I tried not to over baked this chiffon cake, so i can have no brown spot look of chiffon cake. Actually this time the cake just leave the side of the pan after i upside it down, so it was easy to remove this chiffon cake from the tin.
Durian Chiffon Cake 榴莲戚风蛋糕*makes a 7” tube chiffon pan (I used 6.5” )3 egg yolks (A size)15g condensed milk (or you may replace with 10g caster sugar)35g corn oil45g fresh milk45g Durian puree ( strain the durian flesh, leaving behind the fibres)75g cake flour
3 egg white (A size)40g caster sugar1/4tsp cream of tartarMethod
- Immediately separate cold eggs after taken them out from the refrigerator (cold eggs separate more easily) into two mixing bowls (No oil and no water in these bowls, clean and dry bowls). Set aside and allow them return to room temperature.
- Add in condensed milk with egg yolks, lightly whisk till light
- Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add in milk and durian puree, stir well to combine. Add in flour, stir to well combine.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy , gradually add in sugar in there batches and continue beat until soft peak formed .
- Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well and lighten the egg yolk batter (Do not worry you will deflate the batter at this stage )
- Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in 1/3 of meringue, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared chiffon tube pan, wipe off those excess batter stick on the tube or insert area. Fill batter about 80% full but not fill too full as cake has no space to rise while baking and resulted cake shrinkage. Tap pan on the counter top to remove air trapped inside the batter.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170c for 30mins at middle rack or until cooked (Every oven is difference, please adjust according to your oven to achieve best result).
- Once done, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.
- Chiffon cake is ready to unmould. You can use a plastic thin spatula to run the pan and unmould the chiffon or you can unmould using bare hands method if you have mastered this skill.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover