Monday, April 4, 2011
Brown Sugar Huat Kueh ( Chinese steamed cake) 发糕
I have not tried to prepare this Huat Kueh before until a reader asked me to provide the recipe. She saw this Huat Kueh prepared by my mom in my previous post of pray for "Pai Ting Kong"
This traditional Huat Kueh is a prosperity cake in Chinese family as we believe it will bring good luck and good fortune. We will only use Huat Kueh that have smiling face (split on top) to pray.
This cake is soft, fluffy and slightly chewy texture. If you keep it overnight, steam again and it will return to the same original texture.
Asked my mom to provide recipe, as usual, she only agak-agak (estimate) only. Luckily this cake turn out perfect and have smiling face after I pandai pandai re-created ^^.
Brown Sugar Huat Kueh (steamed brown sugar Chinese cake)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 10 small cakes
330g all purpose flour
70g brown sugar
100ml hot water
1tsp instant active yeast
1. Melt brown sugar and sugar in hot water, set aside and let it turn warm.
2. Mix yeast and flour in a mixing bowl, add in warm sugar mixture (No1).
3. Add in margarine and water, mix well till a sticky dough (don’t knead the dough, just mix well). Set aside to rest for 1hour.
4. Remove dough from the mixing bowl, slightly knead the dough (still quite sticky). Equally divide into 60g ball, place it in a small round tin (do not need to grease) and arrange on a steaming tray.
5. Steam over rapidly boiling water for 15-20mins.
* you may change to other flavours like pandan, colouring, banana or etc...
I also realized that the ingredients use is very similar to a bread recipe, the only difference is this cake is using steaming method instead of baking method....