Last month i did not make a Birthday cake for myself because I celebrated my Birthday in the flight when we returning from Melbourne..But I still think a Birthday must have a Birthday cake..Yesterday I purposely made this Strawberry mousse cake for myself..also i want to practise first because i am planning to make the same cake for my sister's coming Birthday.
These pictures were taken with all decorative items that i bought from Melbourne, a gorgeous Donna Hay cake stand, tea towel from Royal Albert (only able to buy tea towel as the tea set is very pricey) and Pashmak Persian fairy floss 波斯棉花糖 (bought it at Queen Victoria Market).
I like this simple way of making sponge cake disc, don't need to cut and slice !!
The original recipe suggested to add Brandy but i replaced with Grand Marnier, so aromatic !
I bet my sister will like this cake too !!
Strawberry Mousse Cake
(recipe source :adapted from meishilife cookbook with minor changes)
*makes a 7” round mousse cake
For the strawberry jelly
110g fresh strawberry, sliced
1/2tsp Grand Marnier, optional
2tsp powdered gelatin
100g fresh strawberry, for decorating
1. Add 2tbsp water with gelatin, set aside to bloom.
2. Add strawberry slices, water and sugar in a saucepan, cook and simmer till soften.
3. Blend strawberry mixture and strain the puree.
4. Melted gelatin over simmering water, pour into strawberry puree and add Grand Marnier, mix well.
5. Take 6” removable base pan and wrap foil underneath. Pour in strawberry mixture, place in fresh strawberry slices (try to cut the same height as per the liquid) , refrigerated for 1hour or till set.
For the sponge cake
2 egg yolks
60g cake flour
2 egg whites
1. Lightly beat egg yolk with sugar, add in cake flour and milk, combine well, set aside.
2. Beat egg white and sugar till soft peak form.
3. Fold in egg white into egg yolk mixture, fold well to combine.
4. Pipe the batter on a pan lined with non-stick baking paper, one with 6” round and another with 7” round.
5. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 210C for 6-8mins.
6. Once done, set aside to cool.
To make mousse
200g heavy cream
1 egg yolk
4tsp powdered gelatin
1. Add water with gelatin, set aside to bloom.
2. Cook egg yolk and milk till combined. Melted gelatin over simmering water, pour into egg yolk mixure and mix well. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Beat cream with sugar till soft peak form (place over a bowl of ice water).
4. Add gelatin mixture into cream and combine well.
To assemble the Strawberry Mousse Cake
25g dried cranberry, to soften by soaked it with Grand Marnier (or water), chopped
1. Remove strawberry jelly and place at the center of a 7” removable base pan.
2. Pour in half of the mousse, and place a piece of 6” sponge cake at the center.
3. Sprinkle cranberry on top of the cake, cover with the balance half of the mouse.
4. Last, place a piece of 7” sponge cake. Refrigerated for 4hours or overnight or till set.
5. Remove cake from the fridge, take a hair dryer to warm the pan for 1-2mins, remove the pan and upside down the cake. Serve cool and enjoy!
I will be submitting this post to to Aspiring Bakers #18: Layers of Love (April 2012), my “Layered Cake” hosted by Sam of Sweet Samsations