Yesterday i went to do my regular PS check, the lady doctor told me baking is a bad hobby (because my blood pressure was slightly high and my weight never gone down ^_^), i was quite upset and no mood to update any post yesterday. Anyway, i am ok today, because i still continue to bake bread now. My life will not have fun if i am not doing any baking, hehehe..
Last week i made another two Birthday cakes for my niece and nephew. One of them is Tiramisu Cake which i was inspired by Phong Hong Bakes and the recipe in a magazine that i have bookmarked for a longer time.
This Tiramisu cake tasted awesome with this caramelised almonds..my sister told me this caramelised almonds is a bit too sweet and too much on the cake. But for me, they are ok...
Is quite tiring to crush the caramelised almonds
You can see the first layer is pale if compare to the rest, because i was totally forgotten to add the coffee syrup and chocolate shaved while assembling the 1st layer of cake..I blamed to mooncake, because I was busy doing mooncake at the same time too, hahaha..
Try not to omit the strawberry sauce, you will be surprise the taste when you eating this cake with the strawberry sauce..Also i omitted raw egg yolks in cream cheese filling instead i add gelatine ..
(recipe souce: Inspired by Phong Hong Bakes with my own twist )
One 7” plain sponge cake, refer recipe here
Cream cheese filling
250g cream cheese
200g whipping cream or heavy cream
1tbsp gelatin powder
90g icing sugar, sifted
1. Sprinkle gelatin over the water in a bowl, stand the bowl over a pan of simmering hot water till dissolved and clear liquid.
2. Beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Using the same mixer, beat whipping cream till soft peak.
3. Fold in whipped whipping cream and gelatine into cream cheese mixture, mix till smooth.
80ml expresso (chilled)
1. Mix chilled espresso with Kahlua in a small mixing bowl, set aside
120g almond, toasted (170c for around 5-7mins)
1. Line a non-stick baking paper on a flat tray.
2. Place sugar in a small, heavy bottom saucepan set over low heat.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar melts and turns a golden brown.
4. Add almonds, stir to coat all evenly. Remove from heat and tip onto prepared tray.
5. Leave to cool and set before crushing almonds.
6. Store in air-tight container jar until ready to use.
100g fresh strawberry, chopped small
1. Combine water and strawberry in a heavy bottom pot to a boil.
2. Add sugar and simmer until pulpy and thickened, stir from time to time and take about 5-7mins.
3. Taste, you may want to add more sugar.
170g whipping cream, whipped
80g chocolate, thinly shaved
To assemble Tiramisu cake
1. Slice the sponge cake into 3 even layers.
2. Place on layer into a 7” removable bottom pan and drizzle with half of coffee syrup. Top with half of cream cheese filling. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
3. Top with the second layer of sponge, drizzle with balance coffee syrup. Top with balance of cream cheese filling. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
4. Top the last layer of sponge cake, cling wrap the pan, refrigerate overnight to allow cake to set.
5. The next day, remove cake from refrigerator. Place on a round board.
6. Spread whipped cream onto the top and sides of cake evenly and cover with the crushed, caramelized almonds.
7. Slice and serve chilled with strawberry sauce on the side.