My kids love this stuffed tomato rice, but I can't cook much as i can't stuff too much of rice in the small cavity of kampong chicken.
I let the chicken marinate in the fridge overnight and uncovered as try to dry the skin in order to get crispy skin. At the end of baking, brush with some butter, to have nice buttery skin.
Roasted Chicken stuffed with tomato rice 烤鸡酿番茄饭
1 bird chicken ( I use kampong chicken ~1.2kg)1 1/2tsp sea salt1/2tbsp dark soy sauce
to prepare tomato rice
1/2tbs butter1tbsp olive oil½ onion, chopped1 cup Basmati rice1/2cup tomato puree1/2cup water1/2tsp salt3 sausages, sliced ( I use with chili flavoured)
Butter (salted), for brushing
- Marinate chicken with salt and dark soy sauce for several hours or prefer overnight in the fridge (uncover as to dry the skin).
- To cook tomato rice, heat butter and olive oil in a pot, add in onion, sauté till aroma.
- Add in rice, stir to mix well, add in water and tomato puree, season with salt.
- Cook over low heat till all water evaporated, stir from time to time. Add in sausages, mix well. Dish out, set aside to cool.
- Stuff cooked tomato rice into chicken’s cavity, pressing down to fill. Secure cavity with a skewer or toothpicks. Place in a large baking pan. Bake for 25mins at 190C.
- Remove chicken from oven, brush the whole chicken with butter, return to oven and continue to bake for 10mins or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover