If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cottage Pie

Cottage pie


I just learnt that a Shepherd’s Pie is made from ground mutton/lamb where a Cottage Pie is made of ground beef. So today I preparing a British classic-Cottage pie but not a Shepherd's pie.
















This is a delicious and comfort meal~ I'm preparing this for lunch, my kids love it!

~ before baking ~

Cottage pie


~ after baked~

Cottage pie


Cottage pie
(recipe source: made reference to Pig Pig's Corner Shepherd's pie, re-created by Sonia)

For mashed potato topping
3 large US Russet potatoes
100ml fresh milk
Black pepper
Salt

Method
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling water till until tender (I use pressure cooker that just need 10mins to cook)
2. Mash the potatoes, add in milk and season with salt and black pepper.
3. Set aside.

For beef fillings

500g minced beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
150g mixed vegetables

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Bay leaf, torn
3 tbsp tomato paste
a pinch of Rosemary flakes
a pinch of Parsley flakes
a pinch of Cayenne pepper , optional
black pepper
salt
100ml water

Method
1. Heat Olive oil in a pan.
2. Saute chopped onion and garlic
3. Add in mixed vegetables, mix well
4. Add in minced beef, stir well.
5. Add water and all seasonings, cook till sauce has thickened.

To assemble Cottage pie

Parmesan cheese powder
Parsley flakes

Method
1. Spoon cooked minced beef in a 9” round baking pan.
2. Layer the mashed potato generously on top of the mince
3. Fluff up the mash potato with a fork to make rough peaks.
4. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese powder and parsley flakes on top.
5. Bake in the 180˚C pre-heated oven for approximately 25 mins, and brown the top at 200˚C until golden brown.


Cottage pie

Happy Baking !!

30 comments:

Alice said...

wow Sonia...looks nice and delicious!!! :P
can i change the beef to chicken? my kids dont really like beef....

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

OMG these looks so yummy and mouth-watering dear. Will definitely once I get my oven back.My son love these types of baked items esp mashed potatos

The Sudden Cook said...

Looks super yummy....

WendyinKK said...

Yummy!
Hey, your internet connection is back oredi eh?
I see you posting as often as before now.
Good!!

busygran said...

Looks good and yummy! I'm not into mutton or lamb, but I don't mind beef.

Diane said...

I have not had cottage pie in years, this looks very yummy. Diane

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

呵呵,我没吃牛肉,但还是想称赞你的作品好漂亮哟:P

Bakeling said...

I would love this pie very much because of the ingredients ,they are all my favourite .

CaThY said...

awesome! looks so yummy :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wow, Sonia, this look super delicious! Indeed it is very comforting to have this. :)

Min said...

I love the potatoes on the top, so yummy!

hanushi said...

This is really pretty... Esp the top view. Appetizing...

ICook4Fun said...

Great looking pie! We don't eat mutton so this is something that I will make.

Unknown said...

Lovely pie - one of my favourites when I lived in the UK. Yummy topping:))

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Lovely Cottage Pie!

pigpigscorner said...

YUM! I like the idea of sprinkling parsley flakes on top!

Cheah said...

Looks so yummy, no wonder your kids love it!

daphne said...

i love how u used a fork to racked the potato first. Classic! Must be a hit for kids as well? ;)

HL H said...

Looks yummy, but can I change it to pork or chicken, coz my kids won't eat beef but they like potato.

ann low said...

That's lovely cottage pie, I made this too with minced chicken.

Miss Tam Chiak said...

wow! cottage pie! my favourite, very hard to find good ones in spore! ur big cottage pie can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, this looks SO SO GOOD! I would change the beef to pork or chicken too. This will be the next pie to make on my list. See you tomorrow dear.

Tina said...

delicious pie...

lena said...

no beef or lamb for me but i love the potatoes topping hat you made on them!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great with the pattern you made on the smashed potatoes.

Cooking Gallery said...

I never knew the difference until now ... Well, I guess it's because my tastebud's too Asian ;). This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy other types of food, I do, but living far away from home makes me want to eat Asian food very regularly... Your cottage pie looks beautiful by the way...!

chow and chatter said...

love this kind of meal this is my pregnancy craving he he good ole British food yum

i also just made a banana bread today ! you inspired me

Rebecca

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle said...

When I was a kid my mom made something like this. She called it hamburger pie...we just called it good!

Suman Singh said...

First time here..you have a lovely space with some great dishes...Glad to follow you.
Cottage pie looks so yummy and delicious!

http://dapurresepnusantara.blogspot.com/ said...

Looks great with the pattern you made on the smashed potatoes.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin