I made this light sponge cupcakes the other day, using fresh orange juices. This is a type of cupcake has no burden to your body, light and less oily.
use freshly squeeze orange juices
In fact, I made this orange cupcakes 3 times in a row. Earlier i learnt that we have to use cold eggs from fridge to make a nice sponge cake, refer to my earlier castella cake. But this recipe I was referred, required to warm the eggs, so I tried out to see any differences.
I tried out 3 methods:-
1. Warm the eggs and beat using hand electric mixer, for 15mins - rough texture, big air pockets
2. Warm the eggs and beat using KA stand mixer, for 15mins - fine texture and light
3. Eggs cold from the fridge and beat using KA stand mixer, for 15mins - fine texture and light, yield more cupcakes than method no 2.
So my conclusion is using eggs cold from the fridge and use stand mixer to beat, yield better cupcakes ! You can still use hand mixer to make sponge cake, but I prefer to use stand mixer not only for better result, also we can rest our hands, holding mixer for 15mins is not an easy task. My Chinese blogger friend 随心歇息站 also like to use cold egg method when make sponge cake.
The batter have to very pale to white, thick, and not runny ...
You can see the difference from this photo, left is method no 2 (warm eggs+stand mixer), right is method no 3 (cold eggs + stand mixer)..
Ya, one more thing, i also prefer this type of ordinary paper liners, you can see cake is perfectly stick to the liner.
You must fill batter about 90% full
I like to see these cupcakes baking in the oven..
This cupcake is slightly on sweet side but the sweetness still acceptable, try not to reduce the sugar amount as more sugar will make this cupcake moist..Ya, make sure you beat over high speed initially as to beat up the egg, when you see more volume, then gradually reduce the speed.
Orange Sponge Cupcakes香橙海棉小蛋糕(recipe source: basic recipe adapted from this Chinese website, using own method ) **makes 11 cupcakes (using 12 holes muffin pan)
25g corn oil35g fresh squeeze orange juices
3 eggs (large), cold from fridge
95g caster sugar
100g Top flour or cake flour
1/4tp fine salt
1 orange rind
- Mix corn oil and orange juices together, set aside
- Mix flour and salt together, sift them twice, set aside
- Remove eggs from the fridge, add into the mixing bowl, add in caster sugar, immediately beat it till pale, thick and fluffy (I use KA mixer with balloon whisk, 3mins at speed 8-9, 10mins at speed 4-5, 2mins at Speed 1-2, total time 15mins ).
- With mixer running at speed 1-2, add in orange rind, add flour spoon by spoon, then add in corn oil + orange juices, do not over mix. Remove mixing bowl, use a spatula to fold the batter till well combined.
- Pour batter in a lined 12 holes muffin pan until 90% full. Lightly tap on countertop twice to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170C for 25mins at middle rack.
I packed few cupcakes for my elder sister. She called me up just to confirm these cupcakes were made by me, because she said it look like store bought ^_^