If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, February 28, 2011

Vegetarian white Mee Hoon (Rice Vermicelli)

Vegetarian white Mee Hoon(Rice Vermicelli)


After a heavy dinner (eating few types of red meats) at my husband's friend house yesterday night, today I just like to cook something that plain and contain a lot of vegetable for lunch.


















This time I did not add dark soy sauce (Hokkien dish usually like to add e.g Hokkian fried mee hoon) to this vegetarian mee hoon as I want it simple and all vegetables can be visible.

Vegetarian white Mee Hoon(Rice Vermicelli)



I also learnt a method to have elastic (QQ effect) of mee hoon from a Chinese TV cooking show. Blanch mee hoon in hot boiling water till turn white, set aside for several minuts.

Vegetarian white Mee Hoon(Rice Vermicelli)


Ingredients

Vegetarian white Mee Hoon(Rice Vermicelli)



Vegetarian white Mee Hoon(Rice Vermicelli)
(Recipe source: Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)


Ingredients

400g (1 packet) Mee Hoon/Rice Vermicelli

1 carrot, shredded
2 celery, shredded
2 Japanese cucumber, shredded
5 dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked for several hours, shredded
4 tofu puff, shredded
150g bean sprouts, washed and drained

100ml water (you may adjust according to your type/brand of Rice Vermicelli)

Seasonings
2tbsp light soy sauce
1tbsp sugar
1 and 1/2tsp salt or to taste
A dash of white pepper powder

Method:-
1. Blanch mee hoon in hot boiling water for less than a minute( when color turned white), drained and set aside for 5mins. Loosen the mee hoon.
2. Heat oil in a wok, sauté mushroom,tofu puff and carrot for 1min.
3. Add in celery and bean sprout, mix well.
4. Pour in water, add in seasonings, cook for another 1min but still remain some water.
5. Turn off the heat, add in mee hoon, gently stir and mix well with the vegetables.
6. Turn on low heat, add in cucumber, cover and cook for another 1mins.
7. Turn off the heat, stir well and serve.

My daugher and I enjoyed this mee hoon a lot especially every bite of crunchy cucumber but not sure my little son Desmond will like this or not since he doesn't fancy veggie!! But I guess he doesn't mind to have this meehoon since he is hungry when returned from school at around 3pm, hehehe...


Vegetarian white Mee Hoon(Rice Vermicelli)



Happy Cooking !!

 

31 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

清清淡淡地,真好吃:)

Jane Chew said...

Look at this make me hungry. I just cook porridge today as the weather is so hot (currently is 40C) and all of us feeling sick:(

ann low said...

Very healthy vegetarian meal. Love it!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Nice vegetarian mee hoon!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

yummy yummy!!!

Unknown said...

Simple and healthy recipe. Thanks.

kitchen queen said...

nutritious and healthy vermicilli recipe.

My Little Space said...

I like this kind of bee hon too! I need some chili api dipping sauce. Yummm... Hope you're having a great week ahead.
Blessings, Kristy

WendyinKK said...

Sometimes I do not add in the dark sauce too.
It somehow gives me the feeling that it's healthier that way. Haha!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Ohh love vegetarian bee hoon! Should cook it on the coming 1st of the lunar month, yum!

Little Inbox said...

Haha...I learned that method too. :)
Vegetarian food, now I have vegetarian lunch on every working days.

ICook4Fun said...

I actually like this type of vegetarian mee hoon. Good with curry :) I too like to blanch my bee hoon in hot water.

Jeannie said...

I don't get to cook meehoon at home because no one would eat it except for me!:( Yours looks really healthy!

lena said...

i blanch the mee hoon in hot water too but my purpose is just to get them softer..didnt know that it can make the bee hoon more elastic. thanks for the tips. This is a light and healthy dish!

busygran said...

My all-time favourite is fried beehoon! Very tempting to cook this!

ahteekitchen said...

I shall describe this beeHoon as ~~~ 清爽!
Plusing some shredded eggs & sambal tumis, I'll have a few bowls~

minneville said...

I have never shredd celery like this to cook rice vermicelli. Glad I'm learning something new!

divya said...

yummy and perfect healthy rice noodles...

Cooking Gallery said...

This is a real comfort food...!Easy to make and totally delicious... I don't normally use celery and cucumber, but they sound like doo additions to the vermicelli!

tigerfish said...

Hey Sonia, what a coincidence indeed :) I like your vegetarian version too. Usually I just use cabbage, carrot, shallots, garlic for my vegetarian version. Yours has so much more ingredients. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

My daughter has been asking me to make one...thks for the detailed receipe and sharing it with us. Will make one for breakfast this weekend. Sue

daphne said...

Sometimes, ppl think that chinese food is full of sauces and flavouring but what i like about this is it's simple, healthy with clean flavours!! esp after a big meal previously.

苏联妈妈 said...

next time i will ask my mum to used ur method so the mee hoon will have elastic (QQ effect) .

Bakericious said...

this is always my favourite, I love to go with chilli padi, yum!

cherry potato said...

我很爱吃青淡口味的炒米粉,尤其是像你这款的;可是我家人却喜欢吃加了酱油炒的米粉。

Juliana said...

Yummie, I love the texture of this noddles...and yours look delicious, love the vegetarian version of it. Great pictures as well. Have a great week ahead :-)

The Sudden Cook said...

So very nutritious. Simple, light and tasty.

Colin Woon said...

I sure hope I can get a bowl of this right now! I enjoy light dishes very much and I bet I will love this bowl of mee hoon!

Cheah said...

Thanks for the tip for blanching the mee hoon. Like vegetarian food, once in a while.

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am sure Mum will enjoy this Mee hoon. She eats veg more than meat. I think I will enjoy this too when I don't want any meat with my noodles.

Jan said...

I love vegetarian food once in a while. Excellent recipe, can't wait to give it a go.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin