If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kueh Lapis (Indonesia layered cake) ~ CNY 2011

Kueh Lapis

This was my 1st attempt baking a Kueh Lapis, it took me 2 hours to make this. I baked this cake is meant to pray for "Pai Tin Kong". Last year I did a tiger fondant cake.



















My mom actually expecting me to make a nice fondant cake, maybe with a rabbit fondant. When she see this Kueh Lapis, she was a bit dissapointed because there is no decoration but just a plain cake. But I tell her "Tin Kong" will appreciate my effort since i spent 2 hours to make this, hehehe..

Kueh Lapis


I made alteration on the ingredients as I only has a 8" square tin and I managed to make 11 layers.

Kueh Lapis
*makes a 8” square baking tin
(source: recipe was adapted from Wens' Delight, recipe by Richard Goh)

Ingredients:
(A)
300g butter
120g Condensed milk
1tbsp Rum liquor
90g Cake flour
1/4tsp Lapis spice (All spice)

B)
12 Egg yolks (big)
85g Castor sugar
SP (optional - help to stabilise the egg yolk mixture and reduce the bubbles, also make the cake softer)—I did not add this

(B)
6 Egg whites
55g Castor sugar
1/4tsp Cream of tartar

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 deg C top and bottom heat. Warm up the baking tin before greasing and lining the base with baking paper

1. Cream butter, condensed milk and rum liquor at medium speed for abt 5-10 mins until fluffy and creamy. Add in the sifted flour and spice. Mix well and set aside.

2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar at max speed until thick. Add this mixture into Step 1 (butter mixture) gradually till well mix.

3. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a clean mixing bowl at max speed until stiff.

4. With a handwhisk/spatula fold 1/3 of the egg whites into Step 2 mixture and continue the process of folding the rest till two mixtures are well incorporated.

5. Place the baking paper on the preheated tin. Spread a small amount of batter (about 90-100g, weigh the batter to ensure even layer) on the warm tin and bake till golden at the center rack. Take about 5-7mins for the 1st layer.

6. Second layer onwards, increase the oven temp to 220 deg C at top heat only(if your oven has “grill” function). Subsequent layer takes about 3-4 mins to bake.

7. Use a metal presser to lightly press each baked layer before adding new batter. Spread the batter evenly till it melted. Before going into the oven, give it a bang to let out the air bubbles. This will help to even out the layers too. Continue baking the cake by the layers until the batter uses up.

Note: For ovens that do not allow the setting of top heat only, place a baking tray of water at the bottom of the oven.

* This cake was well received by all, very buttery, full of Rum and all spices aroma.

Kueh Lapis



Today is the last day of CNY, Happy "Chap Goh May"
元宵节快乐 !!

60 comments:

j3ss kitch3n said...

very beautiful kueh lapis! haha i think ti gong will appreciate your effortss!

maameemoomoo - a ½ food blog said...

Second jess kitchen!

Beautiful kueh lapis on your first attempt ;)

cikmanggis said...

cantiknya .Membuat kuih lapis mesti mempunyai kesabaran yang tinggi.kena tahan panas muka yang mengadap depan oven:).tahniah ya sb berjaya menghasilkan kek lapis yang kemas & cantik.

Alice said...

this is so nice!
i did this cake once and i spent 1 hour plus in front of oven doing layer by layer :P
adding rum is somthing i will try the next time i make this cake again
thks! :P

celine said...

first attempt and you had this result? WOW! great job, Sonia!

Jihyeon said...

quite exhausted to make kuih lapis!
To me, i rather buy than do ..wakaka!

Min said...

Very nice! This kuih lapis really requires a lot of effort, sure ti gong will appreciate this!

ai wei said...

can't believe it is ur first attempt. this is pretty. making kuih lapis is really tedious in work.

Coraine said...

WHoah! yours is really very nice! I burnt one layer~! HAHA!! I will try this recipe next time..it's like quite similar to the recipe that i've tried, just that less amount of butter and eggs used~ thanks for sharing!

Coraine @ life is like a long journey

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

第一次就酱漂亮了喔,要为你鼓掌:P

lena said...

sonia, so glad to see you're back to blogging here. your kuih lapis is absolutely beautiful, i shall keep this recipe.

Jane Chew said...

i am so blessed to taste it myself. It was so yummy! Great job!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Sonia, your kuih lapis is so beautiful!! So much effort in baking one, I'm sure Ti Gong will be happy :)

divya said...

Yummy cake! Mouthwatering!!

Nadji said...

Ton gâteau est absolument magnifique.
J'en prendrai bien un morceau.
A très bientôt.

ann low said...

Sonia, your kuih lapis is so well baked and I love the layers, so neat :)
元宵节快乐!!

Anonymous said...

oh wow! this is very very good for a first attempt! might better than mine for sure! haha well done!

Wen said...

Hi Sonia,

Happy Yuan Xiao Jie! Glad that u like the recipe as much as I do. Great job!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow 2 hours of hard work, but the payoff is great when you get to eat it.

Jeannie said...

This is one of the most beautiful layer cake I've seen so far...nice work!

susanyee said...

bravo,d kueh lapis is so nice ^^

happy chap goh mei!

Swee San said...

i love making kek lapis now... :)

Federica Simoni said...

wowwwwwwwwwww che meraviglia!!!!!!

Colin Woon said...

Looks fantastic!

Madhura Manoj said...

Wow beautiful & so perfect.Great job!
http://www.easycookingforamateurs.com/

pigpigscorner said...

wow, beautiful! Lots of work, but so worth it!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Wow, it's so nice...

WendyinKK said...

This is done with ur new Teka oven or the old one?
Oh ya, I forgot to ask you that day abt ur new oven. Too bad I can't go for the next meeting.

ahteekitchen said...

Sonia's Kaima, U'r such a good cooker n baker!
Always challenging the tough one!
I Love the color and appearance!

Cheah said...

Gosh, Sonia, that 2 hours of hard labour is well spent! The ultimate result is just LOVELY!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, this looks amazing! My hubby just asked me to make this cake and you posted the recipe. How timely. Thank you my dear.

Pei-Lin said...

LOL! HAHAHAHA! OMG! Damn funny lar you! Tin Kong of course will appreciate you slogging for 2 hours in the kitchen! You perspired a lot during that time, ya know! HAHA! Your kek lapis looks so goooood!

Reanaclaire said...

gosh...kueh lapis.. expensive outside cos involves a lot of labour, right? my kids love this..

Chris said...

Sonia,

The cake looks beautiful!!!

tigerfish said...

One of the most time-consuming cake to bake and you did it! :D

温馨小屋 said...

很幸运的我....我也有份尝到这个好吃的kuih lapis.
你这么用心做这么好吃的kuih lapis 天公一定保佑你们的.。。

The Sweetylicious said...

omg! 2 hours! im sure ti gong will appreciate your effort (: those layers are so beautifully done! and it look realy delicious! (:

daphne said...

"only" 11 layers? sonia, I dont even have the heart to make this because it takes so much effort!!! Well done. I love how buttery and melt in the mouth it looks.. bet it tastes just like that.

Penny said...

I love this recipe and all of your recipes. I will be spending some time with your blog today. Thanks Sonia.

DG said...

Very nice baked lapis! For the first time, you already baked the layers so neat ... I remembered my first time, I so scared getting burn ... end result cannot see the layers LOL.

Unknown said...

Amazing! It looks delicious and so perfect that it looks like it belongs in a bakery!

Unknown said...

i love to eat it, but hard to do it right? cos too much step.....:)

Jo said...

I love eating kuih lapis but have not bothered to make it myself. Yours look so good and I can't believe it is your 1st time baking it too!

Bakeling said...

You are really patient enough to make kuih lapis !
Salute !

Anonymous said...

Your layer cake is perfect!!! I want to try to make it soon.

Bakericious said...

Sonia, your kuih lapis looks really nice and good. This is my favourite but I am not sure when then I will attempt it, too tedious for lazy people like me :P

minneville said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! My grandpa used to live in Jakarta and he always brought back these cakes whenever he visited us. I love them...but 12 egg yolks...i'll need to save up my quotas before making them! just kidding ;)

Jason said...

Very nice baked lapis! For the first time, you already baked the layers so neat ... I remembered my first time, I so scared getting burn ... end result cannot see the layers LOL.

just me said...

Hi Sonia, what does SP stand for?
Thanks

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

SP meant cake emulsifier ,
A kind of chemical gel to stabilized the cake batter

just me said...

Thanks, Sonia =)

Travel said...

Hi Sonia! Baked this and it was a success :) I have to put more spice next time but thank you for the recipe :)

Michelle said...

Hi Sonia, I though of baking this lapis for CNY, and I have a few question. I only have a 9 inch cake pan, do I need to increase the recipe? Can I skip the Rum or replace by baileys or vanilla extract? My oven have a grill function, but I cant adjust the temperature for that function, do you advise to use grill function or the water bath method with the top & bottom heat? Thank you!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Michelle, yes maybe you can increase 1/4 of the recipe for 9" cake tin size . Ya you can replaced Rum with others . I suggest you use grill function since each layer is thin, just to watch out the cake during baking .

Michelle said...

Thanks Sonia!! Anyway to reduce the sugar? I made it last week but it's a bit sweet for my family.

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia

Do you use golden churn for the lapis? Beautiful came.

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia I tried to bake this cake, it turned out still satisfactory, tasted good & layers are visible except the bottom half feels heavy when I hold the slices in my hand and bottom first layer look oily & little transparent. Can you please advise what went wrong?
Thanks
Jesline

Jenny Ang said...

Can I know what is the all spice...? Where do I get it...? Thank u

Jenny Ang said...

Can I know what is the all spice...? Where do I get it...? Thank u

Unknown said...

Hi, I am very excited when I found your blog. I was looking for making lapis legit with electric oven. For sure your cake was turning beautiful 😍
Can you explain to me how to bake in electric oven. I will appreciate it.
Regards
Sari

Blog Widget by LinkWithin