Yesterday i was reading through the Bourke street bakery book-the ultimate baking companion ( Christmas gift from my two lovely blogger friends Jane and Helena) and try to understand the tedious steps on how to make my own bread starter, also admiring the beautiful croissant in the book. After i spent quite some time and i still don't quite understand how to make the starter ^_^, so i gave it up and continue flipping thru the book and this chicken and bacon rolls was caught my attention. So i decided to make this for today lunch.
The original recipe call to prepare own puff pastry, but i use the store-bought puff pastry since i have one packet in the freezer for longer time. Anyway, next time i must try to make my own puff pastry.
This roll is really yummy, crispy skin and nice savoury filling, you have to try this!
Chicken and Bacon puff rolls
(recipe source: Largely adapted from Bourke Street Bakery book-the ultimate baking companion)
*makes 8 rolls
50g bacon, chopped (or replace with chicken ham)
1 big onion, chopped
2 garlic, chopped
250g minced chicken
10g bread crumbs
1/2tsp salt or to taste
A dash of white pepper
some chopped spring onion
8 sheets of store-bought puff pastry , 4”x4”
Egg wash (mix 1 egg with 1tbsp milk and a pinch of salt)
Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
1. Pre-heated oven to 200c.
2. Heat up 1tbsp olive oil in a pan, sauté garlic and onion till aroma.
3. Add in bacon, continue stir till brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
4. Mix minced chicken, bacon mixture, bread crumbs, chopped spring onion, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Blend and stir the mixture in one direction until the meat becomes gluey.
5. Slightly roll store-bought puff pastry to 4”x4”, place some filling on the pastry, firmly fold the pastry over, pressing to enclose the roll tightly.
6. Place on the tray, seam side down, brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 190c and bake for 30mins or until golden brown.