If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, May 24, 2010

Deep fried sweet and sour fish

I don't know much about fish, usually my mom help me to buy fresh fish from my kampung (my hometown is a small fishing village), she help to clean and cut and freeze it for me. The other day when I went back to hometown, my mom told me she managed to buy for me a very fresh and big fish, about 5kg in weight, the fish name in Mandarin is 马友鱼, sorry I don't know the English name, this is the fish image (Latest update-Thanks Pete informed me the English name of this fish, it is called as Threadfin or Kurau in Malay).
Since the fish is too big for my family at one go, I separated into four parts, I use the 1st part (fish body) to cook this yummy sweet and sour fish. Later I will share with you how I cook for the rest of the fish parts.

IMG_9634


-Deep fried fish meat, vegetables and sauce. Just eating the deep fried fish meat, also really good, sweet and juicy.


IMG_9616


Deep fried sweet and sour fish
(printable recipe)

800 fish meat, cut into cubes
1tbsp light soy sauce
1/2tsp salt
1tsp sesame oil
A dash of white pepper powder

1 green capsicum, cut into wedges
1 yellow capsicum, cut into wedges
1 onion, cut into wedges
1 fresh tomato, cut into wedges
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 slices of young ginger

Sauce (combine in a bowl)
5tbsp tomato ketchup
3tbsp vinegar
2tbsp sugar
1tbsp chilli sauce
1tbsp oyster sauce
½ tsp salt or to taste
¼ cup water (or adjust accordingly)

•1/2 tsp corn flour/tapioca flour, mixed with 1 tbsp water for thickening

1. Season fish meat with soy sauce, salt, sesame oil and set aside for 10mins.
2. Coat fish with corn starch/tapioca flour. Deep-fry in hot oil till cooked and crispy. Remove and place on a serving plate.
3. Heat up oil, saute garlic and gingers until fragrant.
4. Add yellow and green capsicums and tomato. Stir-fry briskly. Pour in sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
5. Add thickening, then add in fried fish and mix well.
6. Dish out and serve hot.

** I can't get good and clear photo especially when I take picture for the dishes that I cooked for dinner, due to the low light condition in the kitchen during evening time. So no choice, I need to use very high ISO (ISO 800) and use the Canon software to do some adjustment, please accept this poor pictures..

IMG_9623

Happy Cooking !!

35 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Good with a big bowl of steam rice! Yummy!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Lunch time coming, this dish making me hungry...

Angie's Recipes said...

wow Sonia, you can cook! Really CAN! The sweet and sour fish looks terrific! Perfect colour!

3 hungry tummies said...

We had some sweet and sour fish in a restaurant the other day. Yours will beat it anytime!
5kg! That is a very big fish indeed!

Jane Chew said...

u are a good in cooking. I will definitely have a 2nd bowl of rice if u cook for me :)
The photo looks great lei.

Pete said...

It is Ikan Kurau, English name Threadfin....nice fish.

GayathriRaj said...

Hey wow like fish a lot and your version is too good....its very colorful and pictures was fabulous...
Just going thru ur entire blog and it was fantastic and love to add you in my list and im staring following u too....

Love2cook Malaysia said...

I'm drooling over Sonia!!! I love deep-fried fishes made this way! Simply tempting! ;)

the lacquer spoon said...

That sounds healthier than the meat version. Hmm... yum!!

Jeannie said...

I seldom cook fish, reason being too much hassle and the boys only like fried fish and I don't like to fry fish! This looks so good!

My Little Things Corner said...

Wow, so yummy, i like fish a lot. But i same with you, don't know fish very much, sometime buy not fresh one :-(

Suhaina said...

Thanks for the comment on the cake.Next time I will keep ur advise in mind when making cakes. Thanks.
Ur sweet and sour fish looks sooooooooo yummy. I too prepare chilly fish in a similar manner. Ur pictures is making me droooooolll. i want some please.

choi yen said...

very appetizing indeed!!!

cikmanggis said...

ikan kurau ni very expensive dan sangat sedap.Boleh cuba resepi ni:)

pigpigscorner said...

So good with rice! My grandma usually pan fry this fish witha little soy sauce and garlic!

Malar Gandhi said...

Fish preparation looks terrific, love this kind of tangy sweet taste..beautiful presentation.

divya said...

wow like fish a lot and your version is too good....its very colorful and pictures was fabulous...

Jeannie said...

Great! I was just been given some fish too..I can try this recipe:D Looks delicious!

Jo said...

I love anything that has a sweet and sour sauce to it. Guess fish is even more healthier than meat! Looks delicious .. hmm more than delicious. Ooops think that's my tummy making noise!

ann low said...

Mmm...this really makes me drooling. Can eat extra rice with this dish.

MaryMoh said...

Whah...5kg fish!! That's BIG! Love your sweet and sour fish.....beautiful bright colours. Can't wait to see what you cook with the rest of the fish.

Food For Tots said...

I love anything with sweet and sour sauce. Looks really yummy and appetizing! The photo looks great to me too!

Bakeling said...

Even when I see this during mid-night , hungry !
This is also my favourite , 很久没有吃马友鱼了 .

My Asian Kitchen said...

your fish is calling my name!! love any type of fish!! if I miss mom homecooking your blog is the first I want to visit!! yummy!!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a great savory fish recipe.

Shandy said...

I can not believe how Good this dish looks! Gorgeous and delicious! You are so talented with cooking and taking photos =0)

Sarah Naveen said...

Awesome..i wanna have some now...

Namitha said...

Awesome clicks esp the last one :-) am drooling now

Mary Bergfeld said...

You have outdone yourself. This looks fabulous and I'm sure anything this pretty must be good. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all,Thanks for your lovely words, do try out this simple dish.

tigerfish said...

One fish - many ways! I like sweet and sour fish but the thought of deep-frying the fish just puts off the whole idea for me. :(

Bo said...

I love sweet and sour dishes...this looks great! I actually think your photos look good.

PranisKitchen said...

wow what a delicious one..sweet and sour chicken we love to have now got the fish recipe..thanks a ton for sharing this

Pei-Lin said...

Oh, yes! Sweet & sour fish is definitely a good way to enjoy the fresh catch!

li said...

This dish look delicious. Lucky you're able to get good quality seafood from your mom. Living in Kl I have to buy fish online from loseafood to get some good quality seafood. I've tried some of your recipes and they taste very good. Thank you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin