You can use a fruit juicer machine to easily get the grated cassava. But i still prefer old way using this type of grater to get fine grated cassava.
Use a muslin cloth bag to squeeze out the bitter juices
Just use bare hand to mix the mixture
Line with banana leaves for easy to remove the cake and also extra fragrance!
Don't worry if you see the cake puff up during baking, it will become flat once cooled down.
Use a plastic knife for easy cutting
The texture is so fine and less sweet, nice..
Bingka Ubi / Baked Cassava Cake 烤木薯糕*for a 10'x10" square pan, or you can use 9"x9" pan for a thicker cake1kg grated Cassava /Tapioca, after removed the juices (Before peel and grate is ~2kg)1 egg (A size)1/4tsp fine salt250g thick coconut milk150g water200g caster sugar40g salted butter, room temperatureSalted butter, for greasingMethod
- In order to get 1kg of grated cassava. You have to use more than 1kg of cassava. Wash the cassava, cut the hard head and tail, then cut into few segments. Use a knife to make a slit on the cassava segment, then peel off the skin.
- Use a grater to grate the cassava till finely. Then use a muslin cloth bag to squeeze out the juices (don’t need too dry, it is ok when leave it with some juices). If you don’t squeeze out the juices, it will taste bitter.
- Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl, just use bare hand to mix the batter till combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan ( line with banana leaves or parchment paper , and grease with butter), and smooth the top.
- Bake at a pre-heated oven at 200C (middle rack) for 60mins or till golden brown.
- Remove baked cassava cake from oven, brush a layer of butter on top to enhance the flavours.
Reference: comfort food recipes show, recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover