When i was trying to figure out what to present to Tin Kong (Pai Tin Kong is a big celebration for Hokkien peoples), then i saw Anncoo Journal's Koi Fish Jelly, immediate i decided to make Koi Fish Jelly since i have two moulds given by Ann last time. My mother was so happy to see this Koi Fish Jelly.
These are all items that my mom presented to "Tin Kong"
These two Koi Fish jelly moulds was given by Ann. Thanks to Ann again for this lovely mould. She also sharing very detail steps on how to make this jelly, check out her link here.
I also bake a marble Bundt cake..
I use the balance agar agar mixture made into two flowers jelly using mooncake mould.
Koi Fish Jelly compare with the real Koi fish in the pool..
Koi Fish Jelly
(recipe source: adapted from Anncoo Journal)
*makes 12 Koi fish and 2 mooncake size
150ml Fresh milk
9g Agar agar powder
3 Pandan leaves
12 Black currants
2 Fish molds
1. Using scissors to cut black currants into half and roll into tiny nibs with your finger tips as fish eyes. Tie pandan leaves into a small knot.
2. Mix water, sugar, agar agar powder in a pot, stir to mix well. Boil with pandan leaves, keep stirring water until boil at medium heat. Off heat and stir agar agar liquid for another 2-3 minutes. Discard pandan leaves.
3. Put agar agar liquid under double boiler or at low heat to prevent agar agar liquid set quickly. ~ stir occasionally.
4. Using a tweezers and dip black currant into agar agar liquid then place black currant on the fish mold eyes. It will sticks quickly. (I use chopsticks)
5. Take 2 tsp of agar agar liquid into a sauce plate and add a drop of coloring into it (any color you prefer) and mix well. (I used 2 colors ~ cherry red and lemon yellow)
6. Using the back of the teaspoon，smear the colored liquid quickly on fish mold body ~ mix any color you like. (if the colored liquid has set, add a little hot agar agar liquid to dilute it- this way was not worked for me, next time I will make 1tsp at a time as the agar agar set too quickly and could not dilute even I added hot agar-agar).
7. After the colored liquid set on the fish mold, reboil the plain agar agar liquid. Off heat and pour fresh milk into it and stir for another 2-3 minutes and gently pour it into molds (cool down the liquid if it is too hot).
8. Chill agar agar Koi fish in fridge for at least 2-3 hours or overnight before removing from the fish mold.
My 1st time seeing this beautiful Chinese chive's flowers in the chive plant that planted by my mom.