If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Teochew Vegetarian Rolls / Kwang Chian 潮州灌腸 /光煎

This was a vegetarian dish that I cooked during CNY. Usually we practise full day vegetarian meal on CNY day 1. And i always just cook Loh Hon Chai to enjoy through out the day. But this year, i cook an extra new dish, a Teochew traditional snack called Kwang Chian after i saw a recipe in Chinese newspaper. I have never had this snack before, after tasted it, i just simply like this snack, taro and Chinese five spices nice fragrance, crispy beancurd skin after deep fried, nice aroma of peanuts, yum yum.










Teochew Vegetarian Rolls /Kwang Chian 潮州灌腸 /光煎
*makes 5 rolls

1 large sheet of beancurd skin (for making Ngor Hiong type)

300g taro, shreds
300 yam bean, shreds
100g rice flour

150g cooked peanuts ( I use pressure to cook for 20mins)
3/4tsp salt
1/2tsp Chinese five spices powder
White pepper

Method
  1. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl till combined.
  2. Cut beancurd skin into medium size (I didn’t use finish the whole sheet), spoon in some filling, roll and tuck in the sides, roll up then seal the end with flour batter (flour and water).
  3. Place on a steaming rack with the seam side down. Steam the rolls over medium heat for 20mins. Let the rolls cool down in room temperature. You can pack them in air tight bags and freeze it for later consumption.
  4. On the day of serving, slice the rolls, and deep fried till golden brown. Serve with chili sauce.


Reference to the recipe provided in the newspaper, Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been having this dish during CNY for the past 20over years.my mum made it every year without fail and it has always been our favourites. However my mum`s version is that she uses grounded peanuts which i found it giving a better taste.

Joanne

mui mui said...

hi ah chi,
I have not come across this vegen roll before. I can see it look pretty inviting. I guess it is good to go with plain porridge too.
mui

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia

May i know what is yam bean in mandarin ?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Claudia, yam bean is 沙葛

Yan said...

Hi! How to you fry the cut kwang chian nicely? Did you use a batter? Tried, but mine got stuck onto the wok...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Tan kok Yan, no I didn't use batter, no problem when frying. Maybe you can dust with rice flour before fry.

Brownie said...

Thanks again for the wonderful recipe . My sister made them every Chinese New Year but I never try to make it. I will with your recipe with the precise measurement .do you strain the bean thread to get rid of the water ? What is Ngor Hiong kind of bean curd in Chinese ?are they the fresh one ?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Silik, no I didn't strain water from yambean. The beancurd skin is the special dried beancurd skin for making Ngor Hiong, usually in big sheet .

Brownie said...

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will search for the beancurd sheet in the Chinese supermarket .

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

this looks super good! can eat with lor mee!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin