I just learnt that a Shepherd’s Pie is made from ground mutton/lamb where a Cottage Pie is made of ground beef. So today I preparing a British classic-Cottage pie but not a Shepherd's pie.
This is a delicious and comfort meal~ I'm preparing this for lunch, my kids love it!
~ before baking ~
~ after baked~
(recipe source: made reference to Pig Pig's Corner Shepherd's pie, re-created by Sonia)
For mashed potato topping
3 large US Russet potatoes
100ml fresh milk
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling water till until tender (I use pressure cooker that just need 10mins to cook)
2. Mash the potatoes, add in milk and season with salt and black pepper.
3. Set aside.
For beef fillings
500g minced beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
150g mixed vegetables
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Bay leaf, torn
3 tbsp tomato paste
a pinch of Rosemary flakes
a pinch of Parsley flakes
a pinch of Cayenne pepper , optional
1. Heat Olive oil in a pan.
2. Saute chopped onion and garlic
3. Add in mixed vegetables, mix well
4. Add in minced beef, stir well.
5. Add water and all seasonings, cook till sauce has thickened.
To assemble Cottage pie
Parmesan cheese powder
1. Spoon cooked minced beef in a 9” round baking pan.
2. Layer the mashed potato generously on top of the mince
3. Fluff up the mash potato with a fork to make rough peaks.
4. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese powder and parsley flakes on top.
5. Bake in the 180˚C pre-heated oven for approximately 25 mins, and brown the top at 200˚C until golden brown.
Happy Baking !!