A freshly home baked natural yeast loaf, it smell so fresh and good !
Baking soft loaf with natural yeast, just like normal bread making method, add butter at last stage.
Wholemeal Loaf_Natural Yeast 天然酵母_全麦土司*for a 11cmx20cm (internal), non-stick Pullman tin175g bread flour75g wholemeal flour225g natural yeast from sourdough starter (culture with bread flour)40g organic sugar
1/2tsp sea salt125g fresh milk25g butter, room tempMethod
- Bring out sourdough starter from the fridge. Feed it with 20g bread flour and 20g water ( if you have less starter, you can feed more) or without feeding it if your starter is active -use it very often (usually I follow this method). Allow to peak, take less than 2hrs. You may perform a float test. Drop a small spoon of starter into water, if its float, that means you may start to use the starter.
- In a stand mixer, add in all ingredients except butter, mix and knead till smooth. Slowly add in liquid (milk) and adjust the amount accordingly as your starter might have difference % of hydration and difference brand of flour also has difference moisture.
- Add in butter, knead till elastic and shining dough. Cover and set aside to proof till double in size (~2hrs).
- Punch down the dough to expel air. Equally divide dough into 3 equal balls, then allow to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle shape and roll it up or just roll into balls, then place it in the Pullman tin. Final proofing till about 90% full ( ~3hrs).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 35mins. Loosely cover the top with foil when it is browning (~15mins) , reduce to 170C (fan forced) and bake for another 5mins.
- Removed loaf from the oven, immediately remove bread from the tin. Cool on wire rack before slicing.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover