some of the ingredients used
Her method is cook the pumpkin till soft and tendered then only cook the paste.
And she steam the kueh for 2 hours, but i only steam for 1hr..lazy me..
I prefer to pan fry this pumpkin kueh, it tasted even better !! My son Lucas was not keen to eat these pan fried pumpkin kueh, after he has a bite, he almost finished off the whole plate ^_^ He said this is even better than those carrot cake served in dim sum shop.
Ah Mah Pumpkin Kueh (steamed pumpkin cake) 阿嬷金瓜糕350g rice flour15g tapioca flour400ml water
1tsp and 1/4tsp salt1tsp and 1/2tsp sugar4 shallots, sliced120g minced pork2 garlic, chopped3 mushrooms, small cubed30g dried shrimps, soak in water and drainedDark caramel soy sauce ( you may replace with dark soy sauce)300g pumpkin, cubed1/4tsp salt1 and ½ cup waterMethod
- Mix rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, sugar and water in a mixing bowl then stir by a hand balloon whisk till a watery batter. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, sauté shallots till golden brown, scoop out fried shallots and keep aside. With the reminding oil, sauté garlic till aroma, add in minced pork, stir fry till colour changed. Add in mushroom and dried shrimp, stir fry till cook, add in a bit dark caramel soy sauce to have deeper colour. Scoop out some minced pork mixture and keep aside for topping.
- Add in pumpkin, fried shallots and water, seasoning with salt, continue to cook till water evaporated and pumpkin turned soft like paste.
- Pour in the watery batter and cook mixture for 1-2mins over low heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture turns to a thick paste.
- Scoop the thick paste into a greased round tin (8"). Top with minced meat mixture and smoothen and press the surface with a spoon till firm. Place it in the steamer and steam over medium heat for 1hour.
- Serve with chili dipping sauce. You can pan fry with little oil if you have leftover, it taste even better.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover