If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, October 5, 2012

Fried Burdock Root (Gobo) 炸牛蒡

The other day when i cooked Tonjiru (Japanese Pork Miso Soup) 豬肉味噌湯, i can't finished the whole Burdock root (Gobo).  So I use the leftover to deep fry, it was so crunchy and sweet after deep fried.


IMG_8095 copy


This remind me the  Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾that i made during last Chinese New Year..but this fried burdock root is more crunchy than Wu Har,this give me an idea to use Burdock root to replace with Yam when i prepare Wu Har next time.

IMG_8102


IMG_8110 copy

Japanese Shichimi Togarashi 七味唐辛子(辣椒粉)


IMG_0113


 Fried Burdock Root (Gobo) 炸牛蒡
(recipe source : adapted from Carol’s cookbook 自在生活)

300g Burdock root
IMG_8098 copy 2tbsp plain flour
1tbsp tapioca flour

Seasonings
Salt pepper
Japanese Shichimi Togarashi 七味唐辛子(辣椒粉)

Method
1. Shred burdock root with a peeler ( can peel with skin on, your choice), soak in vinegar water to prevent color changed (optional). Drain and pat dry.
2. Mix plain flour and tapioca flour with shredded burdock root, mix well.
3. Heat oil in a wok over medium low, deep fry shredded burdock root till golden brown (deep fry small batch at one time), drain on paper towels.
4. Sprinkle seasonings on the fried burdock root. Store in air-tight container if can not finished the same day.

34 comments:

Mel said...

Oh Sonia, this is so interesting! I only know to use burdock to boiled soup. I'm gonna loves this.... as I like chips!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个对我来说很新鲜
特别哟:)

Ana Regalado said...

I Googled burdock to be sure ! lol I've seen this at the market , of course , but haven't tried it yet :P That chips look appetizing and flavorful ! :D

makcikmanggis said...

oh kobo root boleh masak seperti ini ya....satu idea yang bagus ni..terima kasih Sonia:)

divya said...

superb yaa....irresistible..yummy

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

Wa, never knew gobo can be deep fried. Good idea to use leftover gobo, i see you usemquite a bit of gobo, i heard it is a very nutritious veg.

Artsylicious said...

wonder how does it taste.... can i have some please?

sabrina 莎莎 said...

wow~~ Sonia~~
新鲜的小吃!!=)
偷去夜市卖可以赚钱了!!
哇哈哈哈!!!

zila norazila said...

hi sonia
special chips..krukk..krukkk sound:)yummy.

lena said...

such a fresh idea!! interesting!

WendyinKK said...

Easier to manage too if use this in place of taro for wooha, at least hands won't be itchy.
Good idea!

Nadji said...

Une découverte pour moi. Je ne connaissais pas du tout.
A bientôt

Angelic Heart~ said...

this is something special and creative. never thought the burdock root can be tranformed to snack.

ann low said...

I've not deep fried anything for a long time but I definitely love to try this... looks so yummy :)

yvonne said...

Ooo~~ This is such a great and simple idea!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PH said...

That's a very nice crunchy snack. I like!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

I've never thought of frying burdock... what a great idea and looks so nice and crispy!

QembarDelites said...

Never eaten burdock before, always thought it's only for soup, this crispy version of yours looks delicious!

Li Shuan said...

Oh this is new to me...never have this b4. It looks like something tidbits that go well with beer.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

looks crispy and tasty Sonia:)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan
Taste of Saras Kitchen
http://tasteofsaraskitchen.blogspot.com

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am not a big fan of fried stuff but I know my Quay Lo will love these.

CQUEK said...

I wouldn't mind getting one as they are simply gorgeous and looks delicious.

lclim said...

Hi Sonia,
This sound interesting. May i ask what is japanese shichimi togarashi. Thanks and have a nice weekend

mui mui said...

Hi Sonia,
Oishii!! very yummy chips.
Burdock is also nice to make into tempura.
mui..^^

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Something new to me...

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, it look good, nice and crispy.

P/S I'd posted the step by step pandan roses, you can check it out.

Have a nice weekend

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia, I think living in Stdney is quite good as these days,we can get fresh burdock, lotus roots,San Yao,arrowroot quite easily from the Asian stores.I love all these deep fried stuffs but now have to avoid them for my colon infection issue

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

lclim, i will take a photo to show you, please check later.

Sweet Baby Shop said...

Lotus root yes but burdock root? I will google..

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love fried gobo too! It's a great snack with beer... Um, I don't drink beer but that's what people say. :)

饱满人生。。。 said...

Hi Sonia, thanks for sharing. Another new dish learn ^_^

Nate @ House of Annie said...

I had it the other night at Isaki in Sri Hartamas. Very addictive!

Colorful Canary said...

Thanks so much for the Burdock recipe, I featured it on today's recipe round-up: http://www.colorfulcanary.com/2016/08/11-badass-burdock-root-recipes-gobo.html

Blog Widget by LinkWithin