If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, October 8, 2012

Jelly Layer Cake


Finally , i have finished re-arrange all labels of my existing posts and created a new recipe index page (Thanks to Wendy for her guidance). When i see this recipe gallery in this new page, i just realized that i have cooked and baked so many foods, like a recipe map!! Feel free to have a look on my new recipe index (on the top page) and try to click here and there (give comment if any), Xie Xie , Terimakasih and Thank you..

Last two weeks i made two Birthday cakes for my niece and nephew, one was Tiramisu cake for Birthday boy, another was this Jelly Cake for Birthday girl. I got this idea from Eileen's blog.

IMG_8363

I was not sure why the recipe need to add instant jelly powder, quickly made a call to Angie (the owner of the jelly recipe). She was so kind explained to me why we need to add this extra instant jelly powder, as to prevent jelly from deteriorate quickly ( water comes out from jelly )


IMG_8285

IMG_8318

IMG_8321

I got the idea from Japanese drama "Midnight Canteen" on how to decorate this cake, it look simple and elegant for me. But my sister complainted why nothing at the sides of the cake and look so plain, hahaha..And she also said the cream look so untidy, i know i still have to improve my frosting skill.

IMG_8332 copy


Jelly Layer Cake
(recipe source: jelly recipe adapted from Angie My Mum's Cake house)
*makes a 7” round cake

To make jelly layer

975ml water
IMG_8359 135g sugar
10g agar-agar powder
1tsp instant jelly powder
100g fresh strawberry, small cubes
A drop of red food colouring

Method

1. Mix water, sugar, agar-agar powder and instant jelly powder in a saucepan, stir well.
2. Cook over medium heat till sugar dissolved.
3. Pour the jelly liquid into a 35.5cm x 28cm (11”x14”) square pan.
4. Sprinkle strawberry cubes and add a drop for red colouring into the jelly liquid.
5. Set aside to cool and set.
6. Cut out two 7” round jelly layer.

To make plain sponge cake

One 7” plain sponge cake, refer recipe here, slice into 3 equal pieces

200g non-dairy whipping cream, for frosting, follow to steps here to whip the cream


150g fresh strawberry, for decorating


To assemble the cake

1. Place one piece of sponge cake on a cake disc (at a revolving decorating cake stand for easy frosting)
2. Spread evenly a thin layer of whipped cream, top with a jelly layer.
3. To continue spread evenly a thin layer of whipped cream, place second piece of sponge, spread evenly a layer of whipped cream, top with jelly layer.
4. Top with last piece of sponge cake, frost the whole cake with whipped cream.
5. Decorate with strawberry or your own choice of decoration.
My sister sent me this photo (taken using her phone), have a look the inside of this cake..
IMG_1847

57 comments:

cikmanggis said...

sedapnya Sonia..dapat bayangkan:) dan kek yang Sonia hias ni sama seperti yang di jual di kedai...Cm selalu gagal untuk menghias kek..

Tracy Low said...

那些一层一层的Jelly很漂亮,很可口哦!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

You have a demanding sister who will push you to do a better & better job in the future, haha! If my hubby complains to me, I will make him to eat more, hahaha~ This is a good idea for a cake. Very refreshing!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Typical Jap strawberry shortcake look like this. I find it simple and elegant.

The layering is very neat.

Mel said...

Wow it is a gorgeous cake though with just simple decor. Frankly speaking it is my first time seeing a jelly cake; I mean having the agar agar in between layers of cake. Bet it must be yummy and with bites of refreshing jellies in the mouth. About the recipe index; I really had a hard time doing it in my blog and still can't figure out how to go about it till I give up. :-)

CQUEK said...

I will definitely need to try this, it looks amazing and I think the flavour balance must be amazing.

Small Kucing said...

there is one more type of jelly cake where the jelly is on top.

Prema said...

wow truly delicious,luks yum...

Siew Hwei said...

LIKE...:)

Baby Sumo said...

Sonia, your frosting skill is good la. Wait til your sister sees mine.. sure she laugh until kekeke.

Li Shuan said...

You have been baking a lot of badly cake lately. Sudah handal bikin bday cake...hehe... I'm so busy lately, can't really concentrate in my kitchen.

When are u going to own a bakery shop huh?

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

Hi sonia, it looks yummyyy..

Casey said...

Very pretty jelly layer cake, I wish I can try it out one day, hihi!

Sweet Baby Shop said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
daphne said...

that looks amazing!! I love the layers- wonder how the texture tastes like. MUST be fabulous with the sponge, and jelly.. and surprise strawberries! NICE.

Liza said...

perghhhh, sedapnya kek ni Sonia....kreatif sgt...

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

蛋糕很高贵
我希望有机会吃到:)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

beautifully prepared cake looking yumoo:)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wow, really interesting! I would never have thought of using jelly as a layering in a cake. :)) very pretty and creative! Bet the kids love it too much! :))

ann low said...

Your layering cake looks very pretty! Can I have a slice?

Unknown said...

For me that birthday jelly layered cake is very impressive...i like it.

Unknown said...

Sonia, thanks for your advice from your basic sponge cake. But I didn't try it. I scared I would fail to mix the egg white portion. Phai seh. but I will take the challenge to bake like yours in no time.

VineelaSiva said...

Wow jelly layered cake love the idea.Its simple and looks very inviting.

Cheah said...

Your layered cake looks yummy and shows you've put in a lot of effort to make this.

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

Your cake looks really fantastic! Great work!

Chris said...

The cake looks beautiful, Sonia - I agree, it does look simple but elegant. :D

Somewhere in Singapore said...

The cake is so nice...

divya said...

woah! drool drool! what a lovely cake!

Yummy Bakes said...

Your cake is beautifully decorated.

Angelic Heart~ said...

this is a good idea to sandwiched jelly in between the cake, thought usually the jelly is at the top of cake.

mui mui said...

Hi Sonia,
Your cake layering is so neatly done.Like the strawberries, they look so fresh. I bet your cake is very delish!!

There is a type of plastic side liner for side decoration. It comes with very pretty pictures and decoration, i sometimes use that. It is quite convinience to use and nice. Would like to share with you here:
http://my123favourites.blogspot.com/2012/05/soursop-mousse-cake.html

Elaine said...

Your cake looks wonderful! Jelly layers tends to make me "shake" but will try your recipe sure.

Small Small Baker said...

I love the jelly layer in your cake! And your new recipe index is so amazing! Can see everything in one page! You teach me how leh? :)

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
Nice!!!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mel and SSM, drop me an email if you like to learn how to create this page..

WendyinKK said...

I didn't do much la except to direct u to the widget's source.
Anyway, thanks for mentioning me, very kind of you. hehehe.

Ur cake looks good la.

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , your cake looks very pretty and I'm sure it must taste awesome as well ! :D

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Truly enjoyed seeing your recipe index and I have one word: you are a really amazing home cook. Honestly you can do way more than just being a home cook, Sonia! You continue to inspire a lot of home cook like me. So fun to browse around. And this cake, my gosh, jelly layer? I've never heard of it and it looks AMAZING!!!

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

This cake is simple and elegant from the outside but so surprisingly fun with jelly on the inside! The texture must be great, imagine the feeling when biting into the soft and sweet filling :)

Tracy Low said...

我怕你没有看到我的留言,所以在这里回复你。那些小玻璃杯子上在我家哪里的烘培店买的,有需要的话,我可以帮你购买。联络我吧!tracylow11111@hotmail.com

Little Corner of Mine said...

This is such an interesting pairing, I am trying to imagine how it tastes like. Your frosting looks absolutely fine to me. :)

Gloria Baker said...

oh Sonia look absolutely beautiful!!

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, I like the simple frosting, it's neat and clean!

PH said...

This cake is so pretty! I like your frosting, don't look messy to me. Cantik! Cantik!

Unknown said...

This cake looks absolutely light and fluffy and refreshing especially with the layers of strawberry jelly. Your niece and nephew are seriously lucky to have an aunt like you who cooks and bakes so well, makes me a little envious. hehe *just kidding*. Have a great week ahead Sonia! Cheers~

Bakericious said...

Sonia, the cake layers really looks so nice and delicious, must try it next time!

Mich PIece of Cake said...

Love your new recipe index, very nicely done up! This cake is so interesting. Never had jelly on top of cake (except for a cheese cheese)... and didn't know it can even be done!

lena said...

sonia, yes, it's simple and yet elegant! reminds me of those thailand layer cake which also comes with sponge base and a layer of jelly!

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia,I've tried to cut the cake into 2 slices but at the end the cakes become unevent. Is there any idea to solve this? And regarding the whipping cream I applied onto the cake doesn't seem like as smooth as yours, do you mind to share some experience? Thanks

Sem said...

Hi, Sonia,
now i see your pantry, very informative and good reference.
Now i know the difference- "oh tau yu" and "tau yu", sigh, i married to a Hokkien family for nearly a decade but still couldnt pick up much Hokkien dialect...

Anonymous said...

wow Sonia!! Your cake is so beautiful!! Your frosting is pretty neat too!! great job!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Loh Emily, you can slice cake using a special tool- cake divider..you may refer to my previous post as i share the steps of how to prepared whipped cream.

Anonymous said...

hi, im gen. been following your blog for your cake recipes - love them!

May i ask, whats the difference between agar-agar powder and instant jelly powder? i thought they are the same?

thanks =)

Adrine said...

Hi Sonia, I stumbled upon your post when I was thinking of what cake to bake for my mum's birthday. I was sold when I saw the inside of the cake!

I made it last weekend and it was a hit with the family. But there was one big boo boo for me - the bottom tier of the cake slid out during tranportation. I think cos the jelly was too slippery. Did you "scratch" the jelly so that the layers will stick?

Thx for sharing this wonderful recipe. :)

Joavnne said...

Hi, can I replace the instant jelly powder with gelatin?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Adrine, no I did not scratch the jelly but I spread every layer with cream.

Joavnne, no Don't replace with gelatine, as gelatine will give you difference texture , totally difference from jelly .

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia

Would like to check with you, is Bake King Instant Top Jelly the same as instant jelly?

Thanks for sharing the wonderful cake recipe =).

Crystal

Blog Widget by LinkWithin