Just managed to take few photos as i hard hard time to handle the soft custard filling
Soft pastry, less sweet custard and salted egg yolks, one of the mooncake that i will bake every year!
Baked Salted Egg Yolk Custard Mooncakes 咸蛋奶黃月饼*makes 4-5 mooncakes using medium plastic and spring mooncake mouldFor Egg custard
60g custard powder40g milk powder60g sugar160ml coconut milk30g full cream condensed milk30g melted butter2 eggs (Asize)4 egg yolks (brush with rice wine, steamed for 5minsMethod
- Mix custard powder, milk powder, sugar in a mixing bowl. Add in coconut milk, condensed milk, butter and eggs. Stir to combine well. Sift the batter.
- Pour the batter in a shallow plate, steam over high heat for 8mins.
- Let the custard to cool down a bit, use a processor to process till fine. Then mix and knead till form a dough. Set aside.
- Divide the custard dough and add one egg yolk to become 90g each, lightly shape to ball. Set aside.For the skin230g Hong Kong flour160g golden syrup70g melted butter1/4tsp alkaline water1 egg yolk + 1tsp milk + 1tsp water- for egg washMethod
- Mix flour, syrup, butter and alkaline water till form a dough. Set aside to rest for 2hrs.
- Divide the dough into 45g each, shape to ball.
- Flatten the dough ball into round disc, place a custard ball in the middle, seal and roll into round.
- Place the mooncake on a plastic mould, lightly flatten, then knock out. .
- Bake at a pre-heated oven at 180C for 5mins, removed from oven and rest it for 15mins. Apply egg wash on the whole mooncake. Reduce temp to 170C and continue to bake for 15-20mins or until golden brown.
Reference :an article published in a newspaper, recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover