If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, September 23, 2013

Mooncake Cookies 香化饼 (公仔饼)

When you have leftover mooncake's pastry ingredients, what to do with them? Try to use them to make this old fashioned of mooncake cookies. When I was young, I ate this cookie more than the mooncake with filling as this cookie was cheaper..



 
When my son Lucas break one cookie to try out, he said why this cookie is hard and why no filling? Nowadays kid will not appreciate this kind of simple cookie..
I told him, never mind let mommy finished them all ^_^..
 
Before bake...
 

 
After 1st bake, it is ok when you see the cookie cracked. Once they completely cool down and store for few days, it will turn ok..


This is a type of cookie that you don't need to keep them in a air-tight container, because when they turned soggy, it will taste even better !


Mooncake Cookies 香化饼(公仔饼)
(recipe source: inspired by Crystal, adapted from Kingdom of Tasty life )
*makes 9pcs

340g Hong Kong flour or Plain flour
170g golden syrup ( I use special mooncake syrup)
50g cooking oil or peanut oil
1/2tsp + 1/4tsp alkaline water

Method:
1. Mix oil, golden syrup and alkaline water in a mixing bowl
2. Sieve flour into a mixing bowl, make a well in the flour and stir in syrup mixture. Mix till a soft dough but do not over mix. Cover and rest for 5hrs or more ( I keep overnight).
3. Equal divide the dough (I weight 50g) , roll into a ball then slightly flatten it.
4. Place on a baking pan that line with baking paper.
5. Bake at pre-heated oven 170C for 10mins, remove and rest for 15mins or till cold. Bake again for another 10-15mins.
6. Cool on a wire rack, then transfer to a container, keep for several days on room temperature until cookie turned soft then can be enjoyed.

34 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

近年来不及做,留明年:)

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

我家剩余的是馅料, 这个等明年吧!

Bakericious said...

Sonia, I usually dun like to eat this but today I ate one very delicious that my colleague bought in Penang, so now I am in love liao :D

Victoria bakes said...

I never had the urge to bake this but everytime I see your bakes, I am just tempted

Mel said...

Oh, I loves this as this brings back some childhood memories. I remember I ate this cookies but made in piggy shape; and the piggies sold and pack individual in the plastic cage.

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

Look lovely, boleh cuba ni.

janice said...

hi sonia,
may i know where do you keep it overnight ? in fridge or just over the counter please ? thanks

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Janice, I kept at the counter in room temperature..

ann low said...

I've not eat this type of mooncake cookie for a long time. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
哈哈哈!!还真的要漏风才好吃!!哈哈哈!!!
中秋虽然过了,可是老莎还是很想再做,再diap.... =P

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves this...

Tracy Low said...

这个我个人不是很喜欢,但我还是要进来say hello的。

Fion said...

这个我太想做了,可是没时间。。。
来看妳的好了,谢谢 ^^

My Little Space said...

Have no time to make mooncakes this year. Only managed to stir up some snow skin mooncakes at the very last minute. Missed these biscuits. Some friends have requested me to make this as well. Wish I can have some of yours right now.
Enjoy your evening dear.
Blessings, Kristy

ice pandora said...

I've made mooncakes this year c:
It was fun! I'll try to make these
mooncake cookies next time! Such
a great idea! Xx

Esther Lau said...

Sonia, same like you I like this kind of simple mooncake cookies more than those moncake with filling. Simply delicious and not too sweet ;)

Jozelyn Ng said...

This type of cookie was always made to pig shape and put in a plastic cage!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, I baked 'koong chye peang' with or without fillings every year. Homemade ones stay good for at least 2 months, less oily and sweet.

Ana Regalado said...

Maybe some shops here are selling it as well ?! Those cookies look yummy !

Crystal Loh said...

Sonia,这个真的好吃horr..

Cecilia Yap said...

I have not tried this kind of cookies before.

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Like this simple mooncake as it brings back my childhood memories. Great to go with a cup of hot tea or kopi-o :)

Sokehah cheah said...

When I was a kid, I looked forward to this cookie which came in a little plastic 'chee loong'...very cute.

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hey A-Chi! The cookies look great esp the shot before they were baked! So shiny and smooth!

But i have not tried this before. May I? :D

Little blue said...

simple ingredients also can made delicious cookies, want to try this...

Unknown said...

What a good idea to make mooncake cookies. Honestly I don't like mooncake filling so these cookies suit me fine.

Sally said...

这个好吃哦,我也好喜欢。。。

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Caca said...

so happy to see this recipe here. It is one of my favorite cookies.

lena said...

i guess this is the same as the piggies cake in the little basket...nvr eaten them for so long ..

Angie's Recipes said...

What a clever use of leftover mooncake skin! They look super, Sonia.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. What is the purpose of alkaline water? I cannot seem to find it in the shops. Is it possible to make alkaline water at home?

Suzy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, i made your traditional lotus moon cake the other day and it's delicious.
I just made the dough for this cookie and realized that the dough is drier than the moon cake dough. Is it supposed to be like this or should i add more syrup and peanut oil to achieve the same texture as the moon cake dough? Please advice. Thank you!

Alicia

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Alicia, yes, this dough is drier than moon cake dough, actually this is a type of biscuit but not mooncake, so you are expecting to have dry biscuits like texture. Also you need to wait for few days before enjoy as to let the oil return and made it soft.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin