If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Nyonya Pineapple Tarts 娘惹黄梨挞~喜气羊羊 2015

This batch of pineapple tarts just for warm up before CNY ^_^. This time I wanted to tried this type of Nyonya pineapple tarts (open tart) which my friend Jane made it long time ago. This Nyonya type is different from my melt in mouth pineapple tart which the tart case tasted slightly crunchy. And this recipe is using margarine instead of butter.



Let's see how to make this tart




 
I use this plastic cutter. There are two sizes selling in the market. I got the bigger size.

 
The usual way is roll the dough into thin sheet then use cutter to cut out the tart shape. But I didn't follow this way. I weighted each of the dough and one by one imprint with the mould or cutter.



 
I use home cooked pineapple filling which i didn't cook till very dry and added less sugar. So the pineapple jam will not turned too dry after baked.


 
To make this tinny stripes was quite tedious, you may omit this step. As for me, the tart look like pineapple shape with this additional decoration ^_^

 



 

 
Nyonya Pineapple Tarts 娘惹黄梨挞
*makes 28pcs 

125g margarine (I use Planta brand)
1 egg ( large or A size, ~54g net weight)
225g plain flour


1tbsp ice cold water
1/8tsp fine salt 

Pineapple filling (use 2 pineapples), homemade (refer recipe here) or store-bought
Egg wash, 1 egg yolk + 1tbsp milk 

Method

1.      Mix margarine, salt and flour in a mixing bowl, use hand to rub the flour and margarine till sandy texture.

2.      Add in egg and ice cold water, lightly combine well ( do not overwork). Cover with cling film, chill dough in the fridge for 30mins.

3.      Remove dough from fridge and weight 13g each. Use a tart cutter, place the small dough on the cutter and press lightly to seal, then press out the dough from the cutter. Or you may roll the dough into thin sheet, then use cutter to cut out the shape. Place tart onto baking tray lined with baking sheet. Repeat the rest till finished. Keep a small portion of dough for decoration later.

4.      As for pineapple filling, weight 10g each, roll into ball, lightly press the pineapple filling onto the indentations of the tarts. Repeat the rest till finished.

5.      Pinch a small dough, then use your finger to roll into tiny stripes then decorate the top. Egg wash the tarts (I only apply on tart surface).

6.      Bake at a pre-heated oven at 170C for 20mins or adjust according to your type of oven as every oven is difference. 

Pastry recipe adapted from Jane’scorner, by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover


  I'm joining Best Recipes for Everyone Jan & Feb 2015 Event Theme: My Homemade Cookies by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and co-host by Victoria Baking Into The Ether 。

And

32 comments:

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Emm...yummy!
Can I have some pls?

Min said...

I baked something like this too, had a hard time making the tiny stripes, haha, spent so much time on that. Yours look great, yummy yummy!

mis chucherias said...

So beautiful! and delicious ;-)

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Sonia,
I have not tried baking pineapple tarts. These pineapple tarts of yours looked great and tempting. Thanks for sharing.

Small Kucing said...

I love these . Gotta make already but have not start "engine" yet

Victoria Bakes said...

so wonderful!! i love how built up your tart is.. the bounty filling is too good!!

thanks for linking up with Best Recipes

Copycake kitchen said...

Pretty! I love traditional pineapple tarts like these. Thanks for sharing Sonia ;)

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

这个好吃,我喜欢,很传统的一道年饼。

Sem said...

Very nice. My son also request for this type of pineapple tarts.
Is the Planta margarine spreadable type in plastic box or metal tins?

Cameron said...

Its look beautiful and delicious will try to make it for this CNY
thanks for sharing recipe Sonia..

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia,can I use butter instead of margarine?

Fion said...

这黄梨饼好美,我太爱黄梨饼了。。哈哈
谢谢支持最棒食谱,可是还等着您的链接哦 :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sem, I bought with plastic container.

Amanda, if you replace with butter, then it become difference recipe but not Nyonya type which should tasted slightly crunchy. Yes you can replace butter but you might need some adjustment on the other ingredients.

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Hi my big sister! How are things going? I guess I'm back at the perfect time.. CNY is coming and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful recipes!

婉婉午茶 said...

这金黄色的黄梨饼好漂亮!

Sokehah cheah said...

So yummy! They do look good!

PH said...

Very nice! This one sure must have for CNY!

CL said...

hi, thanks for sharing this recipe..

BTW, where did you buy the tart mould? I can't find it in Jusco .. Thanks.

Caely said...

Sonia, thanks a million for the recipe. I was googling for recipe since last week and today notice your blog about it. I looooove this nyonya pineapple tart than the other one.

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

I love Nyonya Pineapple Tart. Thanks for the recipe. Yours look delicious.

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

I can see that each piece is painstakingly shaped and moulded, a true labour of love. Really admire the guests who get to taste such pretty homemade pineapple tarts. Thanks for sharing, would keep this recipe bookmarked for sure :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Chew Lee, you can get it at those bakery ingredients supply shop or try it at Mr DIY.

Anonymous said...

My tarts look pale even after egg wash. I baked for 25mins. How to have a lovely golden glow like yours? Is the tart suppose to taste like biscuit? I'm not sure how crispy it should be . I checked the bottom while still in oven and the bottom was browning. Appreciate your advice. Cheers, Feebee

Caroline Poh said...

Thank you, Sonia for sharing this lovely recipe. I made it for Chinese New Year this year and loved it so much. I also shared the recipe to my sister. Your blog has been a great inspiration to me. I recently started my own food blog. It is www.delishspecials.wordpress.com. You are welcomed to visit my blog. :)

piggy said...

For how long we can keep the tarts?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Feebee, sorry I have missed out your question . Every oven is difference , maybe you should the rack one level up or increase the oven temp. It not taste crunchy like biscuit , a bit crunchy only.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Piggy, should be able to keep 2-3 weeks when using homecooked pineapple filling.must let it completely cool down before storing .

Unknown said...

Hi! Was wondering since Chinese New Year is coming if I can order this type of pineapple tart? (The hard crusted/crispy(?)) pineapple kind not the melt in the mouth kind! My dad has been trying to find this type for years and years but everyone don't seem to sell it :/ do pm me the price and etc

Unknown said...

Hi, may I know if I can replace the flour with cake flour? How will this affect the end result of the tarts? Thanks! Love your recipes!!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hi Alyssa , yes you can

Yan said...

May I know how many grams of jam one recipe uses?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Tan Kok Yan, around 300g

Blog Widget by LinkWithin