If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, December 17, 2010

Chinese style of Nasi Lemak, with Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)


Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)

Why i give this nasi lemak with the name of Chinese style of nasi lemak? This is because this type of nasi lemak is selling by Chinese hawkers, i use to buy this nasi lemak for breakfast. They add Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal) instead the normal chili sambal.
















When I see Noob Cook prepared her Hae Bee Hiam, and it remind me to try to cook this Chinese style of Nasi Lemak at home.
Usually the Chinese hawker packed this nasi lemak using the old newspaper and a piece of plastic sheet...

Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)


They also add a type of soft shell shrimps (we call it as white shrimps (Pai Hae), you can eat the whole shrimp together with the shell. Just stir fry with little chili paste and season with salt.

Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)


Use small dried shrimps 虾米 for this fragrant and nice Hae Bee Shung (spicy dried shrimps sambal)

Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)


Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)


Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)


Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)
(originated by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

100g dried shrimps虾米, soak for 5mins
2-3tbsp Home-made chili paste
2 garlic, chopped finely
3 shallots, chopped finely
1tsp sugar or to taste
1tsp light soy sauce or to taste
5tbsp cooking oil

Method
1. Use a mortar and pestle to pound the dried shrimps till finely.
2. Heat oil in a clean wok, sauté chopped garlic and shallots till fragrant.
3. Add in home-made chili paste, mix well. (If you are not using home-made chili paste which have cooked for long hour, then you need to sauté chili paste for longer time ,maybe 15mins or more)
4. Add in dried shrimp paste, season to taste with sugar and soy sauce (I do not add salt because the dried shrimps already salty).
5.Keep frying the shrimp paste until dry and fragrant . It takes about 10-15 mins.



My note- Try to use a mortar and pestle to pound the dried shrimps, this will give a better fluffy texture.

Serve Hae Bee Shung with coconut rice, hard-boiled eggs, deep fried ikan bilis (anchovies) and also replaced normal cucumber with long bean, just stir fry it with chili paste and season with salt.

Hae Bee Shung (Spicy dried shrimps sambal)


Happy Cooking !!

41 comments:

Love2cook Malaysia said...

I'm I'm in..please count me in for this lovely platter!!! So hungry right now lor! :D

Bo said...

I have yet to try nasi lemak. It is on my list of dishes I want to try. Yours looks great.

温馨小屋 said...

hmmmm...
就煮这个给colin他们吃啦!每次看你煮nasi lemak都这么好料...一定要尝尝看.....

lena said...

sonia, i have not had this for such a long time and looking at the dried shrimps sambal now, i'm just craving for it.

DG said...

Special prawn nasi lemak! Ho chiak!

cikmanggis said...

oh dear Sonia!!anda buat saya lapar:)p....pasti nak cuba nasi lemak versi Sonia ni hehe.Sambal udang kering tu sunngguh membuka selera.Semua bahan-bahan tu ada dalam peti ais kecuali udang.Thanks for sharing.

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Delizioso blog e ricetta, ciao

ann low said...

Sonia, you're really a nasi lemak lover. This looks very delicious, I want to bookmark it.
Please come to my blog and join a little Christmas giveaway.
Happy weekend

Simplyfood said...

A very tasty dish nad looks lovely too.Beautiful click.

Min said...

Yummy! I haven't tried this type of nasi lemak before, I want to learn to cook this :)

hana said...

hi sonia... menarik la nasi lemak nih... satu ari nanti saya akan cuba... thanx for sharing...

ICook4Fun said...

I can smell the hae bee hiam all the way from here. I don't think I ever try this type of nasi lemak before.

Jane Chew said...

wow! First time heard abt this. But familiar with the hae bee shung as my aunt always make for me to bring back Aust. She is very good in preparing this and all my friends especially my sis in law in Aust enjoy it so much :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Salivating.... Looks so delicious, I want to take the whole packet from my screen!

divya said...

looks awesome...

Bakeling said...

The ham bee shung sure can enhance the taste of this nasi lemak !

Pete said...

Wah, to hae bea.....very special nasi lemak!

Namitha said...

Oh my ! What a meal..So tempting

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Any type of Nasi Lemak is good. I had been away for so long that I was really delighted when Singapore Airlines served Nasi Lemak for breakfast on my way back. They served with sambal prawns and omelette :)

Angie's Recipes said...

I am with Shirley. Any kind of Nasi Lemak tastes wonderful!

Anonymous said...

nice nasi lemak, i like both this version of nasi lemak or those sold by malays^^

Janice Hcc said...

wow, really delicious ^^

Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness! That looks so good! Dried shrimps sambal is one of my favourite dish! I could eat it with bread alone and be very satisfied!

Unknown said...

i love it...and always go to 'andalas nasi lemak' to have my breakfast....very very popular nasi lemak corner

chow and chatter said...

wow hungry now reading this

Cheah said...

Bet your nasi lemak tastes much better than those sold by the hawkers. Can't help salivating looking at the dried shrimps sambal.

Peggy said...

This dish makes me really hungry! This definitely is my kind of meal!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really sounds delicious and your photos are just wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary.

Cooking Gallery said...

I love nasi lemak, and I used to eat it often with fried chicken and sambal...Just delicious ;)!

Quay Po Cooks said...

This makes me so hungry! Tomorrow first thing in the morning I must go get a packet of nasi lemak! I will eat it and imagine there is your delicious spicy dried shrimps sambal in it till I make this after Christmas! You take great pictures as always.

Anonymous said...

Very nice nasi lemak!

Miss Lucky Piggy said...

i'm drolling looking at those pics... love nasi lemak & its "friends" :D great posting. cheers :)

HK Choo said...

Bookmarking this, thanks for the recipe, Sonia!

Elin Chia said...

I have never tried this kind of nasi lemal :p have bookmarked it !

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Drooling liao...

The Sudden Cook said...

WOW! Thanks for the awesome idea. I've made spicy dried prawns sambal before but only used it to make sandwiches and puffs.

tigerfish said...

Don't forget my share! I want it as long as it is a good Nasi Lemak!

Bakericious said...

this is delicious, Sonia you are making me so hungry now.

Hasna said...

wow...so mch of yummy collections!! luvd this place...

http://hasnasdelights.blogspot.com/

A. Rizzi said...

that looks INCREDIBLE!!! Just made nasi lemak for the first time last nite but now i wanna get in on this variation. wowwwwwww

J.C. said...

I love nasi lemak bungkus daun pisang for breakfast. Nasi lemak is also the food that I craved for whenever I am away from Malaysia. So, I am glad to find another variety of Nasi Lemak from your posting here!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin