Japanese Cotton Cheese Cake, the ever-popular cheese cake among bloggers. I did this cake few times but not every time success until Ju (The Little Teochew) sharing her tips & tricks.
I got a perfect and spongy cheese cake. Thanks to Ju for kind sharing.
Here are the tips and tricks from Ju, I followed throughly..
Tip #1 : Beating the egg whites
-Beat high initially and switch to low at last 3-4mins
Tip #2 : Sieving the cream cheese batter
Tip #3 : Baking in a water bath
Tip #5 : Tenting with a foil
Tip #4 : Lining the cake tin
-Make sure the baking paper extends higher than the cake tin by about 1.5 inches.
Tip #6 Drier is better
-I set grill function to brown the top at 180c for 2mins
This is how to leave cool in oven with door ajar...
Please refer to Ju's post for more details...and you may also refer to Heary Bakes's post as her cheese cake also look perfect.
Japanese Cotton Cheese Cake
*makes a 8” round cheese cake
250g Cream Cheese, softened
50g Butter, softened
100ml Fresh Milk
1tbsp Lemon Juice
60g Cake flour
20g Corn flour
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
140g Caster Sugar
1. Preheat oven 160C.
2. Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper. Make sure the baking paper extends higher than the cake tin by about 1.5 inches . Wrap around the outside of baking tin with aluminium foil, to prevent seepage.
3. Place the softened cream cheese, butter and fresh milk in a mixing bowl and stir over double-boiler until melt and mixture is thick and creamy. Remove it from double-boiler to cool.
4. Upon slightly cool, add in the egg yolks, cake flour, corn flour and salt and mix until well combined.
5. Sieve the egg yolk and flour mixture into another clean bowl. Set aside.
6. In another bowl, whip the egg whites in till foamy, add in cream of tartar, continue to whisk. Gradually add in the caster sugar, whisk till soft peaks form.
7. Add one-third of egg whites mixture into the cheese mixture and use whisk to stir well (to loosen the mixture . Continue to fold gently with the balance egg white mixture.
8. Pour the batter onto the prepared pans. Place a sheet of aluminium foil and loosely place it over the tin. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hour 10 mins or until set and golden brown at 160°C.
9. Leave to cool in oven with door ajar, about 30mins to 1 hour. Sudden changes in temperature may cause the cake to cool too quickly and collapse.
*my kids and hubby are not fancy on this cake, only my daughter and I enjoyed this so much, so this is a ladylike cake, hehehe...
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #6, Say Cheese (Apr 2011)..
Also, I would like to share with you for a giveaway, do hop over to I Heart My Bakes to stand a chance to win a cookbook either Okashi treats or 孟老师的100 道面包..closing on 20th Apr, be hurry!!
Happy Baking and Have a nice weekend ahead!!