If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, May 3, 2010

Teochew vegetables dumplings / (kuih)

Teochew veggie dumpling is another type of dim sum that I like to order when we take dim sum , especially like the smoky peanuts and crunchy sweet taste of yam bean.
Learnt how to make the dough from a Hong Kong cooking show recently..
IMG_9026 1



Dough making..

cooked filling

Teochew vegetables dumplings
*makes about 35 dumplings
(printable recipe)
Filling
300g yam bean (sengkuang), coarsely shredded
80g carrot, shredded
30g dried shrimps, soaked for 15mins
50g peanut, roasted
30g Chinese parsley, coarsely chopped
2tsbp of cooking oil
1tsp light soy sauce
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp sugar
A dash of white pepper powder

1. Heat oil in wok, add in dried shrimps and stir fry until fragrant.
2. Add in yam bean and carrot, cook for 5mins
3. Season with light soy sauce, sugar, pepper and salt.
4. Switch off the heat, add in chopped parsley and roasted peanut, mix well and set aside

Dough
210g Tang flour 澄面粉 (Tang flour is a kind of wheat flour used in chinese cooking that is suitable for making outer layer of dumplings and buns. It is also called wheat starch. You can find it in any Chinese supermarket)

1tbsp tapioca flour
410ml water

1. Sift tang flour and tapioca flour.
2. Boil water in a pot, once water is boiled, add flour and quickly stir and switch off heat.
3. Transfer cooked dough on a work top, knead into smooth and soft dough, takes about 10mins.

To make the dumpling1. Divide dough into small portions and roll into round sheet.
2. Place suitable amount of filling on each sheet and seal the edge by pressing the dough
3. Place dumplings in a greased steamer and steam for 10mins over high heat.
4. Rest for 5mins till slightly cold, then only remove the dumpling from steamer.
5. Serve with chili sauce, yummy!

IMG_9040
Happy Cooking !!

37 comments:

tracieMoo said...

Owh, this is mum's favourite chai kueh! I like it with the chili sauce dip. Yum!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yum! I am definitely giving your recipe a try! Thanks!

苏联妈妈 said...

wow...这个倒入一些辣椒酱一流!

Angie's Recipes said...

让我想起了娥姐粉果。。。好吃

Yee Er said...

The vege dunpling look real yummy...Tkz!

choi yen said...

I never order teow chew dumpling when eating dim sumler, haha~!!

Anonymous said...

Nice one there! I like dumplings :)

Love2cook Malaysia said...

WOW, that's so yumm looking Sonia! Wish I can grab some over...owhhhh! ;)

Psst...there r some awards waiting for U at my blog, check-it-out!

Jane Chew said...

mmm...yummy!

Bakericious said...

this looks so gd esp if eating with dark sweet sauce and chilli sauce, drooling...

Pete said...

Wah, nice transparent skin.....

tigerfish said...

Usually the skin is the toughest to make. You have done excellent!

ICook4Fun said...

Sonia, I love this kueh. I remember many years ago my mom and aunt will made this on weekends for our breakfast. I still like to buy this from pasar malam when I go back home :)

Penny said...

my favourite! i can eat 10 one off haha..i remember my first pregnancy, so craving for tis food! crazy!

Cathy said...

These looks scrumptious, Sonia. I have a wonderful Asian market not too far away and hopefully can find all the ingredients. Can't wait to try this.

Sherreen said...

Tried doing this years ago....definately not easy to do especially the skin...have to knead it while it's hot...

ann low said...

Looks so special. I bet the filling is crunchy and flavorful.

Barbara said...

I still haven't attemped to make the dough from scratch. That will be my next challenge!
These look delicious!

Jeannie said...

Sealing without the pleats gets more fillings in huh? Nice colour and so transparent!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow adore dim sum

Shandy said...

You did a wonderful job making the dough for your dim sum dumplings and the filling looks delicious! I have made dough for dim sum dumplings in the past and loved it. A little time consuming but you feel great knowing every part of the recipe was made by you.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look really lovely. The dumpling skins are almost translucent. I can imagine how delicious these must be. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

tinyskillet said...

Beautiful dim sum! I want to just reach out and grab one!

3 hungry tummies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
3 hungry tummies said...

Sonia,
I haven't had any chai kuih for a very long time.. they look so good, looks like I might have to make some soon!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good! I haven't tried to make this skin before, wish I am more hardworking.

Beachlover said...

wow !! you're really terror now! can bake,cook and now make dim sum..I want to try making clear dumpling skin but don't have the mood yet...now looking at your making my hand gatal! haha!

Anonymous said...

I m new to your blog. I came across your blog when i goolge for this recipe. I love this kuih so much. But i dont know where to get the wheat starch. I m staying in klang also. can u tell me exactly where to get the starch. TQVM. Lina

Colin Woon said...

Oooo...I bet I will love this!

Good job Sonia!

Noob Cook said...

omg I like this! the hand made skin looks great, I like to eat this with some dark soy sauce and chilli :)~

petite nyonya said...

Sonia, you are getting more & more talented and adventurous in cooking. Admire you lah!

Happy Flour said...

Oh, I love Soon Kueh. Look yummy, hope to have my fork on it. ;P

Cheah said...

Wow, that's good looking kuih. I've yet to learn this, never tried making before. Thanks for sharing.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for stopping by, quickly try this out, you will love it.

Lina, Thanks for stopping by, you can get the Tang flour from the BS Bakery shop which is located opposite the big pasar at Jalan Meru.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Sonia, these look so well made! You've inspired me to make them. I was just thinking of making Png Kueh (the triangular type with glutinous rice)... But honestly I like this vegetable Soon Kueh better.

Alice Tay said...

Hi, first time visit, I love it very much. All the food I love it, will try some of them. I have been reading yr blog for few hours already.

Alice Tay said...

I know Klang's "chai pau" very famous, is it the same?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin