If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pandan Chiffon 香兰戚风

My pandan plants grow wildly at the backyard, look very messy, so i cut off few plants and use the leaves to make pandan paste. Later i use this pandan paste to make this pandan chiffon. Nowadays i stop buying artificial pandan paste but prefer to use homemade pandan paste, love the light jade green colour and very nice pandan aroma..




IMG_4134 copy

Homemade pandan paste- very easy to make, cut pandan leaves (suggest to use old leaves) as thin as possible using a scissor. Blend it with water, pour it into fine strainer and squeeze the juices.  Pour pandan juices into a glass jar and store in the fridge for few days. Discard the upper layer of water (try not to add in any baking, taste bitter) and only use the thick paste which sink at the bottom (The more pandan leaves use to make the juices, the faster the pandan paste sink to the bottom).

IMG_4144 copy

Recently i just bought another new chiffon pan, it is a Japanese type of chiffon pan which is without the metal legs..So I have to invert this way..

IMG_4062 copy

This time, i bake with two Japanese chiffon pan, they are cute right? ^_^

IMG_4067

IMG_4082 copy

IMG_4073 copy


IMG_4093 copy

Actually i wanted to make 烫面戚风 from Jane's corner but i was in rush, so i just bake a normal chiffon..But this chiffon still turned out very soft, moist and nice aroma.

Pandan Chiffon 香兰戚风
( recipe source:Inspired by Jane’s corner with alteration)
*makes 2 x 6” chiffon pan

5 egg yolks

20g sugar
60g water + 20g homemade pandan paste
80g corn oil
125g cake flour

5 egg whites

90g sugar
1/2tsp lemon juices or 1/2tsp cream of Tartar

Method

1. Lightly whisk egg yolks and sugar till combined.
2. Add in water, homemade pandan paste and corn oil, mix well.
3. Add in cake flour, stir and fold till well combine.
4. Whisk egg whites and lemon juices till foamy, slowly add in sugar and continue beat until soft peak formed.
5. Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
6. Fold in 2/3 or meringue and use a spatula, fold with egg yolk batter till combined.
7. Pour into chiffon tins, bake at pre-heated oven at 160c (fan-forced) for 40-45mins.
8. Once baked, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.


IMG_4128 copy

63 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

来了,来吃你香香的7风了:)

Karen said...

very pretty chiffon, must be full of pandan aroma...i been long time didn't make this, must make this one day, my mum's favorite..hehe..:)

Mandy said...

pandan戚风我最爱了,我也来分一份。。嘻嘻!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

i want a piece too :)

Mel said...

I thought I could smell the pandan aroma even looking at the photos. Pandan chiffon, everyone's favourite!!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

since u have 2, sure enough to share share ya

Joceline Lor said...

Yummy!! Yummy!!

Sally said...

pandan蛋糕我也爱。。
嘻嘻!我已好久没做了,懒惰搅pandan汁。。。

Little blue said...

Love the heart shape chiffon, can I a bite?! Hehe...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Can i have a piece? lol

irene myme said...

ohh...I love this!! Share with me, please!!! kakaka~~

Casey said...

被班兰香味给引进来了,我也要一片,嘻嘻!

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, your chiffon cake look so cottony soft. Lovely natural green color. Thanks for sharing the homemade pandan paste.

Have a nice day.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, so lovely and nice. Can imagine the nice aroma of pandan and healthy without the coconut milk.

Mich Piece of Cake said...

I love the natural pandan flavour in your chiffon cake. And that heart shaped pan is so cute!

bernice's kitchen said...

pandan chiffon怎么也吃不腻,大大喜欢 ^^

Ling yuen chin said...

I want, I want!!!

PH said...

So pretty and cute! I also want to make my own pandan paste. Your cake colour is very good :)

Amie said...

So cute!Tumpang makan sepotong ye Sonia... jangan lupa minumannya sekali.... sedapnya kek chiffon!

CQUEK said...

These look so delicious

Siew Hwei said...

Pretty... :)

zila norazila said...

hi sonia,
i like tht mould..love2..:)good touch la..

Crystal Loh said...

Sonia、香喷喷的班兰香,我嗅到了。好最欢最后一张照片,高高再上的7风蛋糕,是否已经把它(日式7风模)败回来了。剪成小小片V型班兰叶点缀得真好看,好欢喜噢!。。是的,上次你问我的问题,我在这儿回复你。
我照相的时候其实也没什么特别的,嘻!都喜欢靠在地上旁边的落地玻璃门,阳光不需要太亮。。就是自己在捉摸,因为一时,不同时间光度都在变;)所以从来不在晚上照相。。记得之前搬进来这家,好辛苦咯!蛋糕都搬上又搬下,家里每个角落都在寻找适合我要的地方。。哈哈!最后幸好找到了:)是不是有点夸张傻傻D。。
这就是我的小分享。我喜欢看照片,你家照片是其中之一;)

Anonymous said...

Nice Chiffon, Sonia!

U are so lucky to have fresh pandan leaves in your garden. Wish I had one too, the pre-cut one from the grocery is not fragrant as the fresh one.


Jamie

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , both are beautiful and looks really delicious ! You know , a slice of that in one of the bakery here cost HK $14 :P I told myself , maybe it's time to buy a chiffon mould ?! lol

Veronica's Kitchen said...

Love your pandan chiffon cake.
they look cottony soft.

divya said...

wow mouthwatering....

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Looks lovely & flavorful! :)

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Pretty chiffon cake and ur photos are getting more and more pro. Thumb up!

珊珊 said...

两粒蛋糕脱模都很美呢!!
看出来蛋糕好软。。。。颜色也很美。。。好喜欢!!
我家的pandan叶也快变成小森林了。。。是时候收拾收拾一下了。。。

Sem said...

now i understand why my pandan layer cake or agar agar taste bitter sometimes, as i preserve the water to make all these cakes and delicacy.

Yummy Bakes said...

I can smell the sweet aroma of pandan. I love the heart shape - its pretty and nice green too.
Merry Christmas to you and family.

lena said...

my favourite and they look perfect! cute and pretty too!

Anonymous said...

Well, i'm quite new in baking...but i would like to ask how to make pandan paste? thanks

~michelle~

obat asam urat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
小雨伞 said...

我来了;食谱也取走了!!:)

Chik Mimi said...

sangat cantikkk

ogyep yummy mellow said...

wow.. look so fluffy.. something that one can't resist..

Roses_Leo09 aka Hanim said...

hi sonia
so nice. yummy .... yummy ....

Angie's Recipes said...

My all time favourite sweet treat is chiffon. I love their lightness, airiness and softness. Just heavenly.

Yannie said...

Sonia, can I ask you a question? I hope you won't find it stupid. Can I use normal pan for baking Chiffon cake. I don't want to invest in the chiffon tin before I master the skill. :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Yan, yes, you can use a normal pan to bake a chiffon but do not use a non-stick pan. Also you have to beat egg white till stiff because the normal pan has no insert or tube at the middle to support the cake to rise. Hope this help.

ICook4Fun said...

I love the heart shape chiffon pan. Very cute. I miss the time where I can go to my mom's backyard to cut some pandan leaves for my baking and dessert. I tried growing it here but it can't survive the winter :(

Baby Sumo said...

Hi Sonia, it was great meeting up with you and your wonderful family yesterday. Thanks so much for your hospitality. All the food that you prepared was so yummy... my brother "hoovered up" all the stuff I brought home. Hehe :)

Broccoli Ginger said...

Hi Sonia, do you have the measurement in cup? I do not have a weighing machine.

Unknown said...

我也来拿一片当下午茶,嘻嘻!

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
刚想做这个烫面戚风。。
结果分蛋失败。。。做其他了。。。
搞怪。。。><

mui mui said...

Sonia,
This is a evergreen flavour.
The two chiffon mould very cute.
Just wanna ask how tall is your that chiffon mould?(the one without leg)
mui

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I really want to make this one day. I learned where to find pandan.. frozen though. :D Love the heart shape! :)

Anonymous said...

I really love reading your blog. Can you tell me how long i can keep the homemade pandan paste in the fridge? Tks.

from : jk

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

jk, you can keep well in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, discard it when it smells bad.

I Can Be said...

What flour are tiu using? Low protein or self raising ? The cakes you made really good.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I can be, I use low protein flour.

Brownie said...

Where can I purchase the heart shape baking pan ?

Soh said...

Hi, I baked this cake, butt after baking turn over to cook, end up my cake shrink 1/3, may I know where did I go wrong?
i used top flour instead of cake flour.Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Sonia, no coconut milk used?

Yin

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sonia, how long can the pandan paste last, if kept chilled in the fridge?

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, my panda cake always ended up crashing at the top, I tried different temperatures but ask turns out the same. Any advice on that?

Unknown said...

Cracking I mean

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Linda, for chiffon cake, cracking is normal, just let it facing down .

Marie said...

Hi, I had bakedone ur pandan Chiffon cake n my family love it. Can I check with u, I keep 2 pieces for 2 days outside room temperature, then I see there's moist on the cake, why is that so?
Also if I want to do other flavours of chiffon like coffee, how do I know how much coffee powder to add in? Tks.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hwee Yong Chua, since homebaked without adding preservative , so it will get spoilt very quickly , try to consume within 2days otherwise keep inside the fridge . For coffee flavour , you can just add in 1/2-1tsp of coffee powder (dilute with 1-2tsp hot water), pandan water can replace with milk, the rest should remain

Marie said...

Hi Sonia,if I want to change tis pandan Chiffon into Blue pea chiffon, do I still use 80ml of liquid? Sorry cos I know it's unrelated to tis pandan chiffon recipe.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin