I prefer to prepare all ingredients separately so the dessert soup tasted refresh but not too thick.
Black Sesame Tangyuan and Tri-colours sweet potatoes ginger syrup 三色番薯黑芝麻汤圆To make black sesame filling100g organic black sesame powder20g caster sugar50g butter, melted
For the tri-colours sweet potatoes1 small purple sweet potato, small cubes1 small orange sweet potato, small cubes1 small yellow sweet potato, small cubesTo make glutinous rice dough200g glutinous rice flour1tsp caster sugar150g hot water (not hot boiling water)For ginger syrup1.3lt water5 pandan leaves, knotted4 slices of ginger½-3/4cup sugar, adjust to your preferenceMethod
- For black sesame filling, mix all ingredients together then shape into 10g each ball (can get 15 portions). Store in the fridge to harden.
- For the potatoes, place them on a steaming tray, steam till half cooked (~3-5mins). Set aside.
- For the glutinous rice dough, mix all ingredients together till smooth dough.
- To make black sesame tang yuan, divide glutinous rice dough into 15 portions, shape to ball.
- Flatten the dough, place a black sesame ball then wrap and shape to round ball. Repeat till all finished.
- Cook the ginger syrup by boil water with pandan leaves and ginger slices, and boil till aroma.
- Add in half cooked sweet potatoes cubes and boil for few minutes. Cook black sesame Tang yuan in another pot, drop in Tangyuan balls in hot boiling water, once it floating on top, then transfer to ginger syrup. Add in sugar and adjust the taste accordingly.
- Serve hot or warm.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover
Wishing you a Wonderful year 2016 ahead !!