The other day my sister called me up asking me whether i want 3 kg of fresh crabs, i immediately said sure i want because i don't know where to get fresh crabs from my area. Even the big pasar (wet market) nearby my place, i have never seen peoples selling fresh crabs..
I use half of the crabs cooked with rice vermicilli and canned pork ribs, it was yummy, my mother and sisters enjoyed so much. As for the balance half, i steamed it with glutinious rice for dinner. So total 3kg crabs finished in the same day..Once i have finished cooked dinner, sky already turned dark, so this time i simply took few pictures, no table setting and no beautiful pictures ..
Crab shell with roe
I prepared two types- one type is steamed crabs on top of cooked glutinous rice
Another type, stuffed rice into crab shells
Enjoy cooked rice with crab roe, simply good!
The taste of freshness from crabs is absorbed into the rice, yum! advise to enjoy them while hot!
Since i was rushing, below recipe just an estimation, you need to adjust accordingly. Next time, i will add little dark caramel sauce into rice as i feel darker rice look more appetize, hehehe..
Steamed Crabs with Glutinous rice 糯米蟹飯
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
Savoury steamed glutinous rice
500g glutinous rice, wash and soak for 4hours but not more)
5 shallots, peeled & sliced thinly
2 garlics, chopped
40g dried prawns, wash & soaked
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and cut into cubed
300ml water or more
dark soy sauce
light soy sauce
salt to taste
sugar to taste
1. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the shallot and garlic till aroma.
2. Add in dried prawns and mushroom, stir fry for 1min.
3. Add in the drained glutinous rice, and add in the seasoning. Stirring and mix well for 1 -2 mins.
4. Transfer the rice into a steaming tray, sprinkle water on top of the rice.
5. Steam for 45-60mins ( stir rice for every 20mins, sprinkle some water when necessary).
Steamed crabs with glutinous rice
Cooked glutinous rice
Fresh crabs, clean, cut and pat dry
1. Arrange crabs on top of cooked glutinous rice, sprinkle wine over crabs, Or stuffed cooked glutinous rice into crab shells.
2. Arrange ginger slices and spring onion on top of crabs.
3. Steam for 10mins and serve hot.