If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Tiger bread 老虎面包

I have been trying making this tiger bread for few months ago. But I couldn't achieve the nice crack effect, and almost wanted to drop the idea of making this bread. Until recently I found a cookbook that has this recipe, immediately try it out and great to see the nice effect.




In order to get the nice crack effect, you have to apply paste on top of the white bread, the paste is making using rice flour .
 
The paste volume provided in the recipe is way too much, so I have reduced to 1/3 in below recipe.




 
This Tiger bread tasted like baguette, it has crusty on the outside and soft bread inside. You can simply re-heat it at 200C for 3mins to get back the crusty skin. We finished off the two big bread at the same day together with Chicken with 40 cloves garlic.


Tiger bread 老虎面包 

For the white dough bread
500g high protein flour or bread flour (I use unbleached high protein flour)
1 and 1/2tsp fine sea salt
2tsp instant yeast
5tsp olive oil
300ml water 

For the paste
60g rice flour
20g plain flour
1/2tsp fine sea salt
10g sugar
70ml water
1tsp instant yeast 

Method

  1. For the white dough bread, mix all ingredients together, knead till smooth and elastic dough (I use KA mixer,take about 20mins). Set aside to rise to double (30mins).
  2. While the dough is proving, about 20mins, start prepare the paste, mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix till a paste.
  3. Divide bread dough into two, shape into ball, place it seam-side down on the lined tray. Paint the whole of each loaf thinly with the paste and leave to prove for 30mins.
  4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 230C for 5mins, reduce to 200C continue to bake for 20mins or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, brush unsalted butter on the surface of the bread as to glaze it.
Recipe adapted from cookbook  “Bread revolution” with changes, by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover

18 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

very nice cracks there Sonia... mine was a disaster!

PH said...

Can also call leopard bread, hor?

rachel said...

好特别的老虎面包!味道不知如何呢?

CreaMoon said...

What is protein flour? Can I just use unbleach all purpose flour? Thx

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

CreaMoon, high protein flour is bread flour, you can use all purpose flour but you will have difference texture of bread which not chewer as using bread flour.

mis chucherias said...

this bread is perfect and beautiful, love it

...Healing Journal said...

Hi, Happy holidays! May I know which book has the recipe? Thank you.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, thanks for trying out recipes and sharing them with us. Your tips help much. Great idea that I can use with my bread making. Like it.

Digital Kitchen Scale said...

I start liking this bread, my favorite.

see also: http://goo.gl/NQRBsQ.

irene myme said...

谢谢你的好分享,我想做这款面包很久了,就是不懂如何调制面糊。^o^

CHEAPTAP.CO.UK -- Enjoy the water, enjoy your life! said...


"Taps UK" in Engliand refers to pick out from the Bathtub Taps water drinkable and free restaurants and bars in the UK. From the mid-century, the British have worked on Pull Out Kitchen Taps aspects of safe drinking water

chow and chatter said...

very cool I remember having this as a child

Ana Regalado said...

Love the look of this bread , Sonia ! I thought this is a sweet dough bread :D

Raj Groups said...

nice blog

Unknown said...

which type of rice flour do you use? do you have d brand or picture for the packaging?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Jonathan , any brand will do, the usual brand is with elephant logo.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing recipe. I tried this bread today and my family love it! I used coconut oil instead of olives oil as I do not have them. Also I skipped the step of usinf butter as glazing since I do have butter too. Overall the bread tastes as great! Will try your other recipe in future :-) Happy 2016!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing recipe. I tried this bread today and my family love it! I used coconut oil instead of olives oil as I do not have them. Also I skipped the step of usinf butter as glazing since I do have butter too. Overall the bread tastes as great! Will try your other recipe in future :-) Happy 2016!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin