If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, April 4, 2011

Brown Sugar Huat Kueh ( Chinese steamed cake) 发糕

Brown Sugar Huat Kueh (steamed brown sugar Chinese cake)

I have not tried to prepare this Huat Kueh before until a reader asked me to provide the recipe. She saw this Huat Kueh prepared by my mom in my previous post of pray for "Pai Ting Kong"





















This traditional Huat Kueh is a prosperity cake in Chinese family as we believe it will bring good luck and good fortune. We will only use Huat Kueh that have smiling face (split on top) to pray.


Brown Sugar Huat Kueh (steamed brown sugar Chinese cake)




This cake is soft, fluffy and slightly chewy texture. If you keep it overnight, steam again and it will return to the same original texture.

Brown Sugar Huat Kueh (steamed brown sugar Chinese cake)


Asked my mom to provide recipe, as usual, she only agak-agak (estimate) only. Luckily this cake turn out perfect and have smiling face after I pandai pandai re-created ^^.

Brown Sugar Huat Kueh (steamed brown sugar Chinese cake)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 10 small cakes

330g all purpose flour
70g brown sugar
30g sugar
100ml hot water
1tsp margarine
1tsp instant active yeast
75ml water

Method
1. Melt brown sugar and sugar in hot water, set aside and let it turn warm.
2. Mix yeast and flour in a mixing bowl, add in warm sugar mixture (No1).
3. Add in margarine and water, mix well till a sticky dough (don’t knead the dough, just mix well). Set aside to rest for 1hour.
4. Remove dough from the mixing bowl, slightly knead the dough (still quite sticky). Equally divide into 60g ball, place it in a small round tin (do not need to grease) and arrange on a steaming tray.
5. Steam over rapidly boiling water for 15-20mins.


* you may change to other flavours like pandan, colouring, banana or etc...


Brown Sugar Huat Kueh (steamed brown sugar Chinese cake)


I also realized that the ingredients use is very similar to a bread recipe, the only difference is this cake is using steaming method instead of baking method....

45 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

笑了笑了....它们都笑了^^

cherry potato said...

I have an award for you, please come to collect from my blog :http://cherry-potato.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

sean said...

发咯!发咯!
发得很好呢!

susanyee said...

huat oh..hehe

My Little Space said...

Sonia, thanks alot for another lovely fatt kuih recipe. I love trying all sort of fatt kuih. Hope you're having a wonderful week ahead.
Regards, Kristy

Federica Simoni said...

è sempre un piacere passare nel tuo blog..che bontà!!!complimenti!

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

I love all the traditional utensils you used! The green enamel plate and the little authentic Huat Keuh tins :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Huat goh is definitely a classic that will be passed down to generations, brown sugar definitely makes it more fragrant!

Angie's Recipes said...

Your huat goh look perfect!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Great! I need to print this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Preety said...

they looks simply delicious

Cuisine Paradise said...

So lovely!!!! So nice yours all SMILING Faces de :)

苏联妈妈 said...

HUAT ahhhhhh....大发。。小发统统来!哈哈

Elin Chia said...

Sonia...lovely huat kuih ....smiling all the way :) makes me smile too...early in the morning not only that ...hungrrrry too :p thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Anonymous said...

haha, you very very pandai to have made this!

Jane Chew said...

huat liao! haha... u must be very happy to see all this kuih laughing at u :)

hanushi said...

Nice sunshine smiling tops!!! :)

Anonymous said...

look so nice. when i was small i love to eat this. ahahah.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Wow, so nice...

ady said...

Look delicious, must try to do it one day.

Jes's Deli Corner said...

Hi, I have an award for you. Check this out http://jesdelicorner.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-award.html

Unknown said...

HUAT ah HUAT....all your huat-kuih have a GOOD AND BIG SMILE ^_^.....

ReeseKitchen said...

Yum yum! Wish I can have a bite! I like Huast Kueh, the texture simply makes me want another and another...;p

The Sweetylicious said...

is so lovely! (: yummy!!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Sonia pandai sia!

Personally I think yeast Huat kueh taste better than Huat kueh made of baking power and Eno.

lena said...

the colour brown is very nice..making fatt koh is very challenging..sometimes just anxious about the smiling top!

pigpigscorner said...

I've always wanted to try making these, a classic indeed!

daphne said...

that huat means u will be prosperous right? hehee, that's what my granny used to say that it is "smiling"

Juliana said...

We just had these cakes during the Chinese New Year celebrations...yours look so light and fluffy. Yummie! Have a great week ahead :-)

Miss Tam Chiak said...

wahseh! u made so many! If cannot finish, please share share! keke

Looks good, HUAT AH!

tigerfish said...

I enjoy holding a warm huat kueh in my hands just after they are steamed, then trying to sink my first bite into it!

Lisa H. said...

Another fave of mine...I like eating it with freshly grated coconut :D

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, this huat kuah, really 'HUAT"!! long time haven't eaten one. I don't like what my mum bought from outside. Nothing compared to yours.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sonia, my huat kueh hardly smile but I'm still making the bald head huat kueh. Anyway, we don't use it to pray, just for home consumption :P

aeshcame said...

Great blog of recipessss..follow u to get recipe updates! keep it up yeah..

Unknown said...

I have bought a packet of that flour but fail in baking it.

Kenny said...

Just wondered if the texture is firm or fluffy? How does it compare to Ma Lie Ko?

Anonymous said...

Hi sonia,
Is this recipe the same for the pink coloured huat kuih?
Do i need to change to normal sugar? Thanks

Lisa

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Lisa, yes, replaced all sugar with normal sugar if you wish to make pink huat kuih.

Unknown said...

I have earmarked this traditional huat kueh. Thanks for sharing

Pauline said...

hi. I just tried your recipe but mine did not split open at the top? do you have any thoughts as to why?

teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, I want to make this for CNY. i don't have the bowls mentioned in your recipe. You think it is ok to steam them in muffin tray with paper liners? Thanks!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

teo ai li, i think should be ok with muffin tray and lined with paper.

LoveToCookAndBake said...

Hi Sonia, may I know if I can replace hot water with equal amount of coconut milk? Also, can I use butter instead of margarine; equal amount? Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, can I use the same ingredients and steam a 6 or 7" Huat Kueh? What is the correcting timing? Thanks

Blog Widget by LinkWithin