add in noodles, mix well. Add in all seasonings except vinegar, cook till noodles turned soft.
  4. Add in prawns and meat, cook for a while. Then add in egg, mix well. Add in tapioca flour water to further thicken the soup as desired.
  5. Last add in dark vinegar, dish out and serve hot ( add more dark vinegar as per your preference).

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Kuala Lumpur Selangor Month hosted by Shannon of Just As Delish

36 comments:

Joceline Lor said...

这个的问道出自猪肉和醋,味道很不错的。和肥面捞在一起吃,真的很棒。你好厉害哦!
下次我就学煮这个吧!

Jozelyn Ng said...

Looks do yummmy, I believe the pork lard and vineger is the main ingredients for this loh mee.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

好,决定了,周末我要吃这个:)

0620 said...

要我煮,就晕晕晕 @@""
所以嘛 妳好帮的lor

daphne said...

being pregger- I would love the vinegar taste of this noodles. I didn't know the difference till you pointed out the noodles!

irene myme said...

美味哦。。yummy!
我家现在没有黑醋,要不然今晚就可以煮这道了!谢谢你的分享!^o^

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

很赞的面, 这几天也要煮这面条。
煮面好过煮饭菜, 一样就搞点了, 不必又鸡又鱼又汤的, 烦!

Karen said...

Looks so yummy... especially with the extra park lard and vineger.. thumbs up..

Ling yuen chin said...

Wow, I love loh mee Soooo much!

Unknown said...

Looks so delicious and makes me hungry!.

Mich Piece of Cake said...

I don't think I have ever seen this Shang mian in Singapore... This loh mee looks so good with that thick and rich sauce.

Baby Sumo said...

I have heard about this famous loh mee before but never tried. Looks so good, I must try one day!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

The lor mee looks so different from the lor mee i eat...

Esther Lau said...

I never try Ulu Yam Loh Mee before, but i'm sure it must be tasty to eat with that dark vinegar!!!Yummy!!!!

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

Looks like ulu yam loh mee. Must be delicious. My whole family love to eat loh mee. Thanks for sharing.

Small Kucing said...

funny i should read this post coz this afternoon was talking with a friend in FB and she told me there is a good Ulu Yam Noodle in Setia Alam. Ask me to go try out.

LOL....after seeing your recipe, i think I better go and try out how this noodle taste like

ann low said...

Looks very delicious indeed. I must try this one day.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

You always make excellent savory and sweet recipes, Sonia! The noodles look so fresh and delicious - I wish I can get those fresh noodles from the store (but nearly impossible in the US). :( I love this recipe!

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , love the look of this noodles - the gravy's so thick and flavorsful ! Delicious !!!!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

William saw the pictures of your noodles & quick quick come to my laptop, hahaha! This kind of wet noodles ngam me!

divya said...

Looks so delicious and makes me hungry!.

Little blue said...

This mee made me so hungry~

Agnes CF Lee said...

This is one of my favourite mee, I like its sour taste, but it is not popular in KK.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Soup looks so inviting and delicious. Just by looking at it I am feeling hungry. To think that I just had lunch 15 minutes back.
Deepa

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, this noodles look so yummy!! another good sharing from you, I need to go to buy the 猪油!

Cecilia Yap said...

Looks delicious. Ngam my taste too. Tks for sharing.

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

I like this type of noodle, it must taste delicious with vinegar! So hungry now :)

QembarDelites said...

Long time didn't eat loh mee already, you cook it so well!

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

The noodle looks absolutely delicious, you cooked it so well, yummy!! ~

lena said...

delicious looking! whenever i take loh mee, i will ask for extra vinegar!

CQUEK said...

What a great looking dish!

PH said...

Sonia, this noodle looks very sedap! There used to be a Hokkien Mee stall behind my office that sell loh mee something like this. Got put vinegar but I don't know if it is the same as this one.

Sissi said...

The noodles look so delicious! I love black vinegar. I have discovered it when I started to cook Sichuan dishes and I have fallen in love.

LEY said...

this is my favourite! 流口水了

WendyinKK said...

Next time I should try this after coming down from Genting :)

Anonymous said...

Tried and its proven delicious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin