First prepared the filling, which use minced pork and tofu..
Then prepare the batter
Top the filling on top of rice cake, then enjoy !!
If you wish to try this recipe, advise to increase half amount of the filling, because we feel that we need more filling when enjoy with this plain rice cake..
Hakka Shui Ban (steamed savoury rice cake) 客家水粄*makes 10 small bowls
For the filling150g minced pork
90g Hakka yellow tofu, small cubed
4 dried scallops, soak in clean water for several hours, or you may replace with dried cuttlefish
2 garlic, chopped
1/2tbsp oyster sauce
1/2tbsp light soy sauce
1/2tbsp dark soy sauce
Salt to taste
Water from soaked the scallops
- Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a pre-heated wok, sauté garlic till aroma.
- Add in minced pork, tofu, scallops and water, stir to mix well, add in all seasonings, stirring constantly over medium heat until cooked.
- Add in chopped coriander, toss until well combined and aromatic, dish out and ready to use.
For the batter250g rice flour
30g corn flour
1tbsp cooking oil
850ml hot boiling water
- Combine rice flour, corn flour, salt, cooking oil and water in a mixing bowl. Add in hot boiling water, keep stirring until well combined, strain well.
- Grease the 10 small bowls, and preheat over hot boiling water for 2mins.
- Pour batter in steaming bowls until ¾ full. Steam over high heat for 15mins or until cooked. Remove from heat, leave to cool.
- Top with filling, and serve.Recipe reference to cookbook Authentic Chinese dumplings with changes