I have been quite a while did not bake my favourite butter cake. When my mom came to my place the other day (rice dumplings session) , I bake this Zebra butter cake for her since she also love butter cake.
I still use back the old fashioned butter cake recipe which using egg separation method..
I feel egg separation method resulted lighter butter cake.
This time, I have over beaten the egg white till stiff peaks, so I use a hand balloon whisk to stir egg white with the egg yolk batter instead of fold it using spatula. The cake still turned out good.
Zebra Butter Cake 斑马蛋糕(recipe source : by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes a 8” or 7” round cake pan (removable bottom)
227g unsalted butter85g caster sugar
5 egg yolks (large)
190g cake flour, sifted
1/2tsp + 1/4tsp double action baking powder, sifted
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp fine salt
5 egg whites (large)80g sugar
10g cocoa powder (I use Valrhona cocoa powder)2tbsp hot water
1 and 1/2tbsp milk, to add with plain cake batter
Method1. Line the base of cake pan with paper and lightly grease the sides. Mix cocoa powder and hot water, set aside. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
2. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour and baking powder and beat well to combine. Fold through the milk and combine well.
3. Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl until soft foam. Gradually add in sugar, and beat till soft peak.
4. Take one portion of the egg white mixture, and use a hand whisk to stir well with egg yolk mixture till combine.
5. Slowly fold in the balance egg white with a spatula till well combine.
6. Divide cake batter into two portions ( I divided plain cake batter 500g and 400g for chocolate cake batter) . Add in cocoa mixture into 400g cake batter and lightly mix till combine. Add 1 1/2tbsp milk into plain batter, mix well.
7. Using a small soup ladle, scoop 3 of plain batter into center of cake pan. Then, scoop 3 of chocolate batter onto the center of the plain batter. Use the back of the ladle, smooth out the batter a bit. Continue to scoop another 3 plain and chocolate batter, then reduce to 2 scoops and continue layering and reduce till 1 scoop towards at the end. The circles become smaller and smaller as you working with the batter. Lightly tap on worktop to remove air bubbles.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 50mins or until the skewer insert comes out clean.
9. Let cake cool on a wire rack before remove, don't need to wait completely cool.