If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pain Autumn ( wholemeal Artisan Bread) 全麦面包

Personally I prefer French bread more than Asian soft bread, example like Baguette or Pain de champagne a.k.a country bread, love the crisp crust and a chewy and soft crumb. Since I learned how to make overnight sponge dough, I have been using this sponge dough to make this type of French bread and I usually made wholemeal type.


wmb3 copy

 
Now I have running out of idea what background and setting to take photo. I was searching for a rustic look of setting, look like this drawer is perfectly matched. I cleared out the things inside this drawer and took the photo here, crazy me, LOL..
wmb5 copy

In order to achieve crisp crust, you have to spray water few times while baking..

wmb4 copy

 
I use blade from shaving to make the cuts, in fact it is very effective !
wmb

 
I followed the shape as shown in this Japanese cookbook, so I also follow the same name as Pain Autumn. In actual fact, I seem couldn't locate this Pain Autumn name when I google search.
wmb8


Pain Autumn ( Wholemeal French Bread) 全麦面包
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

Overnight sponge dough
215g wholemeal flour
125g water
2g instant yeast (1/2tsp)

Method

1.        Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients to a rough dough by hands , the dough is dry and rough and don't need to knead till pass window pane. Cover tightly with cling film and immediately store in the fridge for overnight (at least 12hours) or up to one week.

To prepare wholemeal bread
1 quantity of above overnight sponge dough
wmb2 copy 85g high protein flour or bread flour
30g water
1tbsp Olive oil
1/2tsp instant yeast
1tsp sea salt

Method

1.Tear the overnight sponge dough into pieces and add all ingredients, knead till smooth dough and elastic. (I use KA mixer, knead about 15mins). Cover with cling film and set aside to proof till double in size
2. Punch down the dough to expel air, equal divide the dough to 3 portions, shape into oval shape.Let it proof for another 30-45mins. Dust with bread flour, and make few diagonal cuts with sharp knife.
3..Bake at pre-heated oven at 200C (fan forced) for 15mins or until golden brown. Place two bowls of boiling water underneath as to create steam and spray water from time to time (I spray 3 times), this is to create thick crust and soft and chewy crumb.


Sometime we use this bread to prepare sandwich like this (posted in my Instagram), and my hubby also like to spread with peanut butter..

32 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

第一名!!!!
所以
你要请我吃面包,哈哈

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
唤醒我喜爱的嚼劲感面包 ^^
太棒了!!很饱腹哦!!

Mel said...

oh wow, looks beautiful your bread. So well baked. I really like crisp crust bread....you bet, I gonna make this one day!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Good afternoon Sonia

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Pls courier 1 pc over, lol

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Have a great day ahead...

0620 said...

我误闯了面包店??
面包太漂亮了啦!!

Little blue said...

Look really nice...can i have a cup of coffee and slice of bread??!! we tea break together...hehe!!

Anonymous said...

i would love to made this wholemeal bread, the only problem is the flour is actually twice times more expensive than the store brought bread.....

Unknown said...

That is a really beautiful loaves! And the drawer is a really nice place to take pictures of these rustic loaves.

Veronica said...

Sonia, you've certainly achieved the rustic setting to match your rustic bread loaves. I loved how you make those slits on the loaves, gives the bread a beautiful look. Thanks for sharing.

Victoria Bakes said...

absolutely gorgeous Sonia... i always get so excited whenever i see you posting. my daily inspiration indeed

Esther Lau said...

The design of this bread is beautiful!!!! Your photo also looks awesome with this rustic setting!!!

Karen said...

i love this type of bread too, how good can have good tea time with sifu you..hehe..anyway, put in my to do list liao..:)

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

The drawer is a nice touch! Very rustic looking. And the bread looks nice and crusty...the pattern on the bread is quite unique! I'd love to eat this with lots of butter!

Angie's Recipes said...

Sonia, your wholewheat loaves look as good as the artisan bread in the bakery here! Well done!

Min said...

Haha, I actually admire your idea of setting up the background, clearing out all the things in the drawer and take photos. Good job!

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , your wholemeal bread look perfectly-baked and so beautiful ! The presentation is gorgeous , you really achieved the rustic look by using that drawer :D

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

These bread look so pretty, I want to keep one for myself, you know, I don't have time to bake already, so must quick quick reserve one from you!

Lite Home Bake said...

Very beautifully made. The presentation and the loaves are a perfect match, brilliant idea.

Unknown said...

Sonia, i like this kind of bread too. thanks and will try this next time.

Jozelyn Ng said...

I like the cut on the bread, looks so nice!

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, c'est pain d'automne! It's bread of autumn. hopefully my french can help you a little... :)

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day and beautiful Sonia, true!
i now have these on my list and gorgeous photo; great hint and tip too!
Cheers! Joanne
@mickeydownunder

Li Shuan said...

Very nice bread. Sorry I come late sure no more liao!

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

Favourite of my husband and I. Your bread looks so delicious and tempting. Well done.

My Little Space said...

You made such pretty country bread. Missed my bread making so much.
Kristy

Cecilia Yap said...

Very nice bread and live the rustic background.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Sonia, this is just beautiful. I need to work more on bread making this year! I get so much inspiration from you!

lena said...

wow! that's really beautiful! i hope i can make slits in the bread like you !

Nic said...

Hi I tried your recipe and my dough is very dried. So I added more olive oil and some milk. It turned out very nice and soft! Thanks!

Nic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin