If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, May 7, 2010

Homemade Asian basic chili paste (sambal tumis), red and hot post !!

You know I'm a Nasi Lemak Lover, I cannot live without spicy foods, especially Nasi Lemak, chicken curry, fried chicken & etc. So I use a lot of sambal (chilli paste), usually I prepare my own chilli paste and keep a big batch of chilli paste as is much easier than grind for small batch.
IMG_8852 2
My style of chili paste is very basic, dried red chili, onion, garlic and shallot.

IMG_7763


IMG_7782 1
Normally I have frozen my batch of chilli paste in small container (2tbsp each container) and just snap pieces off when required. It defrost very quickly too.


The important point of getting a good sambal is to tumis (keep stirring) the raw chili paste with oil for very long hour as to get rid of the raw chili smell and get better chili fragrant. One of my Malay friend took 2hours to prepare her sambal, can you imagine!!

IMG_8829
Homemade Asian basic chili paste (sambal tumis)
(printable recipe)

Ingredients A
300g dried red chili (cut 1” length and cooked in hot water for 10mins, remove seeds)
175ml water

Ingredients B
2 onions
10 shallots
10 cloves of garlic
50ml water

300ml cooking oil or more

1. Blend ingredients A till fine or paste texture, and set aside.
2. Blend ingredients B till fine or paste texture, and set aside.
3. Heat wok (without oil) over low flame, add in chili mixture, stir fry for 15mins.
4. Add in cooking oil, continue stir fry for another 15mins (at this time, the mixture is quite heavy and hard to stir)
5. Add in onion mixture, continue stir fry for 45mins or till oil separated from chili (at this time, the mixture is light and easy to stir)
6. Cool down completely before store in clean air tight container.Store in fridge or freezer.

My note:

I did not add any seasoning (salt,sugar & etc), belacan (shrimps paste), herbs or etc. So this basic chili paste can be used to cook chicken curry, fried Mamak noodles, fried chicken, fried fish, sweet sambal, sambal ikan bilis (anchovies) for nasi lemak and etc. You can adjust the amount of seasoning, add more shallots, onion or garlic, or to add shrimps paste or herbs, so it is very versatile, adjust according to your recipe. So this is very similar to the chili Boh that we use to buy from market here.
The best thing is I can reduce the cooking time, don't need to stir fry the chili paste while cooking, just add in and mix with other ingredients, easy and fast!!
IMG_8833 1
Happy Cooking !!

54 comments:

PranisKitchen said...

sambal ..homemade one looks so nice..
We love spicy food.sure try to prepare this chillipaste..
nice color ..loved it

Angie's Recipes said...

This is an exciting and hot post! Thanks for sharing such a valuable recipe!

cikmanggis said...

hi sonia..happy mother"s day to you dear:)..wah rajinnya..bila cili paste betul-betul masak pasti tidak akan sakit perut ..trust me:)

divya said...

Wow..homemade chilli paste looks so good.thanks for sharing such a valuble recipe.
Happy Monther's day to u dear.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I have bags of spice mixes I make up in advance. Now I will have a chili paste in my freezer...

excellent post

tinyskillet said...

Angie, haha! you're funny...a "hot" post!

Sonia, thanks for this recipe and such great tips. I have several of my special additions in the freezer, like tamarind pulp, grated lemongrass, dukkah spice mix etc.... Now I'm going to make and freeze sambal tumis!

ann low said...

Thanks for sharing this chilli paste recipe. Will buy the ingredients tomorrow.

the lacquer spoon said...

Woow, love hot and spicy food. Your chili paste is so gorgeous. The psychedelic colur rocks my appetite!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

So Shiokkkk ! I love sambal tumis and I have a small bottle left in the fridge made by my mum

Pete said...

Good idea to make a lot and keep them frozen. No need to go through the hassle again when want to prepare a quick meal!

WendyinKK said...

If for daily chilli eaters, this is a must at home.

kitchen queen said...

hot and yummy chilli paste.

Mary Bergfeld said...

It's so nice to have a recipe for this that I can make for myself. It is most appreciated. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Pei-Lin said...

He! One of my fave condiments! Love it on just about any dishes ... of course, it's gotta be used wisely ... If you get what I mean. Hahaha!

A HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to you! Remember to take a day off on the Big Day, yea?

MaryMoh said...

Wow...I need that for my cooking! It's perfect to add that hot kick to food...mmm. Thanks for sharing.

Bo said...

Never made this or cooked with it...but I think I might just try it out.

pigpigscorner said...

I am a chili lover too! I add chili to everything!

YHL said...

Sonia, I always have a big bottle stand by in my fridge coz i like chilies. but i didn't add garlic other remain :)

Rachana said...

