If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, March 21, 2014

Micro butter buns (Wei Bo buns) 微波面包

This is a popular bread recipe especially among Chinese bloggers since last year. It was first published by Siew Hwei .I am not really sure why this bread in Chinese called 微波 (microwave), I guess due to this bread roll into layer and layer, look like wave. Initially, I was not sure how to name this bread in English. After tasted it, then I decided to name this bread as butter buns, because this bread recipe use more butter than normal bread recipe, and it taste a bit buttery. Anyway, this bun is soft and nice even kept for two days, definitely a keeper. ( as updated by reader Lynn, this bun called as Micro buns)



 

 
This Wei Bo bread have to prepare sponge dough first, but don't need to wait for overnight. After first prove, then can be used to add with other ingredients then do 2nd prove.

 
I have altered the original recipe:-
1. Replace milk powder with milk - I can't find milk powder in my pantry anymore since I have no baby drinking milk ^_^.
2. Replace brown sugar with white sugar- because I can't find in my pantry.
3. Reduce instant yeast amount
4. Reduce butter amount
 


 
 
I also cut short the steps by omit the resting time.
Once the 2nd dough was ready (after knead and no rest), I straight away started to roll into small ball then roll up like swiss roll. Once finished, I didn't rest the dough, straight away roll up 2nd time.


 
This was 2nd time roll up. Once done, place this cute little swiss roll dough on a baking tray to prove.

 
I really like to see them after roll up, look so cute ..




Micro butter buns (Wei Bo buns) 微波面包
*makes 24buns

A)
400g High protein flour or bread flour
6g instant yeast (1 and 1/2tsp )
115g eggs ( 2 A size eggs)
120g milk

B)
130g High protein flour or bread flour
80g sugar
1/4tsp fine salt
50g water
60g butter, room temperature 

Egg wash-1 egg + 1tbsp milk 

Method:

  1. Mix all ingredients (A) in a mixing bowl and knead to form a dough.
  2. Cover with cling wrap or cloth, and leave to prove until double size.
  3. Add in ingredients (B) in a mixing bowl, tear dough (A) into small pieces and add into mixing bowl. Knead to form a smooth dough.
  4. Add in butter continue to knead till dough is smooth and elastic.
  5. Divide the dough into 40g each, roll into ball, repeat the rest till finished.
  6. Take a ball (start from the first ball), roll out into long rectangle shape, then roll in tightly like a swiss roll, keep aside to rest, repeat the rest till finished.
  7. Take a swiss roll dough (start from the first swiss roll dough), roll out into long rectangle shape, then roll in tightly like a swiss roll.
  8. Arrange the dough into a baking tray, leave to prove for 50mins.
  9. Brush with egg wash, bake at a pre-heated oven at 170C for 15-20mins or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Siew Hwei with minor changes, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover



38 comments:

Mel said...

Great to know another great bread recipe from you. Love to try this one day.

nandoos kitchen said...

lovely buns. Nicely baked..

Lynn said...

It's called Micro Bun.
The same bakery in Batu Pahat that sold Ogura Cake has been selling this all these while too!

Victoria Bakes said...

what petite and cute looking buns... very soft for sure! tea time Sonia!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Now tea break time, come to grab one for tea break...

Fion said...

Sonia,I love this bun.It's very Q & soft.
Your buns rolled up very nice!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Lynn, Thanks for the info. I have changed the title of this bun.

Lite Home Bake said...

They are beautifully made, Sonia :)

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

那么巧,我也刚忙完微波,迟些时候我们交换吃:)

Esther Lau said...

This is a very nice wei bo buns, I tried before and love it so much, especially the bun shape small and cute! Well done,Sifu!

Veronica said...

Must try making this micro buns soon. Loved the name too. Thanks for sharing Sonia.

Little blue said...

Already made it before, sure nice!!your buns look so tiny and cute...

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

刚刚和helena说起面包,
我家的面粉生虫了,你看,我多懒啊!哈哈哈!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

做了几次面包都没有要去拍照, 有时很懒惰拍!
这微波面包真的很不错

Baby Sumo said...

These rolls definitely look very cute!

I'M JJ said...

我今天也是做微波造型的面包。。。*^_^*

Little Corner of Mine said...

These buns are so cute!

QembarDelites said...

Your rolls are so even in size, looks so soft and fluffy, good for taking to work for lunch:)

Li Shuan said...

我也好喜欢这个面包。好吃

柠檬叶 said...

60g的牛油还好,不算多。。。
看图片还没什么,可是一读你写的文章!
我就百爪挠心地想要做~~~嘻嘻嘻。。。
只能说文采好呀文采好!!!哈哈哈。。。

Gloria Fernandes said...

lovely buns dear..so soft & delish...will try it soon

My Little Space said...

Nice bread, Sonia. Hope you can submit this recipe to my latest event called the 'International Yeasted Recipe'. And is looking forward to more beautiful creation with yeast from your kitchen in the future as well. Share & have fun. Hope to see you there soon.
Btw, I've read the article somewhere in Chinese. This micro bread is actually specially created for microwave user and that's why they called it as micro bread. :o) I'm not sure is it 100% correct but at least there's the reason.
Enjoy & have a lovely weekend & school holiday.
Blessings, Kristy

PH said...

Sonia, these buns are so cute!

Sokehah cheah said...

Your buns look so neat and cute. Like the way you rolled them up.

Rosita Vargas said...

Ohh se ve muy ricoy saludable me encanta,abrazos

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love good soft rolls like this! I need to save this recipe for future. How do you make time to make bread Sonia? I struggle everyday to stay in the kitchen for a long time without being disturbed by the kids. =P Night time I'm here in front of computer... hmmm! These look FANTASTIC!!!

Small Kucing said...

cute buns...will try make. seems so simple

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,
Im a silent reader of youre blog for 2 yrs. now I just want to thank u for sharing all your yummy recipes here!
just would like to ask if I would be using powdered milk how much would it be?
thanks,
Divine

Nippon Nin said...

Fantastic looking rolls! You did perfect job. Love your photos.

Jo said...

Hi Sonia,
This is Joanne from Cake Connection Sdn Bhd, PJ. I have sent an email to your gmail account and would be happy to hear from you soon. Have a great day. Cheers.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hi Sonia, I haven't seen this bread for quite sometime & it's good to see it again from your blog. I also love to see these little rolls after rolling up & when the final proof is completed.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Divine, here is original recipe:-
A)
402g High protein flour or bread flour
8g instant yeast
100g egg
145g milk
32g milk powder
B)
134g High protein flour or bread flour
80g brown sugar
8g fine salt
54g water
60g butter, room temperature

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , I just love the props in your photos ! The butter buns look fantastic amidst those props :D

Tina Jui said...

Wow, I have just discovered your blog and I love it! Looked at many recipes, and have marked them to try in the future. Great to find a blog site with many Asian inspired food and desserts :) Makes me miss Asia - I will need to travel there again soon. Until then, I'll have to try your recipes!

mui mui said...

These are such cute and lovely micro buns, Ah Chi.
Would love to give this a try soon,
mui

Lori said...

How interesting about the name! I love how they bake up. So pretty!

Paola di Cioccolatoamaro said...

che bei panini,complimenti

lena said...

sorry for my late visit. Have missed many of your beautiful posts but always a delight reading what you hv been cooking!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin