During the recent visit to Kyoto and Osaka Japan, i ordered Gyoza almost in every meal because I love gyoza very much..And i like the gyoza served in 餃子玉将shop the most.
Previously i either use store-bought Chinese dumpling wrappers or do my own wrapper, see my old post .Recently I find this Japanese gyoza wrapper is good, you can get it from Tesco..
I even made my own La-Yu (Japanese chili oil ) to add into dipping sauce, just fry dried chili with cooking oil.
I also put up a post to show you how to wrap dumplings or gyoza..check here.
Japanese Gyoza (Potstickers) 餃子(recipe source : by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover, dipping sauce adapted from Nami Just One Cookbook)
350g minced pork (prefer with some fat)
100g cabbage, chopped finely
1 stalk spring onion, chopped finely
1tsp grated ginger
1/2tbsp Japanese light soy sauce
3/4tsp salt or to taste
200g Gyoza wrappers
For each frying
1tbsp rice vinegar
1tbsp soy sauce
1/8tsp La-Yu (Japanese chili oil ) – I use homemade chili oil, just deep fry dried chili with cooking oil, take chili oil and discard the fried chili.
1. Mix filling ingredients in a mixing bowl, use a pair of chopsticks or use hand to mix till sticky.
2. Wrap filling with gyoza wrappers, refer how to wrap dumpling or gyoza steps.
3. In a medium non-stick frying pan, heat oil on medium high heat. When the pan is hot, place Gyoza in a row (touching each other) at the center and place the rest of gyoza to fill up the entire pan.
4. Fry gyoza till bottom turned golden brown, add in water and immediately cover with the lid, steam Gyoza till most of water evaporates.
5. Remove gyoza to a serving plate, and serve hot with dipping sauce (just mix all seasonings together).