Wow!!!! Its a must for all the chilli lovers:) Have a nice weekend dear ):

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, I stumbled upon your site by accident. I am a Malaysian but live in Australia. Thanks for your generous sharing of your recipes and experiences. Love them. Keep up the good work.

月亮 said...

昨晚就看到了。害我超级想吃nasi lemak
整晚都是nasi lemak在那边飞来飞去

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Hi Sonia!!! Sambal look hot ya...;)

Like U, I'm a SpicyLover too...my dishes has to be spicy, otherwise susah mau turun, except for some veges.

I do blend and keep chilled & separated Chilli paste, Garlic & Ginger paste and Shallots paste. Too lazy wanna tumis them first. Hahaha! ;)

Anonymous said...

Haha.. I can feel the spiciness of this sambal tunis by just looking at it~

3 hungry tummies said...

I must try your version, it looks good! Happy mother's day!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

This looks so great... Happy Mother's Day...

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Good hot stuff! Send some over my way...

Jane Chew said...

my mum always prepare for me so i no need to do this. haha... Further more here very difficult to have shallots. So, mum will prepared n pack it nicely for me :) 幸福吗?

Jeannie said...

Guess most of us love sambal...sure does add a hot kick to any dish! I shall try cooking it for 1 hour next time to see the difference as compared to those with less cooking time. Thanks for the tip.

Shandy said...

Love your post! Great advice too, thank you. Happy Mother's Day!

Simplyfood said...

Such a vibrant colour chilli paste.I am sure its going to be very fiery.

Bakericious said...

i love chilli, can share some with me :P

Anonymous said...

I love all things chilli. This sambal tumis recipe is so good! Thanks for sharing.

Olive said...

I love spicy food! I'll definitely make this, one question: can fresh chillies be used instead of dried?

Swee San said...

Oh I love spicy food too !! especially those with sambal.. Happy Mother's Day Sonia :)

That's Ron said...

great recipe! must try it one day

mamamya said...

yes i agree..to cook the best sambal the longer the better, u just have to be very very patience hehe...

being malay myself i couldn't live without sambal, its a must have in my daily menu =)

Simon Seow said...

Nothing like a good homemade sambal. Damn, I misses my mum's sambal.

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

wow..hot n spicy..i love spice...nice clicks..

first time here...u have a lovely space...just started blogging..and love to add u in my list..
ur comments/suggestions r highly appreciated..happy blogging...following u>>>>>>



sanyuktagour(bayes)
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

My Little Things Corner said...

Looks really spicy, i can't take too spicy, my stomach can't accept it. Maybe i cook with less chili one...hehehe

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

This is going to be so good with Nasi Lemak, Mee Rebus, Mee Goreng... everything...!!

tigerfish said...

So very red! Bet it's hot....I saw so many dried chili :O

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for stopping by, look like a lot of you also love chili huh, same like me..

Cikmanggis, thanks for informing me, no wonder I never sakit perut when makan nasi Lemak, hahaha..

suhana, ya, this what my Malay frined told me, to tumis secukup lama...

Ellie, now I know you also a chili lover...

Olive, I never try with fresh chili before, I think you can, but dried one would be better.

To new comer, welcome to my blog, will hop over to your blog soon.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Jane, "Shy Mang" huh, very 幸福, hehehe..no shallots, a lot of dishes can not cook lo..

said...

wow...there are so many spicy lover here....
let me join in this spicy lover group..haha....
then i want to say:i will follow you!!

Bakeling said...

Ooh la la ,this is my favourite !

Colin Woon said...

I see, I sweat! I bet my wife will love this...

znette said...

Hi hi
Thanks for sharing your goodies, experiences & time. I m newbie n enjoy reading your blog n found many good old days food.. :))

Ah Pui said...

Hi Sonia, I love ur blog. Very interesting.
May I know what brand of food processor u r using as it really done a good job....it can even grind the chilli seed.

Burnau said...

Jane, "Shy Mang" huh, very 幸福, hehehe..no shallots, a lot of dishes can not cook lo..

Bonnie said...

Do you think I can use sambal tumis to make a curry beef?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Bonnie, yes, you can use this as basic chili paste for curry beef, but you still need to add curry powder and curry leaves and etc..

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, follow steps but quantity reduce to 1/3 and chillies end result not in paste form like yours, it is dry. Where possible go wrong
? Thk.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your cooking and baking.
Im so excited found your blog with all Malaysia cooking/kuih muih.
Thank you again

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm wondering if you could share a recipe for KL Hokkien Mee Sambal. I've been craving for that particular sambal ever since moving to Sydney. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin