If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, December 21, 2012

Dong Zhi Festival 冬至快乐 , and a bloggers gathering


Happy Dong Zhi, the Winter Solstice Festival to all my Chinese blogger friends and readers. I am sure by this moment, you all have enjoyed a bowl of Tangyuan. I have been very busy for the last two days (sorry for not visiting to my blogger's friend blog, but i promise will drop by soon) , because i was busy make preparation for Jessie KL gathering at my house yesterday.



IMG_4405 copy

A spread of good foods..

IMG_4393

Homemade roast pork (Siew Yok) from me..

IMG_4362 copy

Popiah (crepes with vegetables filling) from me..recipe coming soon

IMG_4398

They were all enjoying making their own Popiah, see Yen's husband Craig so creative to draw a Chritsmas tree using sweet sauce and chili sauce ^_^

IMG_4385

A vanilla buttercake (Madeira Cake ) from Yen....I was enjoyed this nice cake with a cup of coffee.

IMG_4364 copy

very nice Chee Cheong Fun and Tauki sheets that Quay Po bought from a famous shop nearby her house

IMG_4365

Homemade Yong Yau Fu (brinjals and ladyfingers) from Quay Po..I espeically love that brinjals, yummy..

IMG_4366 copy

Sauces for Yong Tau Fu
IMG_4374

Nama chocolate from Yen (Eat Your Heart Out) (she adapted recipe from Nami Just One Cookbook)..My 1st time tried this type of chocolate, it was very good, gonna to make this by myself one day..

IMG_4377 copy

Japanese gyoza by me..Jessie wanted to learn how to wrap dumplings, so I purposely prepared this and taught her on wrappping method..


IMG_4424

Egg tarts from me...recipe coming soon..

IMG_4317

Pandan Xiang Xi chiffon cake from me , i made using homemade pandan paste..

IMG_4320

A sweet end from me, Tangyuan in pandan and ginger soup. They all have fun making Tangyuan..
IMG_4382 copy


IMG_4420

Jessie's daughter Isabella- she is such a cute girl..

sorry, picture have to be removed due to security purposes (updated on 11 June 2014)

Jessie and her son Ethan, like mother, like son

sorry, picture have to be removed due to security purposes (updated on 11 June 2014)

Jessie's family with Quay Po Veronica
 

sorry, picture have to be removed due to security purposes (updated on 11 June 2014)

A group photo..
My great pleasure to have Jessie (Jessie Cooking Moments ) whole family came to my house, in view of her tight schedule of visiting many places during of her short visit ..And nice to have Quay Po Veronica visit me again (even she still lost her way to my house on this 2nd visit, hehehe) and also Thanks her given gifts to each of my family members, and nice meeting with Yen (Eat Your Heart Out) and her husband Craig...

 
sorry, picture have to be removed due to security purposes (updated on 11 June 2014)
 
Jessie also brought a box of nama chocolate from Royce,  and a MasterChef board for me..
She said i deserved to have this MasterChef board..You will seeing me using this board to take photos very often from now, hehehe..



I just prepapred this savoury Tangyuan soup for lunch in this Dong Zhi day. My mom use to prepare this savoury type of Tangyuan soup when i was a kid, and now i prepared for my family who 1st time trying savoury of Tangyuan..

IMG_4475 copy



IMG_4485 copy

Tangyuan (汤圆) Glutinous rice balls in soup
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

200g glutinous rice flour

1tsp caster
150g hot water (why hot water? in order to have QQ texture)

your choice of colouring



Method

1. Add glutinous rice flour and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly pour in hot water, lightly knead till combine.
3. To roll Tangyuan into balls, cover it before cooking.


Sweet Tangyuan in pandan and ginger soup


1. Boil pandan and few slices of ginger with water.

IMG_4420 2. Add in sugar and taste accordingly.
3. Drop in Tangyuan balls, once it floating on top, dish out and serve.


Savoury Tangyuan soup


Chicken stock- ( I boil chicken meat, soy bean and onion with water for 2hours)

mushrooms, sliced
pork meat, sliced (marinate with salt, light soy sauce, sesame oil, peeper and tapioca flour)
Green vegetables, your choice
Garlic oil

Method

1. Add chicken stock and mushroom slices in a pot.
2. Once stock boiled, add in vegetables, Tangyuan and meat slices.
3. Once Tangyuan floating on top, dish out and serve hot.



IMG_4482 copy

Oh, i have to go prepare another gathering tonight, my husband's friend whole family going to have dinner with us. If today really a Dooms day, so we all Cai Cai (together) go to heaven at the same time, hahaha..

50 comments:

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
冬至愉快!!
呵呵呵!!终于和Jessie相见了!!开心哦!!
那。。。咸味汤圆我不要。。我特喜那薄饼哦~~
yummy!!当然不能错过烧肉。。。
棒极了!!

Anonymous said...

can ask u where u buy the plate u put the cake?Tks.

New Kid on the Blog said...

Happy Dongzhi...

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, Happy Dongzhi. Nice gathering, all the food look very yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Have a nice day.

Yannie said...

So many good food laid on table. Nice gathering with your friends, Sonia, you are such a nice host. Good food, and good company are the best gathering.

Yannie said...

So many good food laid on table. Nice gathering with your friends, Sonia, you are such a nice host. Good food, and good company are the best gathering.

Ling yuen chin said...

我要吃homemade roast pork! 流囗水了。。

Esther Lau said...

Hi sonia, 冬至快乐!Wow, lot of good foods at your house, yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

happy winter solstice to you and your family

Cheers
Sue

Casey said...

开心的聚会,好多好吃的食物哦!
祝你和家人冬至快乐!

Unknown said...

冬至快乐~
有好多好料吃叻!真开心一班好朋友可以聚在一起。

Sally said...

好开心的聚会喔。。
我也想尝尝你家的烧肉。。呵呵
祝冬至快乐^_^

Somewhere in Singapore said...

冬至快乐 to you and your family!!!

Wow, all the foods are so tempting...

Mel said...

Oh wow.... Ive enjoyed myself viewing your get together and all the food ... beautiful.

Vidya Chandrahas said...

Happy Dongzhi Sonia..food looks very delicious.

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Lots of yummy food & nice gathering :)
Wishing u and u family 冬至快乐!

Angie's Recipes said...

Lots of great food! Bet everybody had a great time in your house.

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

哇!好多的好料食物哦!
早知道我也来参加一份了,嘻嘻。。

Min said...

Happy Dong Zhi Sonia! I love your pandan Xiang Si cake the most, I can smell the pandan flavour!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

so many great food and everyone must had a wonderful time! Happy Dongzhi Sonia.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Happy Winter Solstice Sonia! So great to have a gathering on this day, makes it even more meaningful. :) love your spread of food!!! Yums!

Ana Regalado said...

That siu yuk is homemade ?! Sonia , you're awesome ! :D And all the food looks so good ! I just love that gorgeous cutting board :D Happy Dongzhi !!!

Bakeling said...

Happy Dongzhi !

May I have fork and spoon here , all these are my favourite food here !

CQUEK said...

I truly love this recipe and combination of flavor

Veronica said...

Hi Sonia, Happy Dongzhi. Looking at those fabulous food in your pictures, I felt like I was there too. Great gathering.

Dumpling Love said...

Happy Dongzhi Festival, Sonia! Looks like a fantastic gathering! Wish I was there to try your popiah...I love popiah! hehe.

Crystal Loh said...

太幸福的聚会,美味好料让人冲动也相加入一巴口。。嘻嘻!冬至快乐Sonia

Tracy Low said...

很开心的聚会,很可惜我不能够出席。下次吧。。。

PH said...

What a lovely gathering and wow so much good food!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, so nice. Happy gathering and so much goodies enjoyed by all. Your tangyuan with pandan/ginger sugar syrup is my favourite. Happy 'Tang Cheh' Festival.

My Little Space said...

Hey Sonia, Happy Dongzhi to you & your family too! It was settled on the 21st this year on the Dom Day. What a coincidence. haha.... Luckily, we're all still very much alive standing here today and should be very blessed. :o) I haven't tried making the savoury tangyuan before. Looking forward to do so. Must be so scrumptious as well. Well, soon we'll all be very busy after the school reopen a week after. So take care.
Kristy

QembarDelites said...

Wow! You all sure enjoyed yourselves huh! Look at all the good food! I love the nama chocolates from Royce too! Melt in the mouth! Happy Belated Winter Solstice to you too and we all survived the so called doomsday :D

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

my mom made popiah for Dong Zhi festival too! but vegetarian wan loh..

DesperateHousewife said...

So nice to see Yen & Quaypo here. Looks fun!

蚊子 said...

冬至快乐!!! :D

Shu Han said...

I am so jealous of this gathering, the food looks amazing :D lovely to see the faces behind these blogs!

Also made tang yuan here to celebrate, but just simple ones in sugar syrup. Nv thought of having them in soup, love the idea! kind of like mee hoon kueh, but even easier to make, plus I love the chewy mochi like texture. Such a great idea!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Food looks so good!

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

Sonia, such a heart warming gathering prepared and organised by you. Must be a lovely experience being a guest at your house. Love all the food you cooked for this occasion!
May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very happy Christmas and a wonderful 2013!!

Baby Sumo said...

Sonia, thank you so much for preparing so much delicious food for us. We really had a great time, we will invite you to our house next time :)

daphne said...

awww love reading gatherings like this..and what an awesome spread that is. It looks fantastic and more importantly, the memories you guys made!

Magia da Inês said...

✫✫✫
Passei para conhecer o seu blog.
Suas receitas são deliciosas com apresentações magníficas dos pratos.


(⁀‵⁀,) ✫✫✫
.`⋎´✫✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫
✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫✫
.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫✫✫ MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Lite Home Bake said...

Lovely spread and this is a first time I am hearing of a savoury dangyuan, interesting! Since Dong Zhi is over and Christmas is around the corner, wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas! And aren't we glad the speculated Dooms Day is behind us too :)

lena said...

hi sonia, i'm admiring your gyoza !! Merry christmas to you!!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, once again, thanks for your thoughtful Christmas gift and appreciate your effort in making so many yummy food for us. It was great catching up with you, Yen and hubby. It is a shame I had to just say hello and goodbye to Jessie and family. I wish I could stay to taste your tong yuan and gyoza. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family. Big Bear Hugs.

yvonne said...

Wow, Sonia! It was a great feast cum bloggers gathering! The food on the table is so tempting and my tummy is growling, now lunch is approaching.

Happy Winter Solstice and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

mui mui said...

Oh'!!! Sonia,
That is such a full and warm gathering.
Full ... Because lots of delish food and
Warm ... Because of great friends:)
Drooling looking at all your food..especially the siew yok:p

Belated happy Dongzhi:D
mui

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Happy Dongzhi! I didn't know about this until this year. xD Sounds like you all had a fun time!

choi yen said...

I didn't have any tong yun this year, make me raving fo it now reading ur post T_T

Alice said...

another fun time with a yummilicious spread!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Now only, I have time to visit friends' blog, hahaha! I really like all the food that you prepared for us on that day, the long missed popiah,the xiang si cake & your famous roast pork belly! Checked my statement just now, the Aroma hotel has released the deposit to us. Thanks for hosting such a great party for us. I forgot to tell you that luckily I took Isabelle to have shower at your house as both Ethan & her fell asleep in the car on the way back to the hotel!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin