If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dhal curry

My kids and I like to eat Dhal curry when we taking Roti Canai in the outside Indian restaurant. This time, I decided to cook Dhal curry at home. And it's a perfect vegetarian dish since you can add any vegetables you want.


IMG_4901


-Before add Turmeric powder

IMG_4867


-After added Turmeric powder


IMG_4869


Dhal Curry

Dhal 250g (washed two times, then soaked in water for 2hours )
Green chili 1, sliced
Shallot 3, sliced
Garlic 3, sliced
Tomato 1, cubed
Potato 1, cubed
Carrot 1, cubed
Curry leaves 1 sprig

Water 1.5lt

1tsp Turmeric powder  (updated on 10 Sept 2015-reduce to 1tsp from 1tbsp)
1tsp Mixed Indian herbs (mustard seeds, cumin seeds &etc) ,  easily found in Indian grocery shop
Salt and sugar to taste

1. Heat oil in a wok, add in shallot, mixed Indian herbs and garlic, stir fry till fragrant
2. Add in green chili and curry leaves, stir fry for a while
3. Add the rest of tomato, potato and carrot, mix well.
4. Then add in dhal and water. And follow by turmeric powder.
5. Simmer for 1- 1.5 hours over low heat or until dhal turned soft and almost melt.


-My hubby enjoyed his big plate of rice with Dhal curry at his favourite patio area. I also prepared Indian fried chicken and fried bittergourd for this meal, will share the recipe in next post, stay tunned.


IMG_4945
Happy Cooking !!

26 comments:

Bakeling said...

These seem my favourite dishes ,especially the dhall curry .

I also like the last plate of dish !

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Bakeling, dhall curry is good, you should try out.

My Little Things Corner said...

I also like roti canai with dhal curry! ok, next time i can try cook at home.
Thanks Sonia.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Your hubby is so lucky! You feed him (and your kids) very well with lots of yummy food!!!

Jane Chew said...

oh dear! this is my kids favourite. Everytimes we went back must eat this with roti canai. Must learn fr u liao.

Big Boys Oven said...

hehehe I love dhall curry but sometimes I hate the after effect . . . . air pumping! lol! :)

Rachana said...

Daal Curry looks fantastic...

ICook4Fun said...

Sonia, can I come to your house for lunch? I miss dhal curry and ayam goreng mamak :)

MnYfoodtalk said...

Wau, it looks like nasi kandar..looks delicious!

Jo said...

I like dhal with roti canai as well and will usually ask them to add sambal to it. I can't believe you are making your own .. it looks delicious.

Zurin said...

mmmmm youare such a good cook Sonia....i cld gv u some of my roti jala!!

Vrinda said...

My fav too...liked the fried chicken on top...yummmmy and perfect comfort food

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yum, looks delicious!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Oh belly belly good ! I like curry a lot and this is one of my favourite.

Pei-Lin said...

Say! I love dhal, too! I've gotta have it with my roti kosong! ;)

Sunitha said...

Awesome.. all of that looks fantastic.

pigpigscorner said...

Love dhal with roti!

Namitha said...

Fabulous...Great job, Sonia !

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sze Sze, quickly cook it ya.

JU, you too.

Jane, so easy to cook, quickly cook this at home.

BBO, why I dont feel this effect, hahaha..

Rachana, Thanks.

Tina, Thanks.

Icook4fun, sure, no problem.

Mnyfoodtalk, thanks for dropping by.

Jo, try to cook at home.

Zurin, ya huh, good to have with roti jala.

Vrinda, will share the fried chicken recipe soon.

LCOM, Thanks.

A full-time housefly,so quickly cook this at home.

Pei Lin, ya,best with roti kosong.

Nostalgia, Thanks.

pigpigcorner, ya, they are good.

Gulmohar, Thanks.

Pete said...

I love dalca curry that is thick.....The last time I added chicken to it, maybe try vegetarian one next round! Looking forward to your fried bitter gourd recipe!

Colin Woon said...

Though I don't like spicy food, I like Dhal curry, maybe because it's not too spicy! I love roti canai with Dhal curry!

I should buy some frozen roti canai and ask my wife to make me some good Dhal curry using your recipe! Hehehe...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Pete, ok, the fried bittergourd is so easy to cook, will share recipe soon.

Colin, wor, so late still not yet sleep,hehehe..good idea, quickly ask your wife to prepare for you, you will enjoy this.

tigerfish said...

I love this Indian curry. I need some naan bread now to go with this curry.

Anonymous said...

I always cook this. Normally, I will wash the dhall and then simply boil it first with water to the consistency or texture which I like -almost mashy cos then it's creamier! Add in the potatoes till half cook. Only then, I will sauté the aromatics and add in the veggies and dump that into the dhall pot. Some dhall takes a loooong time to cook - all your potatoes and veggies may "dissolve!"

Patrick said...

oh dear! this is my kids favourite. Everytimes we went back must eat this with roti canai. Must learn fr u liao.

Manxome said...

You left out an important detail in this recipe: the amount of "Indian spices" (cumin & mustard seeds) needed.

So how much do we add?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin