When this coconut bread was baking inside the oven, my whole kitchen was full of nice coconut aromatic !!
make coconut balls then wrap with bread dough
if you like coconut bread, don't miss to try this out, you will love it!!
Plaited Coconut Bread 椰子面包
(recipe source: adapted from Magic Bread cookbook with minor changes)
100g bread flour
70ml hot boiling water
1. Place flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.
3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour, and up to 48 hours.
To prepare Basic sweet bread dough
1 quantity of gelatinized dough
300g bread flour
100g plain flour
20g milk powder
1 tbsp instant yeast
½ tsp salt
175ml cold water
1 cold egg
60g cold butter, cubed
1. Combine flours, sugar, milk powder, yeast and salt together in a mixing bowl.
2. Tear the gelatinized dough into pieces and add to the bowl along with the eggs
3. Using a stand electric mixer, mix on low speed, adding cold water gradually.
4. Mix until dough is well combined and leave the sides of bowl.
5. Add in the cold butter cubes and mix on medium speed until dough is smooth.
6. Shape dough into a ball, leave to proof for 40mins or until doubled.
To prepare Plaited coconut bread
1 quantity of basic sweet bread dough
1tsp pandan paste (I use homemade pandan paste), optional
A drop of green food colouring
110g desiccated coconut
50g milk powder
1. Cream butter and sugar until light. Add in egg , pandan paste, green colouring, mix well.
2. Add in desiccated coconut and milk powder, combine well. Shape it into balls, weight 35g each and refrigerated till it is firmed.
3. Divide sweet bread dough into 70g each and shape it round. Let rest for another 10mins.
4. Wrap coconut balls into dough, flatten the dough then roll it up like Swiss roll. Place it onto greased pan, make 7-8 cuts by using sharp scissors.
5. Twist the cut section one to left and another to the right, until is done. Let it proof for 45mins.
6. Egg wash and place in the middle shelve of the oven. Bake at 180c for 12-15mins.