If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾, an award



I made this Wu Har before Chinese New Year Eve. Thinking not to post it since CNY already over. Anyway, I still post it here for a record and also not to waste my effort taken so many pictures ^_^




Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾



I have never eaten this taro ball before until i saw in Wendy's blog, and later I also saw in Lily's blog. After watched the Hong Kong video which they provided and I tell myself i have to try this..


Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾


We really impressed with this Wu Har, very cripsy and fragrant especially the good smell from coriander..

Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾



If you know Cantonese, you have to watch this Hong Kong video, it is very useful. And i followed the Hongkies way of shred the taro, which is slice with a knife and shred with a peeler. And i find this way is fast and easy.
For those uneven size of taro, i did not throw it away, still try to shred and fry it, and it still taste good. My personal opinion, do not shred taro too thin, about 2-3mm is the best, like the Hongkies way.

Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾



I followed to Lily's seasoning method which added extra salt and sugar, more taste indeed..And Chinese coriander is a must in this recipe, it is so fragrant after fried..


Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾
Recipe source: Recipe adapted from Wendy (Table for 2 or more ) and Lily’s Wai Sek Hong , and video

250gm taro shreds

Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾2 Tbsp glutinous rice flour
½ tsp chicken stock powder
1/8tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
Dash of pepper
1/4tsp salt
1/2tsp sugar

2 Tbsp sesame seeds

Chinese coriander, washed and air dried (must have)

Method
1. Slice taro with a knife into 2-3mm thickness, then shred with a peeler.
2. Mix the seasonings together, then toss it into the weighed taro shreds. When it turns slightly sticky, put in the sesame seeds and toss it around to stick well.
3. Heat up cooking oil over low medium heat, roll up taro with coriander into small ball.
4. Put the shaped taro shreds into a heated wire ladle and deep fry.
5. Release from ladle and fry until both sides are golden and drain on paper towels.
6. When Wu Har has cooled, place each Wu Har on a paper liner and keep in air tight container.

Note: If you want to double this recipe, then you need to do it by two batches as taro get too sticky after seasoned and will clump together


Wu Har (Crispy Taro ball) 港式芋虾



I place the Wu Har in paper cup which can easily absorb the extra oil. I find the Wu Har lost crispyness after stored it 2 days in a Tupperware container, maybe next time i should try to store it in a Milo tin.




Thank you to these ladies who given me this lovely award, appreciate much!

Yummy Bakes
Away of mind
Myme

36 comments:

Ana Regalado said...

Coriander is always a must have for me hahahaha Love the gorgeous taro balls , Sonia ! Will check that Hongkong vid later ;D Yummy photos as always !

Sherleen.T said...

i have never eaten this snack before...they look so nice :)

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Looks yummy.I still have 2 big taros. Will consider to do this dish.

cikmanggis said...

cantik:) Cm pun buat juga tapi semasa menggorengnya minyak terlampau panas jadi colournya agak gelap.

WendyinKK said...

Oh yes, tupperware tak boleh la for keeping this.
Must use those Milo or Milk cans.
The first batch, I tried adding 1/4 tsp salt too, but found it salty. After that, all subsequent batches no more salt. Maybe our brand of chicken stock powder is different.
Maybe I used more 5-spice powder, and w/o it, it tasted bland. But your method of using sugar to counter the reduced amount of 5-spice is good. Taro on its own is rather bland.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个肯定很好吃
我爱死了
有机会一定做:)

ann low said...

These are so lovely tim sum. Thanks for sharing :)

kitchen flavours said...

Wah! This looks so yummy! Very "dangerous-lah" if served in front of me, it will all disappear in a flash! :) Have a lovely weekend!

Li Shuan said...

Great recipe! I have never seen this snack before..I can tell it must taste good by the look at it. Too much work on peeling the taro .."sian" !!hehe!

Anonymous said...

I was searching for prawns in the recipe and the HK video, finally then I realised actually no prawn was used at all!

*faint* Wonder why they name the recipe as 芋虾.

This recipe goes to my Must Do List after seeing 芋虾 for the third time this year. haha..

Thanks!

Regards,
Lynn

Small Kucing said...

yummy ...but am rather lazy to fry kakaka

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

It's never be too late to post! Love this dish. Thanks for sharing.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

nice snack but too much work to prepare, hahaha!

oh ya, the red ang pau background seems familiar, yeah yeah, from maybank ya, hahaha!

p/s: i'm maybanker le, hi hi hi

vrinda said...

Sounds like a gr8 appetizer,looks fab

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good but quite a lot of work. Will watch the video. :)

ping said...

These look delicious! And so neatly presented. I guess I can't avoid deep frying if I'm going to make this :)

Gloria Baker said...

these look absolutely nice!

Angie's Recipes said...

Crunchy and delicious!

Pushpa said...

They look delicious and congrats on the award.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

this is just awesome...droooooooooling here..;P
Tasty Appetite

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

They look so delicious and very suitable to serve at parties, will keep this recipe safe, thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Lovely little snacks , great for parties.

lena said...

not sure if i have the patience to make this or not..but always enjoy eating these!

ICook4Fun said...

They look really nice and crispy. I am planning to make this lovely snack too once I get myself a few of that wire ladle.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

This looks so tempting, but too lazy to make it...

Quay Po Cooks said...

This involves a lot of work. Not for lazy people like Lucy! I wait for next year CNY and taste yours. Hint! Hint!

傻婆 said...

幸好你最后决定post,那我们才知道有这么好吃的东西,谢谢分享!好喜欢读你的blog!

Edith said...

This is my childhood snack during CNY. I wonder how my late granny done it that still crispy after many days. such a pity that I will never be able to find an answer from her.

divya said...

looks super yummy & inviting..;)

Winnieliu said...

So special this dish & look nice....^_^

choi yen said...

wonder why it called wu har since there is no prawn in the recipe O.O"

Noob Cook said...

glad you posted it. looks great and can be enjoyed anytime.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Taro balls sound amazing! I love taro and we eat often too. It's a great idea to wear gloves. I had never thought of that because it gets slippery and gloves are the best solution! This looks yummy - deep fry and taro sounds perfect to me!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I thought there's shrimp inside, looks like I was wrong.. hahaha

Jackson said...

yummy ...but am rather lazy to fry kakaka

Blog Widget by LinkWithin