When i saw Honey Bee Sweet baked this light cheddar cheesecake, remind me that i have so long did not bake this cake. When i started my blog in 2008, i was totally new in baking, the only cake i know how to bake was plain butter cake..and the 1st cheesecake was this cheddar cheesecake which is a very popular recipe from 星厨房. And i just realized that i have never recorded this recipe in my blog before..So this time, i bake again and have it record in my blog. This is a very good cheesecake recipe, with few common ingredients, you can get a light, cottony, spongy and delish cheesecake..Thanks to Hsling for sharing such a great recipe.
Serve this cheddar cheesecake with chocolate fondue, very tasty wor..this was served in the recent Mid-Autumn BBQ party..
see so spongy and cottony of this cheddar cheesecake !!
My little tips to make a succes of this cheesecake:-
1. Beat egg white till stiff or at least close to stiff stage. Because we are using a cake pan that without any tube or insert at the middle (like chiffon pan)..
2. Bake at low temperature at lower rack, we do not want the cake rise too fast or too high and resulted cake deflated later. This cake will shrink a bit and go back to the same level of batter before baking, this is normal for a sponge cake.
Light cheddar cheesecake** I will be away for a family vacation the next whole week. I have prepared daily scheduled post about my recent Kyoto and Osaka trip..feel free to check it out later..Take good care and see you all soon..
(recipe source: adapted from Hsling, with minor changes on the step of preparing)
*makes a 8x8 square pan
6 slices of cheddar cheese (~20g per slice)
100g fresh milk
100g unsalted butter
6 egg yolks (large)
6 egg whites (large), cold from fridge
100g caster sugar
100g cake flour
1. Place butter and tear up cheddar cheese slices in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, take a spatula and stir to melt, then add in milk and stir until all melted and mixed together. Set aside to cool slightly before use.
2. Lightly whisk the egg yolks in another mixing bowl. Ladle big spoonful of the cheese mixture into the egg yolks. Mix well and then add in the rest and combine well.
3. Sift in the cake flour into the egg yolk mixture and make sure no lumps.
4. Preheat the oven to 150C with a steam bake (I place 5 small bowls water underneath). Grease and line (bottom and sides) the baking pan
5. In another mixing bowl, beat egg white till foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat till stiff peaks or at least close to stiff.
6. Use a whisk, mix 1/3 of egg white mixture with cheese mixture, mix to combine and till light.
7. Gently fold in the balance egg white mixture with a spatula, mix well.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the surface.
9. Bake the cake in the oven for 60 minutes at lower rack or till the tester comes out clean.
10. Let cake sit inside the oven for 5mins with oven door ajar. Remove from oven, immediately remove cake from cake pan, cool on wire rack.