The best thing is you can make this sponge cake anytime you want as the ingredients used are common, butter, flour, eggs, milk and sugar..
Important tips to get this sponge cake right:-
1. bake it over low temperature first then later increase temperature to medium, and always bake it at the lower rack. So the cake will not shrink at all after it gets cool.
2. Also you need to have stable meringue which requires you to beat till stiff ..Don't worry stiff meringue created dry cake texture, because the batter is using 烫面 "Tang Mein" method (that means cook the egg yolk batter first).
I removed this cake using "bare hands" method. I will try to put up a video on this method soon.
This cake is less sweet, so I could enjoyed with some homemade blueberries jam..
Golden Sponge Cake 黄金海绵蛋糕*makes a 6.3" (internal diameter) x 3" height round cake tin with removable bottom (not a non-stick)
50g butter (salted)50g cake flour
3 egg yolks (A size)
3 egg whites (A size)50g caster sugar
6g corn starch
Method1. Prepare a cake pan, don’t need to line paper.
2. Immediate separate cold eggs from fridge (easy to separate this way) into two mixing bowls. Set aside to return to room temperature.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan, once you see small bubbles, remove from heat.
4. Immediately add in flour, quickly stir to become batter (at this stage, the batter is thick. Also suggest to transfer this batter to another clean mixing bowl), then add in milk, mix well.
5. Add in egg yolk one at a time, stir well on each addition. The batter is slightly runny if compare to normal chiffon batter.
6. Mix sugar and corn starch together. Beat egg whites till foamy, gradually add in sugar and corn starch mixture (in three batches) and continue beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight up with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture)
7. Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
8. Fold in 1/3 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
9. Pour into cake tin, bake at pre-heated oven at 140C (no fan) for 25mins at low rack, then increase to 170C (no fan) for another 25mins.
10. Once baked, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.
Reference : meishilife cookbook, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover