Never think these combination of mochi, red bean paste and fresh strawberry, can be taste so heavenly!!
Nice to serve this as dessert during CNY re-union dinner. I am sure it will impress your family too.
Daifuku 草莓大福 (Strawberry with red bean paste and mochi)
100g glutinous rice flour40g caster sugar160g water
200g red bean paste, store-bought or homemade (refer recipe here)6 strawberries, rinse, dry and remove the hullpotato starch for dusting
- Add glutinous rice flour and sugar in a mixing bowl, slowly pour in water then stir to mix well.
- Pour batter in a glass bowl, steam over boiling water over high heat for 15mins.
- While steaming the mochi, wrap the strawberries with red bean paste. Set aside.
- Prepare a big tray, sift potato starch on the tray, transfer warm mochi from steaming bowl to the tray. Dust more potato starch on top, then use a silicone scraper, equally divide into 6 portions.
- Apply some potato starch on your hands and flatten and expand each mochi into round shape. Put more potato starch on your hand if you feel mochi is sticky to be handled. Once ready, wipe off excess potato starch.
- Place red bean paste covered strawberry on top of it, with the tip facing down. Covering the strawberry with mochi from all sides, twist and seal, to form into nice round shape. Repeat the rest.
- Store in a container and keep inside the fridge before enjoy within 2 days.Recipe source: adapted from Just One Cookbook with minor changes, by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover